Layout / floor plan of Georgian manor house

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Can anyone describe or point me to a floor plan for a Georgian-style manor house or mansion? I have tried Googling, I promise, I just can't find what I need.

I know generally it's a symmetrical style, boxy, but I'd like to visualize which room is where etc.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Last edited:

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
From the look of the outside, I'd say the plan is very simple: Two large spaces to either side of a central hall with a staircase. On upper floors, the side spaces would be subdivided into bedrooms, probably.

I'd expect that on the ground floor you'd have a large dining room on one side, and maybe a drawing room on the other. The kitchen and other ancillary spaces would likely be in a different building, possibly attached and possibly not.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Oh, and auction listings/real estate listings are one way to go. Especially in France, with English brokers. Also B&B listings will usually have at least some photographs of the interiors--which can be helpful--and occasionally floorplans so people can select which room they'd like to stay in. Most continental hotels or B&Bs have translated pages if the language is a barrier.

AND, many castles in the UK at least are in the National Trust. I've spent many long hours "researching" the National Trust houses for my settings.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
From the look of the outside, I'd say the plan is very simple: Two large spaces to either side of a central hall with a staircase. On upper floors, the side spaces would be subdivided into bedrooms, probably.

I'd expect that on the ground floor you'd have a large dining room on one side, and maybe a drawing room on the other. The kitchen and other ancillary spaces would likely be in a different building, possibly attached and possibly not.

Kitchen might well be in the basement

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that usually when you enter into the entrance hall (obviously) there is the parlor on one side and the dining room on the other. The stairs, bedrooms...and private living quarters of the family would be in the back of house because they were considered just that private and guests didnt need to see them

Alot of the Georgian houses also didnt seem to have hallways and the rooms just sort of faded into one another, if they did it would usually be a very small hallway, more like a room where more rooms came off of it.

I've never seen any Georgian houses in England :( but that is what they look like down here