PDA

View Full Version : Packaging First 10 pages/ Partial

Roly
01-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I'll be sending out a few snail mail queries tomorrow (first queries ever sent!) and some agents require the first ten pages to be sent as well. So I was wondering, how do I package that? I've heard that some people don't like to use folders for some reason (because they assume it's tacky...which I'm not sure why that'd be unless it's got space kitties on the front), but ten pages is far too thin to rubber band (it'll just end up curling up). I also don't want to fold it like I would the query. Can I safely find a thin, professional looking folder and stick everything in there? Can I do the same for a partial even though it'll be about 30-odd pages or do I have to rubber band that like I would a manuscript?

Thanks!

bclement412
01-04-2010, 12:14 AM
You could use a paper clip

fov
01-04-2010, 02:06 AM
I'd staple the partial (NOT to the query - the query should be separate) and put everything, unfolded, inside of a manila envelope.

Or use a paper clip. I'm not sure about agents, but I know some journals prefer paper clips to staples since they can be removed when the pages are recycled.

bclement412
01-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Yeah agents don't seem to like it when things are bound.

Snowstorm
01-04-2010, 02:15 AM
I paper-clipped the manuscript pages together with the query loose on top. I mailed it in a manila envelope so they all stayed flat. I slipped in the SASE under the query.

Congrats on sending out queries! Best wishes for success.

scope
01-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Paper clip is okay, but never staple anything (unless guidelines say to do so).

Roly
01-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Stupid question, but what size envelope do you use for the SASE? A regular sized for just the response letter or bigger so they can give you back the requested pages? Do you usually bother to get those pages back?

scope
01-27-2010, 05:11 AM
I don't want any pages returned so I just say in the last paragraph that all the materials are recyclable. Depending on the size of your pages, send them in 9 x 12 or 10 x 13 envelope.

AlterEgox5
01-29-2010, 05:58 AM
Paperclip everything together. Paperclips always. I've never seen anyone fond of staples, and paperclips allow you to keep all your pages together, including your query or other cover page and your SASE. I don't bother with folders because the paperclip will do it's job. Pop it all into a nice big envelope and get proper postage and send it on its way.

As for what size SASE - a #10 envelope is fine unless you want your pages back. Then the answer is obvious; include a big enough envelope for them to put your pages into and make sure there is proper postage on said envelope, otherwise you won't get anything back at all.

Personally I never ask for anything back. I figure it's easier on everyone for the pages to just get recycled. For me I think it's actually cheaper not to ask for things back (aside from the SASE of course) because postage is just so friggin' expensive. It costs $2.41 for 50 pages to be sent and around $1.90 for 30 pages. I can easily buy another ream of paper for that much.

shaldna
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I'd staple the partial (NOT to the query - the query should be separate) and put everything, unfolded, inside of a manila envelope.

Or use a paper clip. I'm not sure about agents, but I know some journals prefer paper clips to staples since they can be removed when the pages are recycled.

most agents and publishers hate staples because they are so easy to cut fingers on and can be damn awkward.

pages can be paperclipped together if they are not a big pile. put them in a jiffy bag and they will be fine. if you are worried about them bending then you can get card backed envelopes, or you can put a sheet of card in the back to support the package.