Darksiders

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Well, been playing it for a few hours. Taken down two of the real big baddies.
Gotta say I'm impressed. It's basically God of War meets Legend of Zelda, and if you like either or both, you'll probably like this.

It's got GoW's fighting and gore, with LoZ puzzles and item accumulation.

I just love War, Samael, Uriel, and even the Watcher (mostly because he's got Mark Hamill giving him a Joker-esue voice).

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The games weak point is definitely its cut-scenes.
The voice-acting is great. But the lines themselves are almost always cryptic in meaning.
There's also a few times when things in the cutscenes seem to kind of...jump, like with Ulthane.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I didn't hear about this one until recently but I think it looks pretty neat. I'm thinking about picking it up, though perhaps not for awhile. Have to conserve my funds for all the RPGs coming down the pipe in the near future. And a couple that already have, I just haven't bought them yet...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing Darksiders while listening to Soul Bossa Nova and Alive - Jekyll and Hyde Resurrection.
It was...bemusing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread for this one, but just finished up Darksiders and have a question--how on earth was this game not sued horribly?

I mean, aside from a somewhat silly story told in a terrible way (I don't often play for story anyway, so I'm okay with that), it was a ton of fun. But the reason it was a ton of fun was because it took fun elements from different games and blatantly ripped them off.

Everything about War was basically Dante from Devil My Cry, 3 in particular. The chaos form (devil trigger), a lot of the sword moves were exactly from DMC, and even the last battle with Abaddon was a blatant rip-off of Virgil. The teleportation, the moves he did, the strategy. I beat him on the first try easily just because I thought, "Oh yeah, I've played this guy before," and did the exact same thing I'd done in DMC.

Of course, there's more. The shadow self fight (another DMC element), the guns (which I suppose could be seen as a tribute). Then there are the other games. The portal gun that's exactly like the portal gun from Portal. Other elements are taken directly from Zelda.

I haven't played God of War, so I know some of these elements are said to have originated there in the first place, but I'm just amazed that so much of the game was directly, shamelessly taken from these other sources. Anyone know how they were able to pull this off? Are copyright infringements in the video game world not taken as seriously? Or are there more loopholes? Maybe having to hit the square instead of the triangle negates them? :tongue I've played games with similarities before, but nothing like this.

Granted, fun game. Silly, but fun.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Taking mechanics and gameplay from other games it hardly a new thing in game design . . .

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
See, and I know that. It's just the fact that it's so blatant and widespread that blew my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.