PDA

View Full Version : Oh ye published! A question of New York etiquette...

Perks
01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Actually I don't suppose it's limited to New York, and as seeing it's past the holidays, it's also a day late and a dollar short. But anyway-

Do you give your agents and editors holiday gifts?

underthecity
01-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I hadn't even thought of it. I suppose I could have.

The publisher sent me a company Christmas card the year my first book came out. It was a holiday staff photo kind of card.

I sent them an announcement when my baby was born.

But not a Christmas card. I probably could have.

Jamesaritchie
01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
No. Just a Christmas card.

Phaeal
01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
I'm willing to send them my blue-eyed firstborn. Or really, really good chocolate, whichever they prefer.

(Any agents or editors out there reading?)

kuwisdelu
01-07-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm willing to send them my blue-eyed firstborn. Or really, really good chocolate, whichever they prefer.

(Any agents or editors out there reading?)

For the female sane agents out there, I have George Clooney hogtied in my basement. I have the requisite postage and a big enough box. I'm just waiting for your phone call.

I'm not published, but I'd probably send a card.

DeleyanLee
01-07-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm not published, but I have several friends who are. Some do and some don't. It all depends on how personally close they feel to their editor(s) and agent. It also depends on what their personal cash flow is, whether or not they can afford it.

Jess Haines
01-08-2010, 12:44 AM
I sent a gift basket to my agent and my editor. Slightly larger one to the editor so he could share with the rest of the office.

Phaeal
01-08-2010, 02:09 AM
For the female sane agents out there, I have George Clooney hogtied in my basement. I have the requisite postage and a big enough box. I'm just waiting for your phone call.

I'm not published, but I'd probably send a card.

I'm an agent. Really. Kind of sane, too. If you'll throw in Viggo Mortensen, I'll get you the biggest auction in publishing history and this bridge in Brooklyn (good for throwing pub day parties for the adoring masses.)

Claudia Gray
01-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Yes. I send small gift baskets to my publicist and my editor's assistant, as well as a larger basket for my editor. My agent and I are friends and so we exchange personal gifts.

Given that most people in publishing are completely overwhelmed with candy during the holidays, I've considered substituting a charitable donation, but OTOH, people do like candy.

James D. Macdonald
01-08-2010, 04:50 AM
I send gifts to friends.

Some of my editors are my friends. Some aren't.

(Speaking of New York Etiquette: In New York, "F*ck you" means "I love you, baby, let's do lunch!" In Hollywood, "I love you, baby, let's do lunch!" mean "F*ck you.")

Perks
01-08-2010, 05:40 AM
(Speaking of New York Etiquette: In New York, "F*ck you" means "I love you, baby, let's do lunch!" In Hollywood, "I love you, baby, let's do lunch!" mean "F*ck you.")Lol! I like this. It should be a bumper sticker.

Madison
01-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I sent my agent a holiday card; she sent me an agency holiday e-card. I think cards are more appropriate than gifts unless you really know someone (and my agent and I just recently started working together).

Wayne K
01-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I sent an e-mail.

Irysangel
01-09-2010, 11:37 PM
I give gifts. :)

happywritermom
01-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I sent a card. I thought about sending a gift, but I didn't want to make him feel obligated to send one in return. I'll be sending a gift the day he sells my novel though!

Calla Lily
01-11-2010, 11:19 PM
I promised The Agent a batch of my Killer Brownies when he sold me.

Brownies are in the freezer, waiting on the contract for me to sign. :D

Shady Lane
01-12-2010, 12:13 AM
I sent nothing. I suck!

Simon and Schuster sent me a cute e-card, and my editor sent me a few books. I emailed both her and my agent and told them happy holidays.