Holly Lisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

RikkiKane

Banned
Reaction score
Anybody read any of her books? I think she is amazing - the most inspirational novelist I have read about.

Anyone who hasn't done so - check her out! She rules!

http://hollylisle.com/

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read any of her books, but I have heard she has a helpful web site.

RikkiKane

Banned
Reaction score
Wait - more inspirational than Tolkien?!?!?!?

To me, as a writer, she is much more inspirational than any writer I have ever come across. I can only admire Tolkien, I can't wish to ever write like him or possess his imagination or vocabulary. But Holly is someone who I can relate to and understand. She's very special.

Just check out her free download "Mugging the Muse." I have never read anything that's so inspring and so wonderful. In my opinion, it pisses all over Stephen King's "On Writing."

Download it and see for yourself. Tell me what you think.

http://hollylisle.com/downloads.html

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As a teacher of writing, I think she's amazing. I've got lots of her articles and guides and often refer to them, and am regularly directing people to the free articles on her site. Her How To Think Sideways course is the best writing advice I've ever seen.

I've read excerpts from her fantasy and paranormal suspense books, and the only reason I haven't bought them is because they are very dark compared to what I'm comfortable reading.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read her books, but I did find her website helpful before I found my way here.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
her website is very good with some great advice and information, but i have to say that her books don't really interest me as it's not the sort of thing i normally read.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I just took her assessment quiz. Now I'll get lots of email from her. ;)

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I'm crazy in love with Holly Lisle's website. What great advice.

lividseras

Hmmm...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lividseras1.blogspot.com
Yes! She is very inspiring. I personally like this passage on holly lisles website.

"If writing is your hunger and your thirst, and if you choose not to follow your dream because you're afraid, you'll pay a price for that, too---you'll pay with the progressive deadening of your soul, as time and your own disillusionment with yourself eat away at who you are. One day you'll wake up and discover that the part of yourself that knew how to dream---and how to fly---has died, and that you are forever after bound to the ground, with only the memory that you once had wings.

Every dreamer pays a price. But so does everyone who fears to dream."

RikkiKane

Banned
Reaction score
Yes! She is very inspiring. I personally like this passage on holly lisles website.

"If writing is your hunger and your thirst, and if you choose not to follow your dream because you're afraid, you'll pay a price for that, too---you'll pay with the progressive deadening of your soul, as time and your own disillusionment with yourself eat away at who you are. One day you'll wake up and discover that the part of yourself that knew how to dream---and how to fly---has died, and that you are forever after bound to the ground, with only the memory that you once had wings.

Every dreamer pays a price. But so does everyone who fears to dream."

This is excellent. I read it too. I love Holly, I really do. I'm gonna buy all her novels and I might do her writing classes too. Hmmm...

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I like her writing advice more than her writing. I've read two or three of her novels, and they were all right, but none made me go back for more.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
As a freelance editor I don't buy this one revision gimmick.

Maybe if she had done more revision work then they would have made for more memorable books.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Holly Lisle's site is great, some of her books are good, but I get turned off when it turns into a cult of personality. Not everything she touches is gold.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

It doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen some people say it works for them. It doesn't mean it's a gimmick if it doesn't suit you. It's something that works for her and she's offering for free to other writers.

OT, but as a freelance editor, I would think you'd know that "betas" doesn't have an apostrophe in it.

I get turned off by personality cults, too, but I think that most of the time with Holly's site, it's gratitude for the advice she gives that sometimes seems overly effusive, but is nonetheless genuine.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Maybe if she had done more revision work then they would have made for more memorable books.

I think the one revision idea is the best and wisest thing she's written on the how-to front. It works exceedingly well for a great many writers.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I had given HL a look-at long ago. The site (and the form of her advice) has changed considerably.

I think the one revision idea is the best and wisest thing she's written on the how-to front. It works exceedingly well for a great many writers.

However, this is a ringing endorsement for me (coming from Jamesaritchie, it usually is!) and I'll be looking at her again, now. Specifically, this bit of advice on one revision.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen some people say it works for them. It doesn't mean it's a gimmick if it doesn't suit you. It's something that works for her and she's offering for free to other writers.

OT, but as a freelance editor, I would think you'd know that "betas" doesn't have an apostrophe in it.

Sorry for being tired from reading all day.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
I am starting her online revision class tonight. I'll check it out and give my opinion in a few weeks.

RikkiKane

Banned
Reaction score
She does give good advice, if you can stomach some of the "oppressed white people" crap and climate change denialism she writes. She may offer good advice, but she's a crank, too, and I try to avoid cranks.

I think you're out of line saying that about Holly Lisle, especially when you consider evereything she does for others. But hey, I'm not trying to tell you to take it back or anything.

And being a white person who is most certainly "oppressed" living in a multi-cultural hell hole like Tower Hamlets in London, where white people are always the victims of interacial violence, I can relate to everything she says. Holly's the real deal, a symbolic representation of human courage. She's the real article.

Status
Not open for further replies.