PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Really Let Down

kaigal
01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Lately I've been feeling a frustrating type of dejection that I know is effecting me. Near the end of August I began my novel and using only pen and paper, I finished with the draft before November hit. This was sooner than I had anticipated as I had estimated that with work and everything, I wouldn't finish the draft until around Christmas; but instead, I finished the revisions and the editing. It made me feel really proud of myself.

Now however, I've just been wanting people to look it over and tell me what they think. Unfortunately, it's not working out. Before I joined AW, despite that I haunted the forums, I was a part of Nanowrimo. I have been since October. I got two people that asked if they could critique my novel for me so I gave them the first four chapters which amounts to 30 pages. That was three weeks ago and I've heard nothing back. Now I know people get busy and everything, but I've critiqued others work from the Nano listing and I've taken no more than a week to do it. I know that if I were going to take longer, I would update the person waiting and tell them what's going on, but even that hasn't happened.

Forgive me if I sound whiny, but all I've asked for is the same help I've given. Right now I've begun work on my second novel but I feel that because I'm pretty sure I'm flying solo, that I will be second-guessing myself the whole way. Has anyone else ever felt like this or is feeling like this?

Parametric
01-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Three weeks ago is right before Christmas, right? I'm not surprised your critiquers haven't gotten back to you yet - too busy roasting turkeys and unwrapping presents. It's great that you were able to critique so quickly, but I'm not sure everyone can manage a week's turnaround. Maybe pop them a polite email asking them how things are going?

kellion92
01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
What para said. Plus not every crit partner is a match. Another teeny point: You did give them a digital or otherwise printed copy, right? Longhand would be very tough and distracting to read.

kaigal
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
What para said. Plus not every crit partner is a match. Another teeny point: You did give them a digital or otherwise printed copy, right? Longhand would be very tough and distracting to read.

Oh, lol, yes. They have a typed digital copy, that's how I edited it. It's easier to type it and edit what I can see when I can see it as a whole.

Para's right, thanks. I'll wait until the end of the week and then shoot them a poliet email for an update. Thanks you guys! :)

Parametric
01-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Glad we could help, kaigal. You might find it helpful when you're recruiting beta readers to be up front about any expectations you have. Just set a rough deadline in your original post, and if they miss it, send them a friendly email to ask what's up. Best of luck. :Hug2: