A poem! Published!

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote this poem 30 years ago and thanks to the lovely people on the poetry forum, decided to submit it - a month later it was accepted by Chronogram.
Unfortunately, there's a typo - you can view it 2 ways: on the Web site, where it was fixed and in the magazine, where they couldn't fix it. The typo doesn't necessarily take away from the poem, because of the style, some might think it was done deliberately without viewing the original.

http://issuu.com/chronogram/docs/chronogram_0110_issuu

http://www.chronogram.com/issue/2010/1/Poetry/Poem-Apocalypse

Silent Rob

Riff-Raff
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Congrats.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote this poem while I was studying under someone who was a poet laureate of sorts in our region - I haven't written poetry since. But there was a time when I churned out a lot of poems. I stumbled on it recently, thought "hmmm...", posted it on the poetry board and got a lot of good feedback so I took the plunge.

And just so you can really get a feel for the time period in which it was written: this poem was carbon copied in the literal sense - you can still see the blue on the physical piece of paper.

Thanks guys - your congrats are appreciated.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Well done! That's great that you were able to follow up on a piece like that, and make use of it. Did someone over in the Poetry forum encourage you to do it, or did you have some inspiration that led to taking it out, dusting it off, and submitting it?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! What a story to go with the poem!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote this poem while I was studying under someone who was a poet laureate of sorts in our region - I haven't written poetry since. But there was a time when I churned out a lot of poems. I stumbled on it recently, thought "hmmm...", posted it on the poetry board and got a lot of good feedback so I took the plunge.

And just so you can really get a feel for the time period in which it was written: this poem was carbon copied in the literal sense - you can still see the blue on the physical piece of paper.

Thanks guys - your congrats are appreciated.
Congratulations, Mela! That is fantastic.

If you want to try your hand at poetry again just for a bit of fun, we are having an AW Winter Poetry Contest. There will be prizes for the winner. The link to the thread with the information is the first one in my signature. It might be another piece waiting for publication if you write it, you never know. :)