dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Who plays chess online, and where? What's your favorite client?

I play on the free internet chess server (fics) and use Baba's Chess.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I "play" chess meaning I know the basic rules, but despite my interest in the game I'm a horrible player. I tried to regularly play others in college but they got bored beating me all the time. Well, I did beat my roommate one time, only because he got lazy playing me.

Maybe this can be move to the "worst fears" thread. I've seen where you can play chess (and many other games) online over ten years ago, but that has gotta be more scary than posting something in SYW. :scared:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The nice part about FICS is that it has a rating system that works about the same as the international chess federation, or USCF works. I'm rated (depending on my mental weariness for the week) between 1400-1600 at any given time... and I can request matches with players of similar skills. There's always 200-300 people online at any given time, so it's never difficult to find a match.

Yeah, I'll lose to someone lower-rated than me (all the time, in fact), but that's the one thing chess has over pretty much every other game ever made: they'll never beat me because of luck. They'll beat me because I played poorly, they played superbly, or they made fewer errors than I did, or took less time to play than I did. It's a totally fair system, and thus, the prospect of losing is less egregious.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy chess, but I've never played online. That's probably the case for a lot of people and the reason that there hasn't been much response to this thread.

But you are not alone.

:D

Justin91

Registered
Reaction score
I played online about 5 years agho, I can not remember the site. I was 1200-1400, but lost a lot more than I wanted too. It is tuff online cause you dont know if someone is using a sim against you...

I like to play in RL with some folks I know.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Who plays chess online, and where? What's your favorite client?

I play on the free internet chess server (fics) and use Baba's Chess.
I play at gameknot.com as kenumbach. I've been playing one fellow online for years now, most of that time at gameknot.com. He is a way better chess player than I am (although his current score does not show that, as computer problems led to a series of games lost on timeouts last year), and that improved my game. A basic account is free at gameknot.com. For a fee, you get more bells and whistles.

--Ken

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Used to play it (with a board, not online), but I stopped years ago. I've never won a single game in my life. ;)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I used to play on ICC (won't link to it here, but the initials stand for Internet Chess Club). It's a pay site, one of the first and best out there, though I haven't visited in a couple of years. I had a decent ranking at one time, just under 1800, but I stopped playing there because it was taking up too much of my time.
I'm guessing that nobody has the patience to play via e-mail then?
Hell, for many years, I played via snail mail! It was a giant leap to compete by fax later on; it was much faster and saved in postage costs, too.

TCloud

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not very good, but I'm a member of Chess.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.