once in a lifetime offer!

EnkelZ

Registered
Reaction score
Free to who ever wants it, unabridged dictionary (approx 20 pounds) with yellow tabby cat glued to cover (approx 12 pounds)!

[ begin rant ]

I just lost 10 minutes of work. (Of course now it's probably the best writing of my life.) Not because I like flushing my time away, but because my cat banged the right combination on my keyboard to reboot my computer and the WP only saves backup every 10 min.

Does anyone else have feline writing challenges? This cat is like having a baby monkey trying to sit on, rub against, and roll over my mousing hand. She came here because she was originally wild (hated people). I liked her that way. Now she's spayed and a major PITA. I can't begin to count the number of times she's caused me to accidentally mouse something wrong.

Any hints on how to make a cat hate you would be greatly appreciated!

Grrrr...

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Act as if you would like nothing more than it to pay attention to you and love you.

In my experience, that keeps cats away like reverse-catnip.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what to do about the cat being glued to top of dictionary....

You might want to keep a small water spray bottle near by and squirt her with it when she starts to come near. After you do this a few times she should leave you and your computer alone. Good luck.

EnkelZ

Registered
Reaction score
I did have the water bottle for a while, but my nerves couldn't take the thought of squirting water around my one-and-only, can't-afford-to-replace-it computer.

"Act like I want her near me"... I'm doomed.. I actually hate cats. This one came here to be a mouser... as in keeping field mice away... instead she's taken to my (computer) mouse and mouse pad and I'm always fighting for it.

She's not glued to the dictionary YET, just its the closest heavy object... thought about dropping it on her, but alas, I have trouble hurting animals... then figured I'd just glue her to it and she wouldn't be able to jump up on the desk anymore.

If there were a no-kill shelter near by, she'd be gone already. As it is, I can only hope that she finds love and runs away from home.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She will read what you just posted and kill you in your sleep.

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't kidding. Most cats hate affection when they're the ones that aren't initiating it.

Every time you see her, pick her up, hug her tightly, and plant big kisses all over her face. And if she comes near your desk, pat your thigh, make smoochy noises, look her in the eye and try your damned best to make her come over.

Most cats won't. The reason cats love the shit outta' cat-haters is 'cause the disdain you're showing for them includes the very signs that cats look for to determine whether or not other animals are approachable.

Stop being aloof and she'll stay away from your territory. My Mom's cat hates me for the very reason that I've been trying for years to make her love me.

EnkelZ

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, not_HarryS, I'll try this. If it backfires, you might get a lumpy, wiggly package in the mail one day.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I could send my anti social beast over and see if she rubs off on yours.

But Catslave is right - you're doomed.

I have tried using the water bottle thing and she just looks at me, like why did you do that? It doesn't affect her behavior at all.

not_HarryS

Peen Copter Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, not_HarryS, I'll try this. If it backfires, you might get a lumpy, wiggly package in the mail one day.

No worries. My Westie and Schnauzer'll make short work of 'er.

I can't emphasize enough the physical aspect of the affront on your cat. Seriously. Pick her up, squoosh her, let her know that she's the purtiest little thing in the whole wide world.

Think Elmira from Tiny Toons.

Your cat'll never forgive you.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Surround your computer in orange peel (or something else citrus), it's a good deterrent. Our family cat was never that interested in computers, but whenever we had a board game out, he would either walk through all the pieces (scattering them!) or sit in the middle and patiently wait for some attention...

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First, get over your cat hate. Or find a family that wants an affectionate cat to love.

Second, learn to hiss. Yes, like a cat. Tell your cat no when she is approaching your mouse then when she reaches for it hiss. She will get the message but you must be consistent, as you would with any animal. Cats can be trained. It is a lie that they can't. I have taught all my cats to stay off of tables and countertops, just using the "no" and the "hiss" -- no water spray necessary.

I am sorry you lost some minutes of your writing. Hopefully you will be able to retrieve it and perhaps even make it better than the original. Good luck.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I have a Kill Policy when it comes to cats. See one...kill one. So I do not share your affliction.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could always just shut your door. Just sayin'.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, I really wish you wouldn't do that. Having grown up with a dad who was cruel to and abused animals it is hard for me to read such things, particularly by a person I admire as much as you.

It isn't humorous at all.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Dang! What kind of computer do you have? I didn't know there was a combination that could make it reboot automatically.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Kevin, I really wish you wouldn't do that. Having grown up with a dad who was cruel to and abused animals it is hard for me to read such things, particularly by a person I admire as much as you.

It isn't humorous at all.

oh, jiminy crickets....