Favorite QILTBAG characters in written fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Things have been too quiet for a few days. So, random thread time. :)

Who are your favorite QILTBAG characters in written fiction, and why? (Doesn't necessarily have to do with their QILTBAG status, though it could.)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... Sherlock Holmes: the quintessential Asexual. Parading their assets about in scanty garb and slit skirts, beautiful woman have tried to seduce him to gain an upper-hand in some criminal mischief, but he remains completely unfazed as in the 'Woman in Green.' That's part of his job, though, so not sure if this qualifies :-(

Last edited:

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, good question. Since there are novelizations of the show, and they're pretty good, I'll say Ianto Jones and Captain Jack Harkness! I believe the books delve a little deeper than the show into the characters' past and their sexuality, but I haven't read them all yet.

And Inspector Carmichael from the "Farthing" trilogy by Jo Walton. He's all manly and tragic and closeted in fascist post-war London.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am affraid to sound childish, but would Dumbledore count? Since all we know about his sexuality comes of really, really little hints in the final two books and what the writer said in an interview.

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I am affraid to sound childish, but would Dumbledore count? Since all we know about his sexuality comes of really, really little hints in the final two books and what the writer said in an interview.

Of course he counts! :) I was going to mention him, but decided to wait until later and let other people talk.

Darklite

Registered
Reaction score
At the moment my favourite queer character is Sebastian Flyte from Brideshead Revisited, which I'm currently reading for the first time. I have a thing for beautiful but dysfunctional people, I guess.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Tal from River of Gods. Yt's one of my favorite characters ever, though I have still yet to finish that book, no matter how many times I try.

Nicole

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Good question.

I quite like the transexual sister/brother in Chuck's Invisible Monsters.

If movies can count, John Wilmot from The Libertine. Shame they cut the bisexual kiss scenes.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Richard St Vier and Alec Tremontaine from Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint. :LilLove:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Tolliver from the Tales of the City books. I wish he was real so I could know him in real life.
This[sup]10[/sup]. In fact, many of the characters in the series. I really didn't care for DeeDee at first, but she seemed to grow as it progressed. Conversely, I liked Mary Ann at the beginning but I really, really didn't by the end of Significant Others.

Funny how life works like that, too.

I've always pointed out the series to people as a survival guide for Life.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
How about the teacher in Push?

I always thought the narrator of My Antonia should be seen as a lesbian. What I mean is, it's a man, but the author never explains why his love for Antonia has to remain unrequited. Since Willa Cather was a lesbian, that explanation makes sense to me.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
^Seconded.

Also, I reckon it's a bit of a cliche, but the Vampire Lestat. Still my favorite vampire of all-time.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with Captain Jack Harkness aaaaand Festina Ramos from the "League of People" universe. She's a badass, interesting character, looks good in black, and is Bisexual in that delightfully "its the future, its not a big deal anymore" kinda way.

If that makes sense...

Status
Not open for further replies.