What does your username mean?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I know some of you use your real names, so no need to explain there, but I'm curious about the rest. (some specifically, so hopefully they visit this thread :) )

My daughter's name is Greta Darling and she was born in 2008. My real name is Ashley.

What about the rest of ya?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
It's been my username since I started planning my wedding in '04. I went to UNC - Charlotte and so did my husband. He played basketball there, so I was a fan, thus charlotte49ers.

Not that exciting. :)

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Another word for large intestine is "colon." Not hard to figure it out. :D

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Mine is Romanian, meaning "little impaler". I guess you can tell from my user name that I'm into the history of Vlad Tepes. But I'm not Romanian, I just have an interest in that country, and in Hungary as well.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Maxmordón is a medieval Spanish word from unknown origin meaning someone insignificant who passes unnoticed.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a bad-tempered old dragon, especially before my first cup of coffee.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
When I was in grade 9, the whole grade sought out a way to fund our junior high grad. We had a wakeathon and during this wakeathon, we had the computer labs. I don't know how but we managed to play Duke Nukem 3D in school so we played Duke Nukem for the whole night. I needed a login name.

Now I need to let you know that, at the time, I was a huge Greek mythology geek AND a huge geography geek. So when I wanted to choose the name of the three-headed hound of Hades, I wanted Cerberus. However, being the geography geek and having a documented working memory deficit, I chose the old name of an island in Indonesia, Celebes now Sulawesi. After playing the whole night with this name, I grew attached to it. But coming home and thumbing through the daily leafing through the antiquated atlas from the 80's, I realised my error. Over the course of a year, Celebes evolved to Xelebes, just to make the connection less obvious.

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
When I started playing in poetry, I was told that poetry comes from reflections of life. I'm sure my poetry has to do with some reflection on my life, but mostly, I like to play with words.

Albedo is a measurement of reflection; 0 albedo is total black or no reflection, hence, my username—tongue-in-cheek.

BTW, the albedo of the Earth is a wavering 0.367.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Eyeblink is the title of an old stalled novel of mine which I'll go back to one day.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I seriously lack imagination. :)

I thought about going with the full Sunday version, Franchesca, but I'm really just Fran. I'm only Franchesca when I'm dressed up all pretty and trying to be a sophisticated grown-up.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
From my fantasy book, a high moon elven name Sadron, and now my Sith character's name. It's selfmade name.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Maxmordón is a medieval Spanish word from unknown origin meaning someone insignificant who passes unnoticed.

... cool. Can relate :)
One of my favorite, related, words is supernumerary: a person who appears in a play or film without speaking lines or as part of a crowd; walk-on; extra. (from dictionary. com)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ambrosia means nectar or food of the gods... which I believe writing to be -- and I am a fantasy nut. :D

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Depending where you look, seun is either Irish, Scottish or Nigerian with various meanings.

I take the meaning for good luck or charm. I used it in a couple of my early books and liked the sound of it.

Pyrohawk

Aspiring author
Registered
Reaction score
Columbus OH...grew up on a farm in Greenfield OH.
When I was younger I was a huge Falconry nut. I used to bring books about it to school and I had a friend of mine who was a falconer (I wasn't old enough, only like 14) bring in his hawk and do a demonstration in the school gym for my classmates. Thus, I had this really cool teacher who started calling me Hawk. That became my nickname for that year and that teacher still calls me that any time he sees me.

Then in my later years of High School I got really in to Amateur Pyrotechnics. Like the serious kind, I have a stock pile of chemicals and tools and buid aerial shells and rockets and such. I'm actually quite good and can make pretty much any kind of firework and can do most effects though with questionable success sometimes :p But anyway because of that my friends started calling me Pyro.

When I joined this pyrotechnics forum, which ironically has teh exact same format and color as this one..... I just combined the two nicknames of Hawk and Pyro into Pyrohawk. Then I realized that would be a Phoenix so I started using that as my symbol and it stuck.... here I am.

Edit: Jeeesh....why do I always feel the need to write an epic essay to answer questions everyone else answers in a sentence. I should have just wrote.... Its a combo of two nicknames I've had in my life. Guess I just like to hear myself talk.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I swear to God I didn't steal Albedo of Zero's name! I didn't even know he/she existed when I joined. I just took letters out of my first and last name to spell a word.