Spin Off: What languages do you speak?

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
Which languages do you speak fluently?

My primary language is French (actually, Quebecer Joel, a mixture of French and English - very similar to Creole).

I speak English fluently, "proper" French, ASL and I understand some German, Gaelic (Irish) and Creole (had a good friend who was Creole and taught me a thing or two in the language, more or less dirty words).

I can get the gist of a bit of Greek (family married into a Greek family), Italian (similar to French, but again family married into Italian families) and Spanish (again similar to French).

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
My first language is Spanish, I was taught English during my adolescence and also studied some basic French which I lest I am starting to forget.

I would like to study Italian and German, and increase my studies in French as well.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
My first Language is Portuguese, and I understand Spanish, Italian and a little of French and can speak well back and write in Spanish, but only a little in Italian and French. English is my close second Language. :)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Just English and French. I'm an enormous linguistic dunce compared to most people here. :)

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
English (sort of), and enough Spanish to order beer, ask where the bathrooms are and hail a taxi.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I speak both Modern and Biblical Hebrew, Yiddish, broken German, English, and some ASL.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
English (of the East Texas variety), Spanish (with a Cuban accent due to the person who taught me), and what passes for French in Louisiana. I also know a few phrases in Irish.

I've always wanted to learn German though. Just haven't had time.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up speaking Urdu and learnt English at school, which quickly became the language I thought and dreamt in and the one I'm most fluent in. I can get by in French enough to chat with my French relatives, and continued with Spanish after doing it at GCSE level - although I was just going through some verb endings yesterday and realised I'd forgotten quite a lot. I can read Spanish enough to get most of the meaning, but I wouldn't be comfortable trying to write or speak it now.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
English plus a certain amount of French, German and Russian.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
English native, best at Spanish, then French, then German. They are all pretty rusty now, but I worked a bilingual tech job (Spanish) fairly recently and took non-language classes taught in German once upon a time.

I'm not fluent in any of them, not even English anymore ;)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Does speaking Glasgow count? :)

My first short story was written in Glaswegian. It was completely incomprehensible to Americans.

I used to be decent in French and German, mediocre in modern Greek. I studied Ancient Greek and Latin. My first words, apparently, were in Jerriais, a Norman patois of the Channel Islands.

I think, though lack of use, that I've forgotten almost every language I've ever learned. That makes me sad.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Does speaking Glasgow count? :)

Can you speak Scots leid?

Anyways,

Speak: English, a few sentences in German
Write: English, broken German
Read: English, German, French, West Frysian, Scots leid
Interest: Welsh, Greek, Latin

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
English and enough German to get around, but certainly not fluent. I can order at McDonald's, though. :)

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
English, enough Spanish to get myself into trouble or out of it (depending on my mood) thanks to 4 years of study, some French through about the sophmore level at the university, and can read a little bit o' Latin.

Having to pick up some German because my son is studying it in school daily along with Spanish. He's doing a stellar job with the German, though. The kid has more talent for languages than ol' mom.

My mom is fluent in Russian and English and reads/writes in Latin. My uncle is fluent in Chinese and English (with some Arabic).

And as both drive me up the walls...it really busts my chi that they know more difficult languages than I do....and know them well :(

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I'm pretty much English only and not proud of it. Used to speak some Spanish, but have forgotten most of it. Can chant a few verses in Pali. That's about it.

I've always admired those who have mastered several languages. That to me is an impressive accomplishment.

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I don't know if I can say I speak any language fluently; I am a halting speaker. But I write fluent English, and can manage Spanish fairly well. I can navigate websites in several other languages.

I also speak enough Kittish, the native tongue of non-LOL-cats, to insult a cat well enough to incite an attack.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
English, French (fluently, including comprehension of Joual), German (fading, but still functional) and a smattering of Italian. I understand all the airport signs in Spanish, does that count for anything? ;)

I did take classes in Arabic and Greek way back when, but they're pretty well gone, although I can still decipher the Greek alphabet.

Oh, and a smattering of Albanian. A very small smattering, mind you. It's a very unique language, so none of my other languages help with it.