Offering classes online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone remember when, I believe it was Amazon.com, offered classes online? They were usually free, though sometimes required the purchase of materials.

I'm investigating the best avenue to set up online classes as part of the pre-launch to a book, and suddenly recalled that years ago Amazon used to offer classes.

It would be ideal to offer these classes via one of the booksellers, but in a cursory search I couldn't find anything at the big three onlines bookstores as far as classes.

Perhaps it's right in front of me and I missed it.....

For those of you with experience offering online classes (spiritual genre), I would be most grateful for any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Thanks!

:)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure it was Amazon? I know Barnes & Noble had them.

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're right, NKOK. I think it was B&N.

At this very moment I'm investigating online e-learning platforms, but finding open source options that include a discussion forum is proving to be a challenge.

I don't really need all the "live" meeting/presentation features either....

Moodle is cool but isn't web-based and I don't want to get into having to deal with installation on a server, etc., etc.

Oy.

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Really, Medievalist? From what I could tell, you had to be able to install it to a server that had php. Is there a web-based version -- or a partner that is offering it -- that you know of?

Thanks. :)

Deleted member 42

Web-based means that users interact via a Web browser. You're using a Web-based discussion forum right now. It resides on a server and uses PHP and MySql.

A lot of ISPs/Server hosts have one click install for Moodle, or specialize in Moodle. Google moodle host.

A better question would be do you have enough potential students to make this worthwhile?

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for being patient and trying to educate me, Medievalist. :)

Maybe the correct term is web-hosted -- like the Ning social networking platform. They take care of hosting, so there's none of that worry; on the other hand, you also have very little control.

I understand there are pros and cons.

Yes, there are enough students, especially as there are several authors I'm looking into this for, and there are a series of classes. I don't want to get myself into a situation where I'm pulling my hair out with web glitches and issues, as I am obviously NOT a techie. That's why I'm trying to find a platform for e-learning that is comparable to the Ning platform for social networking.

I use bluehost and I believe they have a one-click setup for Moodle...I'm just nervous about going in that direction unless I have to.

Thanks again! :)

AliceAnderson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alice-anderson.com
Classes/Workshops

I've used Moodle before to teach classes and as Medievalist said, many web hosts have one click installs for it. So you're talking $5 - $10 a month for hosting and $10 a year for a domain name.

For the workshop I'm teaching next month I'm just using Yahoogroups. There's space for files, all conversation is done via email and it can all be archived right there on the group. You could of course use Yahoogroups in addition to 3rd party software if you needed to. Since in my case I'm teaching folks how to develop a website in wordpress, I have a wordpress installation that I send folks to so that they get "get their hands dirty" so to speak. A link to that is located right on the YahooGroups homepage where all students can find it.

Hope that helps,
Ally

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Ally, that does help. Thanks very much! :)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the Yahoo Groups suggestion. I use them to teach two online workshops and it works fine.

Deleted member 42

s.

Yes, there are enough students, especially as there are several authors I'm looking into this for, and there are a series of classes. I don't want to get myself into a situation where I'm pulling my hair out with web glitches and issues, as I am obviously NOT a techie. That's why I'm trying to find a platform for e-learning that is comparable to the Ning platform for social networking.

If I were you, I'd use Live Journal. I'd pay the 25.00 for a pro account, which means no ads, more space, and more control, and you get email copies of all comments. You could do it with a free LJ account, but the paid one is more flexible.

I'd create a Live Journal Community. Your students could create free LJ accounts, and use logins that they might already have from OpenID, etc, to log in.

You can post files, and images, and control privacy very easily.

If you also want some ancilliary Web space, I'd look at Google Sites. They're free and don't require you to know HTML.

Here's some stuff to read from the live journal help files.

The Complete List of LJ FAQs

What is an LJ Community?

How do I create and Manage a Community
?

Yahoo Groups is another option, but they're a little cruder, as are Google Groups.

nccreative

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again, Medievalist. I'll check it out now. :)

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
Thanks for starting this thread -- it was helpful to me, too. I currently teach a book publicity course in a Moodle forum but I'm starting to explore other options. I don't think Yahoo groups would suit my purposes, but I'm going to look into Live Journal -- thanks for the tip!

Also, regarding your original question, I know B&N taught courses online but I don't know anything more than that.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.