Fill-up my TiVo

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have searched the guides. I have watched the trailers. I have recorded pilots. Yet, I can not fill up my TiVo because I have only a handful of shows that I've become die-hard enough over to record and watch with any regularity.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to recommend series to me that I can add to my recording list and hopefully fall in love with, so I have something to watch at 4:00 in the morning when everyone else is asleep.

To give you an idea of what I like, here's what I'm currently recording:

Weeds
Dexter
Ugly Betty
Miscellaneous documentaries from the History Channel
Bored to Death
Men of a Certain Age
Modern Family
US of Tara (if it comes back)

Any suggestions? I have about eighty billion channels, (husbands idea, not mine), so I should be able to find just about anything you can recommend.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every single episode of Magnum, PI.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was born in 1972. I have already been there and done that. I have also watched every episode of The Muppet Show...more than once. :)

Then there is nothing left for you to achieve in life.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a bump....cause I still need suggestions and I'm not ready to die yet, although the muppet suggested it.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers...if you insist on being 'modern'. It has the finest theme tune apart from Magnum, PI that I can think of.

Lost
Heroes
Smallville
Scrubs (also good for professional development in your case)
Desperate Housewives

These have probably all finished in the US, but we don't get them till later.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't watch TV, but I have The Shield on dvd. It's great.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go British....

Being Human
Doctor Who
Torchwood
Mouth To Mouth
Skins
Shameless
Misfits
The Inbetweeners

Elle, I will be looking into all of these. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Cheers...if you insist on being 'modern'. It has the finest theme tune apart from Magnum, PI that I can think of.

Lost
Heroes
Smallville
Scrubs (also good for professional development in your case)
Desperate Housewives

These have probably all finished in the US, but we don't get them till later.

Lost
....lost me in season 2 and I shall never go back.
Heroes....went nowhere in a hurry, but I could probably tolerate it in small doses (i.e. on my iPod).
Smallville...I think I'm over the official age limit for that one, but it's cute how you still fantasize about Superman and all. (I'll keep it quiet about the underoos and red cape. ;) Our little secret.)
Scrubs....seen them all. They're in syndication on about 4,000 different networks here.
Desperate Housewives....haven't watched it since Season 1, but maybe I could give it another shot....like Heroes....in small doses only.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Smallville...I think I'm over the official age limit for that one, but it's cute how you still fantasize about Superman and all. (I'll keep it quiet about the underoos and red cape. ;) Our little secret.)

I won't stop watching until he learns to fly, damn him.

Have you tried Flash Forward? I've never seen it but several nerds of my acquaintance seem to like it.

R.G. Alexander

Princess Awesomesaucer
Registered
Reaction score
I also recommend everything that ElleFire has. I am gonna throw in Top Gear and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Top Gear is all about cars, but funny as hell. Ramsey is well, Ramsey.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't stop watching until he learns to fly, damn him.

Have you tried Flash Forward? I've never seen it but several nerds of my acquaintance seem to like it.

Haven't even heard of that one. Now, I must google.

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, another one (and this is actually from the UK) is Cold Feet. It's from the 90s but the only good piece of TV we've ever made.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch TV, but I have The Shield on dvd. It's great.

I actually own that on DVD (or at least my husband does so...same thing) but I've never watched it. I'll give it a shot.

I also recommend everything that ElleFire has. I am gonna throw in Top Gear and Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. Top Gear is all about cars, but funny as hell. Ramsey is well, Ramsey.

Are these reality shows? I like the new pawn shop one, but usually I can't get into these enough to follow them for long.

R.G. Alexander

Princess Awesomesaucer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Ramsey is kinda a reality type show. When I think of reality show I think of like Jersey Shore or some such. Ramsey is just a really mean Scottish dude who is an awesome chef kicking other shitty chefs in the ass and helping them make their failing resturants better. Top Gear is a car show/talk show. It has 3 middle age British guys as the presenters. They do a bunch of silly, funny as hell things in between talking about really fast cars. I don't give a rats behind about cars, but those guys are funnnnnny.

Side note: Jersey Shore=train wreck that I can't take my eyes off of.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the pilot for Glee and am adding it to my TiVo list. I'm still not sure if I will love it, but it will be great to torment the husband with. I haven't been able to do that since Gilmore Girls ended.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Top Gear was named the program of the decade recently on a tv poll here!

Also try ...
Coupling (like friends, but British)
Gavin And Stacey
Red Dwarf
Blackadder
Six Feet Under
Carnivale

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely Fabulous, if someone hasn't mentioned it yet.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Ooo Coupling!! Good stuff. You and me Ellefire, we could be goooood friends. :)

I'm sure one of the girls off Coupling is now on 'Nurse Jackie' (also worth a watch) I must google, she was my fave character. The dark haired one.

edited to add. I'm wrong on that, I've googled. But still add Nurse Jackie to your list :D

Last edited:

R.G. Alexander

Princess Awesomesaucer
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about Nurse Jackie, but she def. on "Leverage". I am not sure if that is a good show as I have never watched it.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've never seen anything you mentioned there, but these are my recommendations:

Going with Elle on the Doctor Who here (uh...duh). I'd personally recommend seasons 2+, but that's just because I don't like the ninth Doctor. (*waits on the hate mail to arrive*).

Also, I'd recommend the original Life on Mars (not the American version) which was really awesome.

I watched Pushing Daisies this summer and adored it. Same for Dead Like Me.

Avatar the Last Airbender. :D Because yes, it's that awesome, and you'll want to see the show before the movie comes out this summer (squee!)

Uh...I don't really watch much TV, but those would be my recommendations.