Why I now fully hate fishing nets that are set and left behind (but a happy ending)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm sitting on the beach in Northland, New Zealand, watching the birds just before dusk with the eco-kayaking guide (the trip wasn't all by boat). It was really lovely, with a ton of different birds moving over the harbor and many of them heading out to the offshore islands where they had their nests.

There were binoculars provided, and something in the water caught my eye, but it was just a buoy, so I went on watching and relaxing while the guide chatted.

Well then we catch a movement, and there's a cormorant flapping in the water, just by the buoy. Not good. We watch a minute, and the guide tells me there will be a net there. And we're getting increasingly worried because the bird isn't moving with the current but thrashing and ducking his head.

So off we go, down the beach and right into the water (no, I didn't have my bathing suit on). I get the guide to hand me his shirt and come up behind the poor bird. He of course wasn't fond of me, but he kept looking under the water, trying to see what had hung him up, and maybe trying to work free as well (clearly wasn't going to happen).

So steady as we can I get the shirt and the guy distracts the bird a little. It took me two or three tries but I got the head secured (kids, don't try this at home, unless there is no one at all that you can call for help). The guide luckily had his knife so he cut the bird free, which took quite some doing. There was a large fish in the net, which was prolly why the bird went down there to begin with.

Anyways, I know how to carry a bird properly, so I get him back to shore with no trouble and show the guide how to do it so I can give the bird a look over.

He'd scraped up his patagium as expected (that's the front of the stretchy bit that extends between their wrist and body) but no where near as bad as I'd feared. He was a bit swollen, and his legs had tiny scrapes as well, but I decided he'd be just as good with a roost in the trees overnight as he would getting hauled around and looked at and held by someone else. Mind, there were a lot of factors that went into this decision, including making sure he wasn't thin and knowing he'd not been out there more than five minutes before we spotted him, if that long at all. And no broken bones, etc. (Again, kids, don't try this at home. Get the bird somewhere quiet and dark, provide a little water if needed, and get them to a rehabber. If you have to keep them overnight, just keep them quiet. Poking in on them or fussing or playing music will do tons of harm. If you see a wound or blood, leave it. The rehabbers know what to do AND how to do it. Stress kills.)

So we held on to him long enough to get him down an estuary and near the trees where he would be roosting for the night. (It was great being a vet student and having a naturalist there so we could run things by each other and work together to sort out what was best in this specific case.) They aren't great flyers and I didn't want him overly working those wings after being hung up. But he did get a nice even flight to move away from us and then sat on the beach and looked around a bit. I got the impression they are very smart birds, always assessing and trying to think things through.

After a few minutes, he flew off, into the trees and to have a nice rest. I'm sure he'll be out fishing tomorrow with no worries, aside from those fucking fish nets and any stray hooks. If we hadn't been there, on that mostly empty beach, he likely would have drowned or shred himself up well before anyone else found him.

Set your traps responsibly people. Don't be farking lazy. Oh, and the net wasn't properly IDed, so the guide will be calling Fish&Wildlife in the morning and they'll be compensating the net if they find it.

But anyways, it was a Pied Cormorant that I was able to save this evening. They are pretty big birds and really nicely specialized for what they do.

And yes, cormorants are also known as shags. I saved a shag. May he be spared people's stupidity in the future.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Good for you Fenika

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers :)

The funny thing is I was wearing my Bird Rescue shirt yesterday. It seemed fitting as I carried the shag to safety.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm glad the birdy was ok!

Sigh. The things we do in our stupidity. Thank goodness you two were able to safely assess the bird and get it on its way...

Sometimes, I think the best thing for the earth would be if we disappeared. Only I don't want to live through The Road Warrior so I hope I'm one of the first to go...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I've been fined twice and threatened with incarceration for clearing abandoned nets and crab traps in areas where I fish. It's illegal for people to leave them behind, but it's a much worse offense when I take matters into my own hands.

I've tried reporting the hazards to the proper authorities, but no one ever responds. And the problems continue to mount as more and more abandoned buoys littler the waterways and threaten not only bird and marine life but become navigational hazards as well.

The worst abusers are those who should know better: commercial fishermen whom you'd think would have a vested interest in the environment where they make their living. But too many of them either don't care or won't go through the trouble and expense to properly collect their gear at the end of each season. Screw them and the boat they rode in on. I'll continue to clean up their mess, and I don't care which laws I break in the process.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I just thought of something that has little to do with this thread, but it does feature a cormorant.

I was fishing once when a school of bait moved through, close to the surface and attracting a number of birds. A pelican dove nearby but did not resurface for some time. When she finally did, the head and neck of a cormorant were lodged in her throat. It seems that just as the pelican pierced the water, the cormorant was surfacing among the bait and was partly engulfed by the larger bird. They both died soon after the encounter.

It was a sad sight to behold yet very cool to witness, as such deaths must be extremely rare.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A world with far less humans would be much more interesting. Today I was trying to shoot some nature videos and people in the background were shouting and carrying on and I so need to go hide in the middle of the bush :tongue

But this morning I did see some pied cormorants by their nests, and a near-full grown nestling and also some fledglings flying into each other so that mum or dad would feed them first, lol.

Keep fighting the good fight, SK

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bumping.

Pied Shag usually nest in small colonies in cliff side trees and are active all year round but laying peaks in July – October and January – March. The nest is usually a large platform 0.5m across built of sticks and seaweed. The clutch of 3 – 4 pale bluish-green eggs is incubated for 25 – 33 days. The chicks fledge at 47 – 60 days old and are fed by their parents for up to 11 weeks after fledging.

I've seen plenty of shags and a decent amount of nests around here. They are pretty neat birds.

Ms Behaving

It's always something
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Fenika:hooray:

Screw them and the boat they rode in on. I'll continue to clean up their mess, and I don't care which laws I break in the process.
:fistpump You go Silver King

:mad: I get enraged every time I hear stories like these. When will people learn that we do not own the Earth… we are just temporary visitors. I have written letters, sign petitions and assisted in many Humane Society League protests only to be brushed off with some lame excuse or false promises. :Headbang: