When should I assume it is a "no" with an email query?

evol_reed

Registered
Reaction score
Over the past two weeks I've sent out 16 email queries to agents. Of those, I received one rejection within 48 hours. Of the remaining 15, nothing. How much time should I allow to pass before I assume I've been rejected?

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
2 weeks ago were the holidays, they probably weren't too big on working then. Consider them working from the 4th onwards, so in reality it's been exactly one week?

Give it a bit and if you want send another batch of queries to help pass the time.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
With the movement towards no response being a no, I'd assume it's a no immediately, and keep querying.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
^ By which I don't think Wayne means that it necessarily IS a no, but that you should query and forget it. (unless I misunderstand) Don't pin hopes on lingering no responses -- keep moving.

But most agents say 6 weeks to 3 months means a no, depending on the agent. The shorter period is probably more accurate.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
The guidelines of each agent should answer your question. There's no general rule -- it can be from one week to one year, or "consider no reply a no". While waiting, continue to query others.

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
One thing - did you make sure that these agents were actually open for submissions when you sent them? Some agencies have just re-opened from the holidays. Aside from sorting through the holiday backlog, agencies who weren't accepting during this time period might have automatically deleted your query. But I wouldn't say to resend them (unless you're SURE a certain agency wasn't open for queries when you sent it) because you don't want to piss anyone off

Aside from that, I would agree with everyone else, and tell you to practice playing the waiting game ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
If you're willing to invest the money, hard copy querying has been about a 90% response for me. I prefer it, but can't afford it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I've been checking the agent's websites to see what they list as average response times, but also checking on querytracker.net to see what sort of stats they have. I put all that information into my spreadsheet so I can go back and check off the "it's a no." If there's no response time, I'm assuming two or three weeks is a no and moving on to the next. If I actually do get a response, like someone said, it's more of a pleasant surprise than anything.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Some of those average response times are bullshit. I've gotten emails back from publishers and agents who say "Average response time 3-6 months" within 2 hours.

I would just assume they are rejections, move on and continue querying, worst case scenario you are right. Best case they respond later on :D

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I mark a query off my list after 2 months with no response. I've been pleasantly surprised with a couple of requests after several months. Then if a rejection comes in, it's no big deal, they're already on my "no" list.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I've had responses to e-queries come as late as six or seven months after it was originally sent. Two weeks is nothing; when three months have passed, chalk it up to a "no."

Unless (there's always an "unless") the agent's website says they respond to all queries. If it says this, and 3 months have passed without a response, try re-querying. It may have gotten misplaced/lost/never arrived in the first place.

Ace!

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to post the same question. I got responses from all mailed queries and maybe three from e-mail queries (probably 15 e-mail queries).

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Some of those average response times are bullshit. I've gotten emails back from publishers and agents who say "Average response time 3-6 months" within 2 hours.

It's worth pointing out that 'average' means that some will be less and others more. When someone has what's perceived as a hot property, the response can be lightning fast. That doesn't mean the stated average response time is 'bullshit'.

AryaT92, it would be helpful for you to get your head around the idea that your experience is extremely exceptional -- in the sense that's it's an exception to the norm. Which is terrific for you (and I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically). But you need to understand that what's happened to you isn't remotely typical, and it isn't helpful for you to give advice to others that's founded on your extremely atypical (and I might add, limited) experience.