Idea for Non-Fic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wwwtabithatodd.wordpress.com
My husband and I were talking. He wants me to ghost write for him for a non-fiction idea. He wants to write down all of his stories from his towing job, the crazy calls, the weirder ones, the interesting ones.

Like recently - he got a CAA call (Road side) for a woman who needed help rolling up her windows...yes, rolling up her windows. She couldn't figure it out, they were power windows on a GM that she just bought (you have to flick the button up to close the windows and she had accidentally hit the "all windows" button making all the windows go down).

Or Yesterday - One of the local high school principals played a practical joke on one of the teachers. Calls up hubby's boss says he needs to have a vehicle moved from one part of the parking spot to the other. Hubby gets there and the principal tells him it's a joke they are playing on one of the teachers. Hubby is "okaaay" can't move it if I don't have the keys to put it in neutral or I'm putting it on dollies. Principal says can you pretend to hoist it as if you were going to tow it and they'll bring buddy out.

Fine, Hubby does this, it's on the boom and the teacher comes out freaking out and the principal and other teachers are giggling telling him he's getting towed for all the times he parked crooked (they all apparently know how to park in a straight line but this guy). They finally let him off the hook and my husband gets paid to play a joke on someone...go figure.

It's stories like this that have him wanting to put out a book. Would people read it though? Be interested? Are there similar books out there like this (I haven't really found any the same, I've found repo books but not like what my husband wants to do - did I mention he's repo'ed a big boat off of someone's front lawn at 3 am in the morning without waking them up at all).

He's had roll overs, recoveries, repo's, stranger than truth situations, he even had a rollover accident with a street sweeper (not his fault, chains snapped, boss was responsible for equipment). So much to tell but how many would read?

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't be my cup of tea but I guess it really depends. Look at the world wide success that James Herriot has had with the stories of his practice as a country vet.

byarvin

Here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianyarvin.com
Who would read it? Well...everybody who both reads and loves cars.

Done well, this is the sort of thing that could be really big...who'll play you in the movie version?

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lol byarvin.

Who will play me...errr, I haven't the foggiest idea. I'd aspire to Angelina Jolie but I'm not pretty enough for her I'd think.

It would have to be someone who can both look haggard, harried and so dead tired that their black circles under their eyes have black circles. I can see this being a big thing too if done right. I'm very seriously thinking about doing this project with these three tow truck drivers. My husband wants me to write it because he says he can't string together two sentences on paper if he tried.

The other tow truck driver is retired but was in the business for a very long time. A good friend of mine. Hubby's boss, obviously, has a lot of towing experience under his belt. He's been in the business since 1974. I think I have the start of something that could be very good. Thanks you two, I think I'll go with it, now to find time for my hubby to sit down and actually dictate.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
It sounds interesting, like stories you read in Readers Digest. And it could be funny and entertaining.

Before putting pen to paper, though, write a proposal and try to sell it first to an agent. Study the market and find other real-life humor books that might be similar in scope to this idea, and target the agents of those authors first.

But do write a sample chapter first, of course.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've never written a non-fic underthecity and I thank you for the advice. I will take it gladly. I think that's a great idea (obviously) to start where you suggest. Looks like I have some research to do and a first chapter to outline and plot.

Hopefully Hubby, his boss and my friend have some time to sit down with me soon. Hubby has been doing a minimum of 15 to 25 calls a day lately (winter months are busier than a hive of bees on a breezy June morning).

Thanks again for the input ladies and gents!

Caroline

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think it sounds like a hilarious idea! I could totally see my husband reading a book like yours--he's obsessed with cars and only reads books on military history or cars. Good luck!

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I'd second the suggestion to put together a proposal and sample chapter. come back here when yuo've done it or, better, post it at the SYW forum for some feedback before you send anything out to agents. I agree that if done right, this could be a really fun, funny book.

TabithaTodd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you all for the encouragement, I need it lately.

I will be doing the proposal (any tips non fic writers?) and chapter samples. I already have enough for a few doozies of stories. I'm not sure what format I want to use (mini story style per chapter or diary style..I don't know what to do with it.. any tips or hints are greatly appreciated).

I have to admit I had a good giggle over the idea when hubby suggested it after telling me about a funny story the night he told me (he had just done the call, the one with the windows and lady who couldn't figure out how to roll them up - power windows). I don't want the book to be mean or inflammatory toward the customers he deals with or handles. I don't want them to feel "made fun of" because that is not the focus of this idea at all.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want the book to be mean or inflammatory toward the customers he deals with or handles. I don't want them to feel "made fun of" because that is not the focus of this idea at all.

I think that's a really important point and may be tricky to get right. Makes me think again of James Herriot - somehow he manages to portray the local farmers in his books as funny without being rude. I think it's because he has a real affection for them which comes through, and also he casts himself in a very funny light. Maybe that's part of the trick.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The idea could work, but to work at book length you need the stories to be told with a lot of detail for you to make them workable stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.