PDA

View Full Version : Things You Just Notice

Zoombie
01-08-2010, 02:49 PM
So, there are these things we take for granted as just being that way...until one day, you notice something about them that makes you go, "Oh...NOW I GET IT!"

A good example would be one I just had.

The Beatles.

I was googling them to see which members were still alive, but i typed in the BEETLES.

And I realized that the band was called the Beatles.

the BEATles.

And I went, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I NOW I GET IT!"

Anyone else ever have this happen to you?

Parametric
01-08-2010, 03:10 PM

I feel like a moron now. I hadn't noticed that either.

:tongue

Fran
01-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Two of them are still alive. :)

I usually get that with games - I'm doing Spirit Tracks just now and it occurs me to smack beasties round the back of the head with the boomerang and I go 'Aaaaaah! NOW I get it!'. So yeah I do it a lot, but only really in relation to games. I generally wander through real life with no idea what the hell's going on. :D

sadron
01-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Yeah, some things have happened that way.

Jersey Chick
01-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I usually have those AHA moments when there are witnesses... it kinda sucks.

For example -

A guy named Tino Martinez played first base for the NY Yankees - won 4 World Series with them, a great first baseman, yadda yadda yadda...

Well, his nickname was Bamtino. And he'd been with the team for about five years before I realized they called him that because it was a play on The Bambino (Babe Ruth's nickname.) D'oh!

Unfortunately, I didn't just quietly come to the realization. My husband and I were watching a Yankees game when it hit me and I was like, "Oh, NOW I get it!"

This was many moons ago (Tino retired for good in 2005) and Jersey Guy still teases me about it.

lucidzfl
01-08-2010, 05:52 PM
I solve these problems by not following sports or popular music.

Jersey Chick
01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Oh, it's not only relegated to music and sports...

trust me. AHA moments happen anywhere, any time, under any circumstance. :D

(and if you're me, usually in a crowded room as well)

Fran
01-08-2010, 06:58 PM
I think I was about 12 before I noticed there were no adverts on the BBC...

cray
01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
i've noticed that when you are talking to someone and a rogue spit molecule rockets from your mouth onto their face that only like 52% of the people will acknowledge it.
the other 48% just pretend it never happened.

i'm not judging anyone. i like both groups equally.

DWSTXS
01-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I guess mine is that I was a year or two out of high school before I realized that the generic 'they' didn't come along and tell each and every one of us, on an individual basis, what we were going 'to be' in life. as in doctor, fireman, indian chief. I'd always assumed that someone in authority was going to tell me what I was supposed to do.

By then it was too late, so I became a ne'er do-well. I've done quite well at it.

Wicked
01-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Well, I can't recall one at the moment, but my daughter just had a major epiphany.

She is sick at home today, curled up with a blanket, and cuddling one of the cats while watching TV. From the living room I hear her shout, "Mom!", in an alarmed and awed voice, "Did you know cats can fart?".

Jersey Chick
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
:ROFL:

Cats are masters at the SBD farts. Silent-but-deadly.

I had a cat who could clear a room. :D

DWSTXS
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, I can't recall one at the moment, but my daughter just had a major epiphany.

She is sick at home today, curled up with a blanket, and cuddling one of the cats while watching TV. From the living room I hear her shout, "Mom!", in an alarmed and awed voice, "Did you know cats can fart?".

Ha! Tell me about it. Both of my little boys, Roscoe and Dylan, are a couple of stinkybutt farters.

A vet once explained to me (after a particularly troublesome time in getting our cat into a carrier) that a cat can actually spray (like a skunk) if it's agitated enough. Only it's not some specialized stink-pouch like a skunk, but it's basically vaporized doo. Trust me, I know this.

Gretad08
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
I have an uncle who always thought the lyrics were "going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get ma-a-arried" instead of "going to the chapel and we're gonna get ma-a-arried"

He's about 60 and he just realized this about 10 years ago...no one will ever let him forget it...ever.

Who the hell goes to the jack-o-lantern to get married? Where the hell is this 'jack-o-lantern' located? Is it big enough to have a wedding?

Fran
01-08-2010, 08:05 PM
I have an uncle who always thought the lyrics were "going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get ma-a-arried" instead of "going to the chapel and we're gonna get ma-a-arried"

I thought whoever's singing Take That's new single was singing 'They call it a lightbulb.' Turns out it's 'Hold up the light for me.' Worst. Diction. Ever. :D

DWSTXS
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
"going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get ma-a-arried" instead of "going to the chapel and we're gonna get ma-a-arried"

I like this version. LOL

"going to the Jackal of love. . ."

Gretad08
01-08-2010, 08:07 PM
I thought whoever's singing Take That's new single was singing 'They call it a lightbulb.' Turns out it's 'Hold up the light for me.' Worst. Diction. Ever. :D

LOL...I think a lot of people have AHA moments when it comes to song lyrics.

kayleamay
01-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Ore-Ida (like the tater tots) stands for Oregon/Idaho. I didn't realize this until I drove past the Ore-Ida plant...which happens to be located on the Oregon/Idaho border. I also didn't know that Winco was an accronym for Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon until my Cliff Clavinesque husband told me so.

Fran
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Ore-Ida (like the tater tots) stands for Oregon/Idaho. I didn't realize this until I drove past the Ore-Ida plant...which happens to be located on the Oregon/Idaho border. I also didn't know that Winco was an accronym for Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon until my Cliff Clavinesque husband told me so.

I didn't know any of that either. In fact, I'd never even HEARD of Ore-Ida or Winco. Thank you for learning me things. :D

But I haven't a clue what tater tots are. Off to Google...

ETA: Mmmm, yummy! And vegetarian too. :D

backslashbaby
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM

I just got Ore-Ida with your help!

In college, I learned a lot about the Benelux countries. Ummm. I'm so embarassed that I didn't catch that one for a while! I could list them fine. *headdesk*

ETA: Oooh, Fran, Tatertots! Just say yes!

DWSTXS
01-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Tatertots are greatness!

I rotate dipping them, one into ketchup, then one into Ranch. mmmmmmm

Mela
01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I think my first aha moment came when I was a kid at Christmas and realized all my toys had a Mattel or Parker Bros. logo - all of a sudden it clicked: there's really no Santa, is there? It's a big corporate conglomerate, just like Linus told Charlie Brown.

darkprincealain
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
The FedEx arrow thing between the e and the x on their logo shocked me when I first noticed it.

backslashbaby
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh! The Starbucks logo. I still don't know why it is what it is, actually.

darkprincealain
01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I always thought the siren/mermaid alluded to the idea that caffeine is addictive. She sings her sweet song, and all of that...

underthecity
01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
I used to do contract engineering for a local AM radio station.

I installed a new transmitter remote control which was programmed entirely by using a touch-tone phone (IOW, no computer program accessed it). The time was set by using military time (1400 hours for 2:00, for example.) Then, something would occur at different times of the day: meter readings at 4:00, 8:00, 12:00, etc.

I set all that up and it ran for months, just doing its thing.

Months later, the general manager told me that the remote control never logged transmitter readings at midnight. I looked at my list and saw I had programmed it for midnight. Why wasn't it taking readings?

The GM looked it over and said "Midnight in military time is 0000 hours." Or, "zero hundred hours." I programmed it as "2400" hours."

I typed up this whole story to say: my entire life, I always thought midnight in military time was 2400 hours.

Whoops.

Mela
01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh ... I have one and this is really dumb. I mean REALLY DUMB.
I live seconds from one of the main interstates in Jersey and started traveling it daily maybe 4-5 years ago and used to puzzle like hell over this tree that towered over the other trees - it was like one of those big northeast pines you see in Maine.
And I thought - somebody should do a story on that tree - hasn't anyone ever noticed it's different from the rest?
Well, just knock me down with a cell phone tower, OK?
A few years later I was interviewing a company that manufactures camouflage for cell phone towers - you know - church steeples, big tall pine trees that look like they're from Maine...
WHACK!

James81
01-08-2010, 11:40 PM
:roll:

Wow, why haven't I noticed that about the Beatles either? lol Good call on that one.

Alpha Echo
01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
I have a girlfriend who occasionally has to work at Tyson's Corner. She keeps calling it the Chicken Joint...and I just today realized that's because Tyson's is a brand of chicken.

And I only realized that b/c she spelled it out for someone else.

bettielee
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM
This is pretty much my life. My power of observation doesn't even register.

I did catch one, recently. I'm a huge fan of The Office (the American one) and there is an episode about business school. Michael goes to lecture these college kids as a guest speaker and the question of the paperless office comes up. Michael poo-poos this, and tells them real business is done and paper, and tells them to write that down. The whole room full of students then types that in their laptop. I just got that that last time I watched it.

underthecity
01-10-2010, 09:38 PM
This is one about one of the members on AW: Chaostitan.

For months, maybe years, I never read the name right. Inside my mind, I always pronounced it as "chayose-tit-tain." That is, ch pronounced like in "charlie."

Whenever I saw the name, I always mispronounced it. Always.

Until a few months ago when I looked at it more closely. Then the light bulb went off: "Oh, it's Chaos-Titan!"

NOT Chayos-tit-tane.

I can't read. Probably shouldn't write either.