Goal Reached

Simran

I had originally posted the following news in Nancy's topic Jenna's book is a true confidence-builder! under the Make A Living as a Freelance Writer forum. But I wanted to post it here too so that I could put the update under Goal Reached.

FIRST POST (Sat. 7/30)
Before I called the editor (earlier today) of a new local newspaper who put out an ad for freelance writers, I went through Jenna's book again and made sure that everything I needed to ask and discuss was written down. Of course I got his voice mail but because I had rehearsed ahead of time exactly what I wanted to say (so I didn't sound like a blithering (sp?) idiot) I wasn't nervous and left a very professional message. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him.

Thanks so much Jenna for a book we should "never leave home without" or better yet one we should "never tackle an writing assignment without." :Hug2:
UPDATE (Mon. 8/1)

While waiting to hear back from the editor, I decided to follow up with an e-mail including my resume and an article which happened to be a continuation of his (even though I had mine published first). Within 15 minutes he had e-mailed back apologizing for not responding to the phone call and set up a meeting to discuss the particulars of freelancing for his newspaper. He also gave me free reign to write for any or all of the topics they have available (of which there are quite a few)!

Thanks Jenna for all the information, tidbits, advice, samples, etc. that are contained in your fabulous book. I don't think I would have gotten this far without it, especially because I was so afraid to venture out until after I read it. :Hug2:

Simran

thank you thank you very much sassandgroove
no need to applaud, just throw assignments my way LOL

but seriously folks, I had my interview today and after carefully reviewing the negotiations techniques in Jenna's book and having everything written down, I was prepared.

The pay on the articles was slightly low so I asked what rights I had to my work. He said as long as I didn't resell it to a competitive paper, I could send it anywhere else I liked.

I got my first assignment; a human interest story on a local business owner, resold the article which happens to be a continuation of one that was published in the last issue and I can write my own articles for the health and arts and entertainment sections (as long as I bounce the idea off him first).

Last edited: