Veterinary drugs

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I need some direction please! I have a character who has access to all types of vet drugs-in particular equine or large animal-

My character has a lot of people to kill- but needs to do it quietly- Right now I have him using large amounts of ketamine- but I am looking for something that induces unconsciousness quickly and then eliminates the respiratory drive- or a good paralytic would help as well- anyone have any ideas?

thanks so much!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks backslash! that helps- Now I just need to come up with a believable scenario to work it in- my husband is an anesthetist, but I need to know if a vet would have Sux on hand in a mobile unit. I have horses and I know our vet comes with a SUV that servs as a mobile pharmacy and trauma unit in one- every thing they need they have in there- but I'm wondering if they would carry a paralytic/depolarizing agent like Sux with them- thats why I chose ketamine- I know they carry that-but ketamine takes a long time to work- particularly if its given IM- so it would work- but I wanted something faster acting- i am tempted to call my vet and ask- but they are so busy I hate to bother them-
My husband of course is just rolling his eyes at me and shaking his head- pffhhht!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Well, he'd know more than I would :) Surely they have something that'll put a large animal out quickly? I don't know if they use succ. for that or a drug with fewer side effects? They do say succ is great for being the fastest.

I'd believe they'd use it if I read it in a novel, if that helps.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
My husband does agree that sux is fast and effective- so I think I might go with it- but it will be administered IM, which will take a few minutes for it to take effect- and the vic will have that time to stirke back at my bad guy- gotta work that out a bit- but I think I can make it work! Thanks!

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with a tranquillizer gun. You can actually use a blow tube to administer and they come in a wide variety of doses. In other words, a dose for a 50 kg animal is different than the dose for a 500 kg animal. Average human is in the range of about 75 kg. Also, the drugs are unpredictable on humans (they really aren't that safe with animals if you don't know what you're doing). Relatively easily accessible.

The idea has been used before, but it's hard to kill someone in a new way. It will show up on a tox screen, but most drugs will if they test hard enough. And they actually tend to have a quick half life, which makes them harder to detect.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of using a dart gun Jim, and yeah I know, however my killer doesn't really care if they catch him- at long as he finishes what he sets out to do- after that- he could care less if he lives or dies- but he is determined to kill those he blames for the death of his wife first- wife was a vet and has all the drugs he needs in her clinic on wheels-