• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Contemporary Romance Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
I'm working on what I hope will be my second published novel. The working title is "The Davis Years". It's going through my critique group right now, but the problem with that is they only see a chapter or two at a time. I'd like to get a beta reader or two to read through the whole thing and give me thoughts on it. Basically, I'm looking for a story-level critique: what things about the story don't work for you? What does work for you? Of course, I'd be happy to read something for you as well. I can send the synopsis if you'd like. Here's the pitch I'm working with at the moment. It's kind of rough, but it'll give you the general idea:

After graduating from a small college in South Carolina, Jemma lands her dream job in Florida. Before she can buy her train ticket to Florida and pack her bags, Ebony shows up and threatens to take away her college degree and her job. Ebony, her dead mother’s boyfriend’s daughter, has the power to do both. She knows Jemma’s darkest secret and she’s using it to try to make Jemma to come back to Derring, Virginia and recant her testimony so that her father can go free. Ebony’s father is the man who Jemma blames for the deaths of her entire family. Jemma is almost sure she will not go back until she reconnects with her best friend, Emily Rose, for the first time in six years and discovers that Emily Rose is getting married.

Jemma must go back to Derring for her best friend’s wedding and to deal with Ebony. But that isn’t all that waits there for her. Davis, the boy she never got over in high school, is also in Derring. Neither of them wants to get tangled up in the other. Jemma is afraid of reverting into the doormat she was six years ago after she’s tried so hard to reinvent herself and Davis doesn’t want to ruin her life the way he’s ruined his own. They fall into a reluctant love that quickly turns into burning, passionate love affair. Jemma must get out of this love affair she’s afraid will destroy them both and save her future from a drug dealer’s daughter before her new job starts. If she doesn’t, her life may go off-track for good this time.

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
I also need a beta for a novella of approximately 40,000 words--much less of a time commitment if anyone's interested. It's also a contemporary romance. The first part of it is posted on authonomy if you want to check it out. It's entitled The Ex Project and you can link to it through my blog (link for blog in my signature).

AliceWrites

Writing jazz
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a version ready, I'll beta read your novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.