PDA

View Full Version : How did you find the fellow writers you "click" with?

Sophia
01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
If you have a writing friend who you've clicked with in terms of what and how you write, would you share how your relationship came to be? I realized that I've been in on-line writing forums for around fifteen years hoping for it to happen, and I haven't managed it, so I'm beginning to have the faintest inklings of a suspicion that I could be doing something wrong! :e2hammer:

semilargeintestine
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
All the writers I've clicked with have written things vastly different from me. But, I'm still able to learn things from them, and they inspire me to keep writing.

EFCollins
01-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Here. I found the writers I click with best right here on AW. Damien (dgrintalis) and Kara (KMMcelhinny)... they are the best. As for what they write, I'd just about devour anything they come up with. They're both good, although vastly different. I can talk to them about anything--neither of them are ever too busy, or too stuck in their own stuff to talk me through something, writing or personal. They are both my friends and I adore them. I has teh lurves for them.

However, amongst the horror hounds, it seems like I found a group to affirm that I am most definitely not as insane as I seem. It's a kind of kinship where we're all nuts. ;) The Hounds are great and I have fun talking to them or reading what they've put on the forum.

AW cowboy, CDaniel, I've known for longer. He, AngelRoseDarke and SCDenton and I all came here from the Writer's Digest forums at around the same time (I found AW and was like "OMG, guys check this forum out!!"). Danny boy is my buddy, writes westerns and is a hoot to talk to. Angel writes non-fic and Steve writes horror. They're good peoples.

I don't know any writers in real life.

LostInReality
01-12-2010, 12:21 AM
To echo EF...Here. I found the best beta here on like my third day with AW. She and I write somewhat different but not so much that we don't click. So, for me, I guess it was just dumb luck, although I prefer to call it good timing, and keen observation! So yeah...dumb luck! :)

Wayne K
01-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I found all my writer friends here. I started on the bottom and got comfortable. :D

Here's the weird thing. In RL I get along with women better than men, and somehow that followed me into the internet. I don't get it, but it's the way it is.

Shadow_Ferret
01-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I don't know what you mean by "click with."

JLCwrites
01-12-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't look for writers that write the same. I click with writers who have the same personality. Writers are great writing buddies across any genre. In fact (IMO) I think it is better when they don't write the same thing. Less competition that way. ;)

JLCwrites
01-12-2010, 12:39 AM

Get along with..
Become buddies...
Develop friendships...
Etc...

And more ellipsis.....

backslashbaby
01-12-2010, 12:46 AM
In terms of what and how I should write? Mine's a strange genre to start with, so I've had more success with betas than I thought, but it's hard to discuss. You just have to read it, usually.

That said, I love so much of the advice on this forum. And agree with it :)

Is your writing an unusual genre or anything? Some ways of writing aren't going to excite evryone, but it doesn't mean they are bad :) Necessarily ;) ;)

Jess Haines
01-12-2010, 12:53 AM
I have a few beta readers.

One is from AW (I did a beta of her stuff in SYW, and things just clicked).
Two are from one of my day jobs.
Another I've known for years, met through a mutual friend.

Mostly, I found people I was comfortable with, and chose to work closely with them. It's worked out very well.

Wayne K
01-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Get along with..
Become buddies...
Develop friendships...
Etc...

And more ellipsis.....I ask cause I don't really know. Is it "Click with" or "Clique with"

KellyAssauer
01-12-2010, 01:15 AM
I'll let you know when it happens. =(

I shouldn't say that,... there are a few writers here that I get along with really well. We encourage each other and are very supportive of each other. Our styles and perhaps our genres are different. Finding just the right like-minded person in my genre is difficult, finding a beta is appearing impossible.

bclement412
01-12-2010, 01:16 AM
I get along best with the teens here, plus my beta readers :). I'd be nowhere without you guys. :)

quickWit
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
You're all a bunch of weirdos.

Lavern08
01-12-2010, 01:24 AM
You're all a bunch of weirdos.

Yeah, and you smell funny too!

quickWit
01-12-2010, 01:27 AM
Yeah, and you smell funny too!

Nice manners, babe! No wonder you don't 'click' with anyone.

:D

ETA: On a more serious note, I have to say that the first thing I look for in a fellow writer to click with is large breastses'es'. That's key.

Lavern08
01-12-2010, 01:37 AM
ETA: On a more serious note, I have to say that the first thing I look for in a fellow writer to click with is large breastses'es'. That's key.

Sooooooooooo, are you sayin' you wanna be my *friend* ????

quickWit
01-12-2010, 01:50 AM
Sooooooooooo, are you sayin' you wanna be my *friend* ????

Well, if you were to give yourself a grade...as a *friend*...what might that grade be? A, B, C or D?

Lavern08
01-12-2010, 02:01 AM
I'd have to give myself a D ...

...I know, I know, it's a curse sometimes.

** Blushes **

quickWit
01-12-2010, 02:02 AM
*smoothes unibrow*

Well, hello there. :D

KellyAssauer
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
I have to say that the first thing I look for in a fellow writer to click with is large breastses'es'. That's key.

*Whew!* That's the best news I've had all day! =)

(I'm low on the bunneh "clicking" scale =)

scarletpeaches
01-12-2010, 02:13 AM
I PM'd thethinker42 to ask for her email address "because I have some photos of Joaquin I think you might like."

And lo! A legend was born.

Our bond was formed in blood and mancandy, and you all envy us. So nyar!

Lavern08
01-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Got any pics of Johnny Depp? ;)

KellyAssauer
01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
A little eye-candy for the Wabbit:

(don't get too crazy now)

http://z.about.com/d/esl/1/0/0/a/donkey.jpg

JLCwrites
01-12-2010, 03:02 AM
I ask cause I don't really know. Is it "Click with" or "Clique with"

Those in a clique click. Whereas not all people who click are in a Clique.

And, when in California..

Click it, or ticket.

Inky
01-12-2010, 03:11 AM
Well, let's see:
She's not into playing the dumb blonde role in order to gain male attention,
She's not into swapping partners,
She accepts that my voice will differ from hers,
She admits when content may not catch her attention...

Bloody 'ell...I think I need to make her my beyotch!

mario_c
01-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Actually, I only come to AW for social fun. The focus here is more fiction, so as a scriptwriter I'm out of my element. But fsck it I like it here. And you comedians in here especially :)
I'm lucky to have found several writing groups online, and near where I live (by near, I mean 1 1/2 hours away in NYC) where we support and critique each other but get to know and like each other as people. We've gotten into fights and at the end of the year we go out to clubs together, or we meet for dinner. This is my life, social included. I have normal friends but they just don't understand me the way these guys do, and that's important. :rolleyes:

Xelebes
01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I have yet to really click with anyone. Mind you, I'm really bad with clicking with people.

AryaT92
01-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Boom. Headshot!

Xelebes
01-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Boom. Headshot!

ggnextmap

brokenfingers
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
We all served in the same cell together.

Vincent
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
The writers I clicked with, I clicked with via the AW chat room.

Is that still running?

DeleyanLee
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
My best friend of more than a score years, I met at a face-to-face crit group. She was impressed with a chapter I'd submitted and had more indepth commentary than the group rules allowed, so we met for coffee after the meeting. Commentary turned into discussion which turned quickly into friendship. We've collaborating together several times, brainstorm and crit. While, in general I don't write books she wants to write, and vice versa, we both write books the other enjoys reading. And we've got our egos enough out of the way that we can be really supportive of each other.

My other main crit bud is someone I met on another writers' site, in their chat room. She was a new writer, full of questions that required more in-depth conversation than the chat culture would tolerate. Again, we went elsewhere to discuss things, got to talking about personal stuff, exchanged a few snippets and respected--even liked each other's work. Phone calls ensued. Friendship blossomed.

Haven't *clicked* that way with anyone from AW yet, but there's several possibilities in the making. Y'never know.

Inky
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Too many years spent being an open-book, I no longer click. I'm like a light switch: always in the 'off' position.
*flips peace sign*

Shadow_Ferret
01-12-2010, 11:34 PM
I have friendships from here, but I don't have any "writer friendships" from here, not like Peaches and Thinker, where we exchange our writing and BETA it. I guess I just can't abuse my friends by making them read my crap.

LOG
01-13-2010, 06:33 AM
I've never clicked with anyone.

Rose English
01-13-2010, 06:48 AM
Yeah, I don't seem to look for writer friends in real life. I get what I need from here. :hi:

dgrintalis
01-13-2010, 06:54 AM
I've made some terrific friends here on AW, friendships that extend past the 'what are you working on today' sort of thing. I :heart: Effie-EFCollins. She and I have 'twin brains' so it's awesome for brainstorming ideas or just talking about normal life/non-writing stuff. And I :heart: my beta-readers, all of whom are AW member, all terrific writers whose opinions and feedback I trust implicitly, including a certain sheep who very kindly pointed out a glaring chess error in my MS.

Chasing the Horizon
01-13-2010, 09:01 AM
I have yet to really click with anyone. Mind you, I'm really bad with clicking with people.
This.

I prefer imaginary friends anyway.

scarletpeaches
01-13-2010, 09:15 AM
It was hard for me to pinpoint the time when I 'clicked' with thethinker42...it's one of those "can't remember a time before..." things. I dread to think where my writing would be otherwise.

*shudder*

That's not to say I wouldn't be writing, or wouldn't have found my genre...but I wouldn't have got so good, so fast without her. I'd still be on the learning curve but it wouldn't be as steep.

That alone is the biggest thing AW has done for me.

Regan Leigh
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I have a couple of people that I've clicked with on AW.

One day I decided to admit a little secret... *gasp* I'm a writer in hiding. I messaged one of my best friends from high school, asking her to beta read my WIP. She responded by admitting her own secret. *gasp* She TOO was a writer in hiding. :D So, I yanked her into AW with me. :)

The best friend connection I've made on AW started with a PM telling me one of my links didn't work. From there we found that we both respected the others writing. He makes me laugh non-stop and I entertain him with my goofiness. :) I fill his inbox daily. ;)

I've connected with others on here, but those are my biggest ones. I have a small running list of people I'd love to meet in person from AW, but no cash for the plane tickets. :Shrug:

aadams73
01-13-2010, 01:29 PM
I kidnapped mine from conferences. I keep them in the basement where they're forcefed pizza and prose.

slcboston
01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
.... most of them tend to prefer I *not* find them....

At least that's the impression I get from all those restraining orders and cease and desist motions.

Adam
01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
This 'ere forum. Full o' lovelies, so it is. :)

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
I have a couple of people here that let me blow off steam when my ears turn red and make me laughs out loud, but as far as my writing goes, it is piling up on thumbnail drives only to be discovered in the event of my death...which I think a few people here are already planning.

scarletpeaches
01-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I kidnapped mine from conferences. I keep them in the basement where they're forcefed pizza and prose.You only do that because you know cheese triggers migraines.

Curse you and your quattro formaggio - curse you to Hades!

Lavern08
01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
... only to be discovered in the event of my death...which I think a few people here are already planning.

Drat - Who snitched? :Shrug:

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Drat - Who snitched? :Shrug:

Yeah, I'm watchin' you.

scarletpeaches
01-13-2010, 09:18 PM
You can't watch both of us, bitch.

Just sayin'...

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
You can't watch both of us, bitch.

Just sayin'...

Never underestimate the power of the Acer cam.

scarletpeaches
01-13-2010, 09:19 PM
I have minions.

We walk among you.

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 09:21 PM
Gawd, is that what those are? Crikes, I think a ran a couple over yesterday. My bad.

CaroGirl
01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I guess I just can't abuse my friends by making them read my crap.
If your crap actually spells out words, you really ought to give Ripley's a call.

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't resist. This one goes out the the peach.

http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/poo.jpg

CaroGirl
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM

Okay, ew.

kayleamay
01-13-2010, 09:36 PM
I know. Impressive, isn't it?

scarletpeaches
01-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Christ on a fucking bike. Shitlove. That's...well that's a new one on me.

nitaworm
01-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I found many at the yachatlit spinoff from twitter, and others that beta read my stuff here.

seun
01-14-2010, 11:34 PM

http://goodbadandugly2.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/poo.jpg

Everybody stop posting. Nothing will ever beat this.