Things You Just Notice

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, there are these things we take for granted as just being that way...until one day, you notice something about them that makes you go, "Oh...NOW I GET IT!"

A good example would be one I just had.

The Beatles.

I was googling them to see which members were still alive, but i typed in the BEETLES.

And I realized that the band was called the Beatles.

the BEATles.

And I went, "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! I NOW I GET IT!"

Anyone else ever have this happen to you?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score

I feel like a moron now. I hadn't noticed that either.

:tongue

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Two of them are still alive. :)

I usually get that with games - I'm doing Spirit Tracks just now and it occurs me to smack beasties round the back of the head with the boomerang and I go 'Aaaaaah! NOW I get it!'. So yeah I do it a lot, but only really in relation to games. I generally wander through real life with no idea what the hell's going on. :D

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, some things have happened that way.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I usually have those AHA moments when there are witnesses... it kinda sucks.

For example -

A guy named Tino Martinez played first base for the NY Yankees - won 4 World Series with them, a great first baseman, yadda yadda yadda...

Well, his nickname was Bamtino. And he'd been with the team for about five years before I realized they called him that because it was a play on The Bambino (Babe Ruth's nickname.) D'oh!

Unfortunately, I didn't just quietly come to the realization. My husband and I were watching a Yankees game when it hit me and I was like, "Oh, NOW I get it!"

This was many moons ago (Tino retired for good in 2005) and Jersey Guy still teases me about it.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I solve these problems by not following sports or popular music.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I think I was about 12 before I noticed there were no adverts on the BBC...

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i've noticed that when you are talking to someone and a rogue spit molecule rockets from your mouth onto their face that only like 52% of the people will acknowledge it.
the other 48% just pretend it never happened.

i'm not judging anyone. i like both groups equally.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I guess mine is that I was a year or two out of high school before I realized that the generic 'they' didn't come along and tell each and every one of us, on an individual basis, what we were going 'to be' in life. as in doctor, fireman, indian chief. I'd always assumed that someone in authority was going to tell me what I was supposed to do.

By then it was too late, so I became a ne'er do-well. I've done quite well at it.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can't recall one at the moment, but my daughter just had a major epiphany.

She is sick at home today, curled up with a blanket, and cuddling one of the cats while watching TV. From the living room I hear her shout, "Mom!", in an alarmed and awed voice, "Did you know cats can fart?".

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Well, I can't recall one at the moment, but my daughter just had a major epiphany.

She is sick at home today, curled up with a blanket, and cuddling one of the cats while watching TV. From the living room I hear her shout, "Mom!", in an alarmed and awed voice, "Did you know cats can fart?".

Ha! Tell me about it. Both of my little boys, Roscoe and Dylan, are a couple of stinkybutt farters.

A vet once explained to me (after a particularly troublesome time in getting our cat into a carrier) that a cat can actually spray (like a skunk) if it's agitated enough. Only it's not some specialized stink-pouch like a skunk, but it's basically vaporized doo. Trust me, I know this.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I have an uncle who always thought the lyrics were "going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get ma-a-arried" instead of "going to the chapel and we're gonna get ma-a-arried"

He's about 60 and he just realized this about 10 years ago...no one will ever let him forget it...ever.

Who the hell goes to the jack-o-lantern to get married? Where the hell is this 'jack-o-lantern' located? Is it big enough to have a wedding?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I have an uncle who always thought the lyrics were "going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get ma-a-arried" instead of "going to the chapel and we're gonna get ma-a-arried"

I thought whoever's singing Take That's new single was singing 'They call it a lightbulb.' Turns out it's 'Hold up the light for me.' Worst. Diction. Ever. :D

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
"going to the jack-o-lantern, gonna get ma-a-arried" instead of "going to the chapel and we're gonna get ma-a-arried"

I like this version. LOL

"going to the Jackal of love. . ."

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I thought whoever's singing Take That's new single was singing 'They call it a lightbulb.' Turns out it's 'Hold up the light for me.' Worst. Diction. Ever. :D

LOL...I think a lot of people have AHA moments when it comes to song lyrics.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ore-Ida (like the tater tots) stands for Oregon/Idaho. I didn't realize this until I drove past the Ore-Ida plant...which happens to be located on the Oregon/Idaho border. I also didn't know that Winco was an accronym for Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon until my Cliff Clavinesque husband told me so.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Ore-Ida (like the tater tots) stands for Oregon/Idaho. I didn't realize this until I drove past the Ore-Ida plant...which happens to be located on the Oregon/Idaho border. I also didn't know that Winco was an accronym for Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Oregon until my Cliff Clavinesque husband told me so.

I didn't know any of that either. In fact, I'd never even HEARD of Ore-Ida or Winco. Thank you for learning me things. :D

But I haven't a clue what tater tots are. Off to Google...

ETA: Mmmm, yummy! And vegetarian too. :D

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score

I just got Ore-Ida with your help!

In college, I learned a lot about the Benelux countries. Ummm. I'm so embarassed that I didn't catch that one for a while! I could list them fine. *headdesk*

ETA: Oooh, Fran, Tatertots! Just say yes!

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I think my first aha moment came when I was a kid at Christmas and realized all my toys had a Mattel or Parker Bros. logo - all of a sudden it clicked: there's really no Santa, is there? It's a big corporate conglomerate, just like Linus told Charlie Brown.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! The Starbucks logo. I still don't know why it is what it is, actually.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I always thought the siren/mermaid alluded to the idea that caffeine is addictive. She sings her sweet song, and all of that...