Best in Gay/les fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Which books would you recommend as being the best reads?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any particular genre?

Stellan

Not that other guy
Registered
Reaction score
There are nearly always nice, juicy veins of queerness in Clive Barker's books.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gay male SF: Spin Control by Chris Moriarty
Gay male fantasy: The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner
Lesbian SF: Ammonite by Nicola Griffith
Lesbian fantasy: Earth Logic series by Laurie K Marks, Broken Wings by L-J Baker
Lesbian historical: Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
I’ll second The Doctrine of Labyrinths by Sarah Monette- it’s a brilliant series. And if you’re into fantasy there’s Lynn Flewelling’s Night Runner series, and Swordspoint by Ellen Kushner.

Anything by Alan Hollinghurst and Sarah Waters is always worth the read. I also recommend Sebastian's Tangibles by Anthea Ingham, and Hallucinating Foucault by Patricia Duncker.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Older contemporary novels I've found well worth reading that show the 'where we came from' gay/lesbian aspect are Stone Butch Blues (L Feinberg) and The Swashbuckler (L Lynch).

For lesbian romance, the biggest names are probably Radclyffe, Gerri Hill, Karin Kallmaker, and Georgia Beers. Most of their works aren't to my taste, but lesbian romance readers gobble them up. I did quite like Beers' urban fantasy novella in the the recent "Outsiders" collection.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely agree about Sarah Monette. I've read the first three books in the Doctrine of Labyrinths series, and will read Corambis after the paperback edition is released.

I haven't read Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series yet, but plan on doing so. I bought the first book last weekend. Might be a while before I get to reading it.

TCloud

Registered
Reaction score
Under lesbian fiction (romance, fantasy and mystery), I'd also list Melissa Good, Ali Vali, J.M. Redmann and Jane Fletcher.

I'll admit to being fond of Melissa Good's Dar & Kerry series.

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
So in love with Ellen Kushner. :LilLove:

Seconded. I love Alec.

I haven't read Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series yet, but plan on doing so. I bought the first book last weekend. Might be a while before I get to reading it.

Having read Flewelling first and Monette and others after, I have to admit that her Nightrunner series is probably not one of the best, but I still can't help loving it. Seregil rocks :D

Also, as far as literary SF is concerned, Ursula K. Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness is absolutely of the win. Especially since it covers transgender aspects.

Same as Flewelling's less popular Tamir Triad. I really liked the issues she raised in those books :)

ETA: Heh, already mentioned Left Hand of Darkness, but can't pimp it enough. Estraven = awesomeness!

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Doris Grumbach. Jeannette Winterson. Sapphire (Push.) Willa Cather. Actually, believe it or not, Well of Loneliness is quite the page-turner.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
E. Lynn Harris's(RIP) books are too good.

I remember sitting with my friend Anthony at the job from hell,reading"B Boy Blues" By James Earl Hardy. It was romantic,hip-hop,and oh so fun to read about two people falling in love. It was even sweeter because Raheem and Mitchell were from totally different worlds. I loved this book and the series is awesome.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it myself, but one of the panelists at the GLBT in Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror discussion at MarsCon today was talking about an Anthony Burgess book called The Tree. It's an alternate universe where homosexuality is considered the norm, and heterosexuals are scorned and ridiculed as outcasts. Never heard of it, but it sounded intriguing--and reminded me a bit of this short story called "Love Alters." Can't remember that author, but I'll look it up when I get home.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Sarah Monette and Elizabeth Bear are my favorites as far as science fiction and fantasy are concerned. Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths books are for the win :D

I just started reading Bear's Carnival. Liking it so far.

Nicole

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I love Emma Donoghue's work. I'm still thankful for the day I stumbled across her books in a tiny bookshop.

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
I just started reading Bear's Carnival. Liking it so far.

Nicole

I read this a while ago but found the characters a little two dimensional TBH. But sci-fi isn't really my thing, I only picked it up because of the mm romance- I'm shallow that way :)

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I read this a while ago but found the characters a little two dimensional TBH. But sci-fi isn't really my thing, I only picked it up because of the mm romance- I'm shallow that way :)

I think I'm hooked despite the characters. I'm really digging the world building. I was expecting sci-fi, not mm romance. That's just a bonus. :)

Nicole

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read it myself, but one of the panelists at the GLBT in Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Horror discussion at MarsCon today was talking about an Anthony Burgess book called The Tree. It's an alternate universe where homosexuality is considered the norm, and heterosexuals are scorned and ridiculed as outcasts. Never heard of it, but it sounded intriguing--and reminded me a bit of this short story called "Love Alters." Can't remember that author, but I'll look it up when I get home.

Is The Tree an alternate title for The Wanting Seed?

One of Burgess's best novels has a gay protagonist - Earthly Powers - though it's not SF/F/H.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
In science fiction, Stephen Harper's The Silent Empire series was very good (m/m relationship). I also second Monette and Flewelling, though they're very different sorts of fantasy--Monette is much darker, with an almost literary edge. Nightrunners is classic fantasy, and while it has its dark spots it's overall lighter and fluffier.

And since I just realized all three of the above are members of the Outer Alliance: http://blog.outeralliance.org/members

There are probably absolutely, without doubt, tons of other good writers in that list, too.

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading Luck in the Shadows, the first Nightrunner book. I'm not expecting much gay stuff, since I think Lynn said that the relationship between Alec and Seregil doesn't really get started until the next book.

Status
Not open for further replies.