Hair growth?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Can anybody give me a rough idea of how fast an average person's hair grows? Say I have a character who left the Marines two and a half years ago and has not cut his hair since. (It would have been traditional super short at that time.) How long would his hair be, roughly? Long enough for a pony tail, certainly? Down to his waist? I've got short hair myself, so I have no clue. :)

Thanks!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can only offer info based on my own hair. Two years ago this month it was right at the base of my neck. Now it is almost to my waist. I would judge about half an inch per month, or slightly more. Hair grows faster when the weather is hot. And some people's hair grows faster than others.

MM

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
My hair dresser tells me hair grows, on average, about one inch every month (4 weeks). We use that calculation to determine how much to cut on mine when I go in to see him.

Longer hair tends more toward breakage and split ends (my hair dresser talking), which could be why longer hair appears to grow less (me talking).

ETA: Based on the one inch/four weeks growth rate, his hair would have grown roughly 32.5 inches.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Those forensics shows use 1/2 inch a month. So they can tell when people were poisoned, etc.

Mine grows an inch a month. Well, most of it (my hairline is different). Which reminds me that race usually plays a role, too. African-American(African-British, etc) hair can grow slower. Does grow slower? I'm not certain about whether it's just common or a given.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get mine cut for two and a half years when I was a student and it finished up halfway down my back.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
About every two years, I finally get around to cutting my hair. I have about a foot cut off (and donated.) That fits with the 1/2 inch per year.

I don't have much problem with breakage myself-- but I'm also very low maintenance. Don't brush but once a day (and only enough to get the tangles out-- does that sound bad?), don't use any styling products, dyes, or even a blow dryer. My dad, however, has hair that tangles easily and thus breaks easily when he combs it. His doesn't grow long. (His beard grows better than his head hair.)

SarahMacManus

Registered
Reaction score
Ex hairdressing student here - averages about .5 inches per month, more or less.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
It's important to note that at any given time, about 4/5 of your hair is growing, and about 1/5 is falling out. Because of this, you aren't going to get infinitely long hair, no matter how you grow it. I know you occasionally see pictures of people with hair down to their feet, but they're unusual, or possibly they're faking it. I didn't get my hair cut for many years, and it topped out around butt length, although it continued to get thicker until I got sick of it and had it cut. My hairdresser tells me 1/2 inch per month is normal, but that my hair grows faster than normal.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Human hair has a natural maximim length after which it won't get longer because breakage equals growth. This is longer for females than males and longer for some ethnicities than others. For a man his hair will max out somewhere in the range between his shoulder blades and slightly below his waist. This is why you pretty much never see a man with longer than waist length hair.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I have really fine hair and no matter how long I try to grow it, it breaks off by the time it gets to around my bra strap. Problem solved: dreadlocks! I grew them down to my bum within about 7 or 8 years. I'm guessing a guy from the Marines doesn't actually get to grow dreads though...but still, I reckon my hair is lucky to grow 1/4 inch a month.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I last cut my hair about 2 and a half, maybe three years ago, and it comes about halfway down my back. Hope that helps. :)

Edit - Before I started growing it, I had a crew cut.

Last edited:

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
Mine must grow on the slow end of the scale, because I get a haircut about every 4 months, and only cut off about 1 - 1 1/4 inches each time.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Glad I could help. :)

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Can anybody give me a rough idea of how fast an average person's hair grows? Say I have a character who left the Marines two and a half years ago and has not cut his hair since. (It would have been traditional super short at that time.) How long would his hair be, roughly? Long enough for a pony tail, certainly? Down to his waist? I've got short hair myself, so I have no clue. :)

My brother stopped cutting his hair the day he got out of the Marines ... in 2 years it was about shoulder length, long enough for a shaggy ponytail.

1/2 inch per month, minus some for trimming up the shaggy ends, is a good estimate.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I should say that there was no trimming whatsoever with mine.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
32.5 inches? Almost three feet? Okay, maybe he will have to cut it once in a while! Thanks!

I haven't cut my hair for a long time now (over ten years). It comes mid-way down my back. It's hit the maximum length... extra time won't make it longer.

Grand_Maester

Registered
Reaction score
Hair goes through a growth stage, a resting stage, and a regrowth stage. During the growth stage hair will continue to grow until it is either pulled out or moves to the resting stage.
Everyone's hair will move from the growing stage to the resting stage (at which growth ceases) at different points. Some mutations exist that cause hair to never naturally enter the resting stage. Anyways, if left to grow for an extended period of time, everyone's hair will stop at different places.
So really, its your choice.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Human hair has a natural maximim length after which it won't get longer because breakage equals growth. This is longer for females than males and longer for some ethnicities than others. For a man his hair will max out somewhere in the range between his shoulder blades and slightly below his waist. This is why you pretty much never see a man with longer than waist length hair.

I've never heard that about gender difference. Personally, I live in a town full of hippies and see men with hair grown past their bottoms on a regular basis.

Nutrition plays a huge role in hair growth. Not just the rate of growth, but also the strength of the hairs. If poor nutrition has weakened the hairs, they will break off at the ends before they have a chance to reach their potential length. People who show dogs know this, and have developed dozens of "secret formulas" of kelp meal, salmon oil, etc. designed to help their dogs grow the best coats possible.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Half an inch a month is average, but more or less as suits your purposes is within the range of normalcy.

Be aware that if he does no trimming, he'll very probably have split ends which can make it seem as if the hair has stopped growing when really it's breaking off at about the same rate as growth.

In the hippie era, a lot of guys' hair seemed to stop growing just past their shoulder blades, and this was nearly always the reason. Our son's has stopped there, no seeming growth for three or four years, since he will not let anybody touch it with scissors.

If your ex-Marine uses products to protect and strengthen the hair shaft, and gets trims three or four times a year, his hair will be substantially longer. However, that kind of attention to his hair will also say something about his character and his priorities, so do what fits him.

I would think it's pretty realistic for your character to have hair that reaches the bottom of his shoulder blades but falls well short of his waist.

Maryn, whose hair is down to there

Last edited: