PDA

View Full Version : Spin Off: What languages do you speak?

TabithaTodd
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Which languages do you speak fluently?

My primary language is French (actually, Quebecer Joel, a mixture of French and English - very similar to Creole).

I speak English fluently, "proper" French, ASL and I understand some German, Gaelic (Irish) and Creole (had a good friend who was Creole and taught me a thing or two in the language, more or less dirty words).

I can get the gist of a bit of Greek (family married into a Greek family), Italian (similar to French, but again family married into Italian families) and Spanish (again similar to French).

maxmordon
01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
My first language is Spanish, I was taught English during my adolescence and also studied some basic French which I lest I am starting to forget.

I would like to study Italian and German, and increase my studies in French as well.

truelyana
01-10-2010, 09:19 PM
My first Language is Portuguese, and I understand Spanish, Italian and a little of French and can speak well back and write in Spanish, but only a little in Italian and French. English is my close second Language. :)

Fran
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Just English and French. I'm an enormous linguistic dunce compared to most people here. :)

kayleamay
01-10-2010, 09:41 PM
English (sort of), and enough Spanish to order beer, ask where the bathrooms are and hail a taxi.

semilargeintestine
01-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I speak both Modern and Biblical Hebrew, Yiddish, broken German, English, and some ASL.

JLCwrites
01-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I speak the language of love.

*smooch*

Kaiser-Kun
01-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Spanish (native) and English.

kayleamay
01-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh, and I'm fluent in medicalese.

semilargeintestine
01-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

Fran
01-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Does speaking Glasgow count? :)

BradyH1861
01-10-2010, 10:51 PM
English (of the East Texas variety), Spanish (with a Cuban accent due to the person who taught me), and what passes for French in Louisiana. I also know a few phrases in Irish.

I've always wanted to learn German though. Just haven't had time.

Sophia
01-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I grew up speaking Urdu and learnt English at school, which quickly became the language I thought and dreamt in and the one I'm most fluent in. I can get by in French enough to chat with my French relatives, and continued with Spanish after doing it at GCSE level - although I was just going through some verb endings yesterday and realised I'd forgotten quite a lot. I can read Spanish enough to get most of the meaning, but I wouldn't be comfortable trying to write or speak it now.

Priene
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM
English plus a certain amount of French, German and Russian.

DWSTXS
01-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Just English and French. I'm an enormous linguistic dunce compared to most people here. :)

LOL

same for me.

backslashbaby
01-10-2010, 11:00 PM
English native, best at Spanish, then French, then German. They are all pretty rusty now, but I worked a bilingual tech job (Spanish) fairly recently and took non-language classes taught in German once upon a time.

I'm not fluent in any of them, not even English anymore ;)

dolores haze
01-10-2010, 11:05 PM

My first short story was written in Glaswegian. It was completely incomprehensible to Americans.

I used to be decent in French and German, mediocre in modern Greek. I studied Ancient Greek and Latin. My first words, apparently, were in Jerriais, a Norman patois of the Channel Islands.

I think, though lack of use, that I've forgotten almost every language I've ever learned. That makes me sad.

bettielee
01-11-2010, 01:37 AM
I speak a mixture of LOLcat and something like English.

Xelebes
01-11-2010, 01:42 AM

Can you speak Scots leid?

Anyways,

Speak: English, a few sentences in German
Write: English, broken German
Read: English, German, French, West Frysian, Scots leid
Interest: Welsh, Greek, Latin

Fran
01-11-2010, 01:51 AM
Can you speak Scots leid?

I had honestly never heard of it referred to as that, but I found some online and I do understand it. That's not what I speak, I just speak strongly accented English. We jis' ca' i' talkin' the Glesga. :)

For those who are curious: http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_leid

charlotte49ers
01-11-2010, 01:52 AM
English and enough German to get around, but certainly not fluent. I can order at McDonald's, though. :)

ad_lucem
01-11-2010, 04:17 AM
English, enough Spanish to get myself into trouble or out of it (depending on my mood) thanks to 4 years of study, some French through about the sophmore level at the university, and can read a little bit o' Latin.

Having to pick up some German because my son is studying it in school daily along with Spanish. He's doing a stellar job with the German, though. The kid has more talent for languages than ol' mom.

My mom is fluent in Russian and English and reads/writes in Latin. My uncle is fluent in Chinese and English (with some Arabic).

And as both drive me up the walls...it really busts my chi that they know more difficult languages than I do....and know them well :(

Death Wizard
01-11-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm pretty much English only and not proud of it. Used to speak some Spanish, but have forgotten most of it. Can chant a few verses in Pali. That's about it.

I've always admired those who have mastered several languages. That to me is an impressive accomplishment.

Matera the Mad
01-11-2010, 04:31 AM
I don't know if I can say I speak any language fluently; I am a halting speaker. But I write fluent English, and can manage Spanish fairly well. I can navigate websites in several other languages.

I also speak enough Kittish, the native tongue of non-LOL-cats, to insult a cat well enough to incite an attack.

Judg
01-11-2010, 05:22 AM
English, French (fluently, including comprehension of Joual), German (fading, but still functional) and a smattering of Italian. I understand all the airport signs in Spanish, does that count for anything? ;)

I did take classes in Arabic and Greek way back when, but they're pretty well gone, although I can still decipher the Greek alphabet.

Oh, and a smattering of Albanian. A very small smattering, mind you. It's a very unique language, so none of my other languages help with it.

bclement412
01-11-2010, 05:31 AM
English fluently, and a lot of French, but not fluent. Yet. :) I can count to ten and name some colors in Spanish, and I can say, "I would like a piece of candy" in German.

Susie
01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Well, in that case I can speak "I would like a piece of candy" in any language. :)

MissAimee
01-11-2010, 09:01 AM
My native language is English, but I do speak very little broken Spanish, since I live like 30 miles from the boarder. I can say what my name is in French and introduce a male and female friend in French..

I would love to learn French again.

HelloKiddo
01-11-2010, 09:17 AM
English (conversational only) and Pig Latin.

That's right. I'm the jackass who did the "Pig Latin" post. :cool:

Pyrohawk
01-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm joining the group who are linguistic dunces. Its always interesting to hear people say what they can speak and then to find out where they're from. People from other countries, especially European can almost always speak multiple languages. People in America don't bother as much.

Honestly....I am incredibly angry that I have to take language classes in college. I have no desire whatsoever to learn any foreign language. I'm not going there and I'm not going in to business so why would I waste my time learning them? I dunno.... I think my Appalaichian American is showing so I better stop talking lest I sound even less cultured than I am.

But anyway. I speak English. Mild spanish....enough to understand and read it with only mild difficulty....thanks to high school and college. Also I took a few quarters of German in college and hated it so I dropped it and went back to Spanish to fill my requirement.

semilargeintestine
01-11-2010, 09:43 AM
The point isn't so much to get you to learn a language as it is to get you exposed to a different culture. If they wanted you to learn a language, they wouldn't require only one course.

AryaT92
01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Farsi and English

Pyrohawk
01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah I see what your saying. I guess I'm bitter about spending lots of money to take classes I don't have an interest in. But if I complained about every class I've had to take that I wasn't interested in....I'd be here all night :D

Oh but its actually 4 quarters of a language I have to take for the record.

Polenth
01-11-2010, 10:09 AM
I've tried to learn various languages over the years, and I had about six years of French lessons.

I still only speak English.

My brain and language don't get on.

Kenzie
01-11-2010, 10:55 AM
Other than English, I speak some French, a smaller amount of Spanish, and a few words of Italian, German and Bulgarian. I worship bilingual people and would be really disappointed if I never become one of them.

not_HarryS
01-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I speak, read, and write English, Mandarin Chinese, and Japanese fluently. Although my Japanese isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

And I love Latin. I used to get high on coke and write poetry in Latin. But I was never really fluent in it. In time, a combination of no free time and a lack of cocaine has made me forget most of meam linguam latinam.

kaitie
01-11-2010, 11:06 AM
I used to be able to read and write French fluently, but can't do it at all now. Which is a total shame because it took a lot of time to get that good. Anyway, I'm fluent in Japanese. Which isn't to say my spoken grammar is perfect--I screw up all the time. I mean I can have conversations and I think in Japanese and generally can get my ideas across unless I'm talking about something really bizarre with lingo I don't know (like medical stuff). My reading is much better, though. Speaking is really hardest for me, I've just been here so long I can do it. :)

I do sorta speak like a high school boy, though.

Rowan
01-12-2010, 05:17 AM
English and a little bit of French. I took four years of Latin/Greek but have forgotten most of that... ;)
Oh, and I actually know a little bit of Elvish! :hooray: Hey, it's fun... Tolkien was a genius!

...and I speak dog. :)

backslashbaby
01-12-2010, 05:54 AM
LOL, I speak dog and cat! Really, I have a great hiss.

And I know the important words in Hungarian, like "Cheers!" :D [the kind with a raised glass for you Brits, Scots and Irish ;)]

Don't ask me to spell it, though. Wowza, what a hard language!

Wicked
01-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I speak Spider Geek. :D

At one time I spoke a little Greek (very little), German, French, and Spanish. Not enough of any of them to carry on a conversation, but enough to get through the grocery store.

Though, in most cases it was probably more mangling the language than speaking it.

Seams
01-14-2010, 08:20 PM
english and russian(damn you military for giving me a language not many use in canada)

a smattering of others for the same reason