Status
Not open for further replies.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I grok copyright. I grok publication rights. I also grok intellectual property when it comes to inventions and discoveries. Where I'm getting lost is intellectual property in the context of fiction. Is IP the same as publication rights, or is it linked to copyright/derivative works, or is it an entirely different dog?

I ran across this bit -- a website's submission guidelines say that by submitting a story to them, you are agreeing with their terms and conditions; the T&C page then says:

Regarding any submissions you make to the site You agree that any material (including any Intellectual Property Rights in such material), including but not limited to chat services, bulletin boards or articles or stories submitted for publication on the website or in using any of the Sapphic Central services ("User Generated Content") may be retained and used by Sapphic Central.
Can anyone explain what exactly the IP in a story or article would be? Many thanks!

Deleted member 42

Copyright is a subset of Intellectual Property rights, which include trademarks as well, and a few other things. But copyright and trademarks are the two big categories of IP.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Med. So if you give up IP you also give up copyright?

Deleted member 42

Thanks, Med. So if you give up IP you also give up copyright?

IANAL

But based on that snippet you posted, you give them all rights in perpetuity to copyright and trademark.

I suspect that they are merely attempting a Cover Your Ass clause, so that they do have permission to use posters' postings, for ever, but it's awfully broad, there's no time limit, or attribution requirement, or anything.

I would not participate in any way, if it were me. But: IANAL

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree -- if they were on my list of places to submit, they'd get crossed off pretty darned quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.