PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go?

Susie
01-11-2010, 08:32 AM
The temp. I mean. What were you thinkin'? :D Our temp here in Florida is 25 and that's way too cold for us thin-skinned Floridians. What about your temp. Stay warm 'n cozy indoors, k. Drink hot cocoa! :Hug2:s for warmth.

L.J.
01-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Well, the forecasters were predicting 16 and 13 as the lows for this weekend here, but I think 18/19 is as low as it got (or will be tonight).

alleycat
01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
It's currently 16 in Nashville. We've been several degrees below normal for the past couple of weeks, including a little snow last week.

Susie
01-11-2010, 08:36 AM
Way too cold, guyz. We better stock up on extra hats, mittens, socks and long johns, yeah, the dessert kind too. :D

Xelebes
01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
It's about freezing here and it's going to stay like this for the next two weeks. Absolutely balmy coming from Edmonton.

Pyrohawk
01-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Way too cold, guyz. We better stock up on extra hats, mittens, socks and long johns, yeah, the dessert kind too. :D

Especially the dessert kind. Mmmmm my favorite pastry/donut.

Its lows in the teens all week here. Including right now a temp of 13. Last week was worse...it dropped in to single digits for a couple nights.

AryaT92
01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
23 in MD.

mario_c
01-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Well there goes another reason to live in Florida.
12 here in CT. What I love is that earlier today I was happy we hadn't had any really bad deep freeze days. Yeah, go ahead and blame me, everyone else does.

kaitie
01-11-2010, 11:24 AM
Cold enough that I never could convince myself to get off my butt and go running today. :/ Which really stinks because goodness knows I needed to. I'm even in my running clothes. Argh. Maybe I'll go do 3k. Might make it back before it gets dark. *hates the cold*

(for the record...above freezing but I don't have central heating!)

bettielee
01-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Will not comment, for fear of people sending horrible things to me in the mail.

thethinker42
01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I think it dropped below 50 here the other night. Almost had to break out a parka.

bettielee
01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
Please send all the horrible things you thought about sending to me to tt42 c/o Japanistansylvania

thethinker42
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Please send all the horrible things you thought about sending to me to tt42 c/o Japanistansylvania

WHUT?? It dropped into the scary 40s the other night, and now you're telling people to send me horrible things.

Meanie.

bettielee
01-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Yep. :)

These people are having little white bits of frozen rain fall on them, and you complain about 40's!! People have been killed for less.

thethinker42
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Yep. :)

These people are having little white bits of frozen rain fall on them, and you complain about 40's!! People have been killed for less.

Not my fault they live in places where the rain freezes. If that happened here, all the palm trees would die!

sadron
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Well, it was - 32 C in where my parents live and it's not lowest even. Many years back, there been - 40 C even.
I heard some American scientiest had figured out that there will be high score cold this winter, so is this happening already? Will February be colder?

bettielee
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Not my fault they live in places where the rain freezes. If that happened here, all the palm trees would die!

if it happened here, all the joggers and their tiny dogs, and the children in the jogging strollers, would die.

kaitie
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
It's definitely been a lot colder this winter even here. I keep hoping for snow. If it's gonna be dipping down to freezing at night I want snow, darn it!

Rarri
01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Damn you and your good weather ;)

We seem to be getting to around minus ten at night (though there's been much worse, i hear) and zero through the day, though that's not including wind chill. Despite that, our toddler refuses to wear anything but his nappy during the day (apart from when we go out, ha ha).

Ken
01-11-2010, 03:54 PM
... coldest it gets around here is in the single digits. Don't recall its ever dipping below zero. It's been in the teens at night here for the last week or so. Forecaster says it's gonna warm up toward the end of the week. Will believe it when I see it ;-)

Fran
01-11-2010, 04:19 PM
It was a tropical 3C on my way to work this morning - it was around -8C on my way to work all last week. The ice is finally melting and it's amazing how mild 3C feels after weeks of minus temperatures.

Alpha Echo
01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
13 degrees this morning when I left for work. But it's supposed to get warmer - like 50 I think - on Wednesday for a few days! It'll feel like spring!

Kaitie - I believe that if it's this damn cold, we might as well be getting enough snow and ice to keep us from having to go to work!

KTC
01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I hate cold more than I hate anything in this world. I'm seeing all minus temps lately and I'm sick of it. In Lamu, I was seeing 113F/45C temps and ABSOLUTELY LOVING it! Since my return, I had at least one day that was -4F/-18C. My favorite temp would be about 104F/40C. Anything less than 89.6F/32C is TOO COLD for yours truly.

Alpha Echo
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, KTC, and you live in Canada? I hate cold too. I would much, much, MUCH rather be hot and sweaty than cold and shivering. But I thought when I was in the Bahamas, that was perfection. Cool, breezy mornings; sunny, 85 degree days; cool (like 70 maybe?) nights. Perfect.

YAwriter72
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
In Maine, the thermometer was sitting at 0 Fahrenheit this morning (As in temp, with no wind chill!!)

KTC
01-11-2010, 04:41 PM
In 60 days I'm off to Cozumel for some early spring cold relief. I'm hoping it will be mid 30s at least.

Ambrosia
01-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Susie... I live in upstate NY so you can figure out how blasted cold it has been and will continue to be. Plus we have the feet of snow to match it.

When I saw your title on the thread I thought of the limbo game and how these days I would be lucky to walk under it without touching. I certainly am not going to be bending backwards. That is for young people. ;)

Kevin, dude, you really need to get out of Canada and take your family to warmer climes. Being able to wave at each other across the Lake is no consolation for loss of warmth.

Alpha Echo
01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Susie... I live in upstate NY so you can figure out how blasted cold it has been and will continue to be. Plus we have the feet of snow to match it.

When I saw your title on the thread I thought of the limbo game and how these days I would be lucky to walk under it without touching. I certainly am not going to be bending backwards. That is for young people. ;)

First of all, I don't envy you! I am never going any further north, that's for sure!

Second of all, I thought of limbo too. A few months ago, the Little One concocted a limbo game with a giant piece of ribbon tied to two columns in the family room. It wasn't too low, but it was low. She of course wanted me and her Daddy to try to limbo.

I used to dance. But limbo was not happening. Both of us old folks (and i"m not even that old!) ended up on our knees. LOL

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm a freak. I like cold. Heat makes me want to mame things. I live in Portland, OR and the climate here is very temperate. No extreme highs or lows. But, I have lived in Mississippi and swore I was going to hang myself from one of those bottle brushes they call trees if I had to take another summer there, and I've lived in Idaho where the temp stayed below 0 for most of the Winter. I'll take the cold...and the snow, and everything that comes with it.

I want to move to Fairbanks. Maybe not forever, but at least for a year or more.

Silent Rob
01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm a freak. I like cold. Heat makes me want to mame things. I live in Portland, OR and the climate here is very temperate. No extreme highs or lows. But, I have lived in Mississippi and swore I was going to hang myself from one of those bottle brushes they call trees if I had to take another summer there, and I've lived in Idaho where the temp stayed below 0 for most of the Winter. I'll take the cold...and the snow, and everything that comes with it.

I want to move to Fairbanks. Maybe not forever, but at least for a year or more.

Do you want to be a hockey mom?

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
No, I want to make a nice pair of red fur boots. I've been taking taxidermy classes. :D

Silent Rob
01-11-2010, 05:44 PM
*hides in igloo*

Fran
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't like heat either, kayleamay. I'm a born icy Viking* Scot. :D

*I don't know if I'm really a Viking. I'd love one of those DNA test thingies that tells you where your ancestry is but it's expensive. I know I'm Norman on my mum's side, so maybe if they just did my dad's bit it would be half price. :D

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't like heat either, kayleamay. I'm a born icy Viking* Scot. :D

*I don't know if I'm really a Viking. I'd love one of those DNA test thingies that tells you where your ancestry is but it's expensive. I know I'm Norman on my mum's side, so maybe if they just did my dad's bit it would be half price. :D

We both have red hair. We both prefer cold. We both like to write and when I joined this site you were smart enough to keep me from using a muppet avatar. I think...you might be my sister. We'd better order that DNA test. My dad got around.

Silent Rob
01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I've got red hair too!

Family reunion!

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
*pictures family of women vikings all wearing knee-high red fur boots*

Sure thing Rob!

thethinker42
01-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Uh oh, another redhead? And I'm from the same region of the US as Kaylaemay.

Do I get to come to the family reunion too? :D

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh shit! I forgot about that tt42. Of course you're invited. Rob has enough back hair to go around.

Geez....my dad was pretty prolific.

Silent Rob
01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
*grumbles* Don't think I like my new sisters anymore.

*plucks morosely at hair*

thethinker42
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Oh shit! I forgot about that tt42. Of course you're invited. Rob has enough back hair to go around.

Geez....my dad was pretty prolific.

You forgot about me? :cry: I has a sad.

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
What I meant was....I forgot my dad wandered north too. Oreo? :D

DeleyanLee
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
It was 7F while standing for the bus this morning. It was cold enough when I got up that the floor of my bedroom was frigid.

Our water pipes have been frozen since Saturday. There's no hope of a thaw (and a shower, doing dishes or flushing toliets) until probably Thursday at this rate.

I've come to hate winter as of late.

thethinker42
01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
What I meant was....I forgot my dad wandered north too. Oreo? :D

Oreos make everything okay. :D

Silent Rob
01-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Oreo. *opens mouth as wide as possible*

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 06:56 PM
*hands tt42 a nice plate of Oreos. shoves wrapper in muppet's mouth.*

Wow. It is like we're one big happy family.

Fran
01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
:e2arms: Group family hug!

kayleamay
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
:hooray: :e2grouphu

R.G. Alexander
01-11-2010, 07:19 PM
It was 21F this morning. I live on the beach in south South Carolina. That was cold as (*&%& for here. They even predicted snow. That didn't work out. I was sad. :( I really don't like it here. Me want snow dammit!

Snowstorm
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Winter rocks! We've hit -30 F only once this year. Nights are hovering around 0 F. Not much snow this year, way below average. Rats. Haven't been snowed in once this year. Yeesh.

Danged global warming.

R.G. Alexander
01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
-30? holy shite. 21 is cold.

backslashbaby
01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
It is 28F at the moment. It's not that 20's/teens at night is so unusual here; we get colder. It's that it's been that way for days upon days.

We were snowed in before Christmas and I still have snow outside. That's very odd here!

Susie
01-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Kevin, dude, you really need to get out of Canada and take your family to warmer climes. Being able to wave at each other across the Lake is no consolation for loss of warmth.

Stay warm, everybody, k. Ambrosia, drink hot cocoa, here are warm :Hug2:s for you 'n all and let's move to Hawaii. Has to warm there, right? Yeah, I figured I'd make it like the limbo dance. :D

truelyana
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Despite the coldness here, I think it doesn't really matter in regards to the weather. It's been really beautiful outside, crisp and white. :) I can live with being cold, I think it's just a matter of adjusment.

rhymegirl
01-11-2010, 10:33 PM
It's about 30 degrees here.

Pyrohawk
01-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Despite the coldness here, I think it doesn't really matter in regards to the weather. It's been really beautiful outside, crisp and white. :) I can live with being cold, I think it's just a matter of adjusment.

I agree. I'm gonna be brave and go out on a limb here but..... I like winter. There I said it. I get a kick out of snow. Not so much the ice, but I definately love snow. And the cold I can deal with until its gets ridiculous. Dunno what it is...but I just feel good in winter. I'd rather be a little cold than a little hot any day! I hate the heat with a passion. It just saps the energy out of me and I have no desire to even go outside when its really hot.

Though this last week has indeed been below my comfort zone. Basically as long as it stays above 20 degrees F I'm happy.

ad_lucem
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
64F

Yeah, it's nice here in "winter" but the 5-6 month long summer is a bi@tch.

Fran
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
64F

Yeah, it's nice here in "winter" but the 5-6 month long summer is a bi@tch.

I just had to Google 'summer' - I'd never heard of it. Seems it's when the rain's warm. :D

ad_lucem
01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I just had to Google 'summer' - I'd never heard of it. Seems it's when the rain's warm. :D

Sonoran Desert Summer (n):

Period of the year which begins one to two months before the summer solstice during which time small children rush to the fridge to find eggs to fry on the sidewalk--much to their mother's consternation. Also, a period of time in which oven-mitts are required for use while driving the car and the point when the community pool is roughly the same temperature as bath water.

Toward the end of this period (September or October-ish--sometimes slightly before...hard to tell thanks to climate change) one may also be treated to thunderstorms which involve howling winds, blowing dust, and non-stop lightning flashes--but little or no rain--followed by painfully humid days and the inevitable replacement of every Mesquite tree in the neighborhood (thanks to their wonderfully shallow root system).

Rarri
01-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Winter's ace, i just don't like the fact that as soon as i move away from a radiator, i begin to lose all warmth. Even with a warm laptop, big furry boots, hoodie and heating, i'm still cold. Brrr.

Rarri
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM

It's when you only need your cag, rather than cag and fleece (and hat, gloves, scarf...).

archerjoe
01-11-2010, 11:21 PM
The first week of January was pretty cold here:

Date High Low
1 -5 -27
2 -9 -33
3 -2 -28
4 +5 -12

The last time we had -40, I ran outside and threw a panful of boiling water in the air. If the water spreads out quickly enough, the rapid temperature change will change it to snow.

Fran
01-11-2010, 11:30 PM
It's when you only need your cag, rather than cag and fleece (and hat, gloves, scarf...).

Oooooh, that's when you're wandering round in warm air but it's raining and the only way to stay dry is to wear a jacket but if you wear the wrong one you feel like you're boiling in the bag. Got it. ;)

Adam
01-11-2010, 11:54 PM
T'was -11 (Celsius) here a few days ago, and hit -18 in some parts. It's warmed up a bit now, but even so we're only now able to get the cars off the street, and I'm still waiting on mail that should've been delivered way before now. :rolleyes:

Being snowed in loses its appeal pretty quick. ;)

Rarri
01-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Oooooh, that's when you're wandering round in warm air but it's raining and the only way to stay dry is to wear a jacket but if you wear the wrong one you feel like you're boiling in the bag. Got it. ;)

Exactly! It's a fine science.

MsGneiss
01-12-2010, 12:22 AM
It's hovering around freezing here in NYC. Good news though - since it's too cold to be outside, I have more time for AW. So, woo hoo!

alleycat
01-12-2010, 12:30 AM
It 37 and sunny here in Nashville, which is more typical for us for this time of year.

Susie
01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
Ya know, this is the first winter here I can remember than I just can't get warm. I'm wearing a fleece jacket in the house, even though we have on the heat high, and I even use a heating pad, but cold anyway, specially my hands and feet.

Mela
01-12-2010, 01:32 AM
My co-worker came back from Brazil earlier this week where it's summer time - he said it was 120. He's very tan.

Xelebes
01-12-2010, 01:52 AM
-30? holy shite. 21 is cold.

-30F is nothing. We got hit with -50F (-46 C) this December.

alleycat
01-12-2010, 02:00 AM
My co-worker came back from Brazil earlier this week where it's summer time - he said it was 120. He's very tan.
I've got the BBC Journal on at the moment. They just did temperatures around the world. It's currently 99 F in Rio.

R.G. Alexander
01-12-2010, 02:13 AM
I like cold, but that is just too much. -50. Sheesh.

Selanfene
01-12-2010, 02:18 AM
It's been hovering around 0 lately... it gets down to -25 or so at least once a year.

Ken
01-12-2010, 04:45 AM
The last time we had -40, I ran outside and threw a panful of boiling water in the air. If the water spreads out quickly enough, the rapid temperature change will change it to snow.

... neat!

archerjoe
01-12-2010, 06:49 AM
... neat!

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDuPyod1WU) demonstration. It's not me in the video but my results were the same. There are other videos from this guy showing pounding a nail with a frozen banana, sledding on a frozen towel, and more.

Silver King
01-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUDuPyod1WU) demonstration...
I didn't see any snow falling! I was expecting flakes softly drifting down to earth, not a stream of flash-frozen water spattered through the atmosphere.

As usual, I must've been expecting more than was possible. :D

archerjoe
01-12-2010, 07:38 AM
I didn't see any snow falling! I was expecting flakes softly drifting down to earth, not a stream of flash-frozen water spattered through the atmosphere.

As usual, I must've been expecting more than was possible. :D

OK, this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3CKgZEitw&feature=player_embedded)shows it better. I think to have floating flakes there would have to be no wind and the boiling water would have to be spread out quickly.

Silver King
01-12-2010, 07:56 AM
OK, this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3CKgZEitw&feature=player_embedded)shows it better...
That clip is better, but the result still doesn't appear like snow fall, to me anyway.

But what do I know? :)

Ken
01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
... wow :-O That's intense! I could see that happening with cold water, but with boiling water! Thx for the demo.

Susie
01-12-2010, 09:40 PM
That was fun, archer, thx much for sharing!

Susie
01-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Today was the first day that it wasn't frigid in Florida. Still a chilly 35, but not too bad. First day we ventured outside, too. Stay warm, y'all! :)

regdog
01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
ppphhhttt 35 we'll be reaching that later this week with our mid winter thaw. It's a balmy 8 here this morning. Starting to hate winter

Susie
01-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Oh, my Gawd, Heather, 8 is like non-temp. Stay warm, don't venture out and wait 'til the Spring thaw! :) :Hug2:s!

R.G. Alexander
01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Bump, and getting my thread subs back.

Ken
01-19-2010, 05:58 PM
... mid 40s here. Time to pull out the sandles & shorts.

R.G. Alexander
01-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh no Ken, a regular heat wave.

Ken
01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
... tis for me.

Susie
01-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Here in Fla. it's a bit warmer, but not as nice as Ken's weather. Sounds great!

Alpha Echo
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
I've responded to this thread before, but I just wanted to announce that when I looked at the subject of it today, I thought it said, "How long can you go?"

And I started thinking about this weekend.... ;)

stormie
01-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Now that I've stopped laughing at Alpha's post.... :)

It's finally warm enough here to walk several blocks without gloves, hat, boots, scarf, long underwear....

Alpha Echo
01-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Now that I've stopped laughing at Alpha's post.... :)

It's finally warm enough here to walk several blocks without gloves, hat, boots, scarf, long underwear....

Yay! I made everyone laugh! The thing was, my post was true!

It was warm enough for us to take the 5-yr old outside so she could ride her new bike (with training wheels). She'd been riding it around the house, so it was nice to let her get outside.