Universe at War: Earth Assult

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
So, for five bucks, i picked up this little game and found it to be well wroth the buckage I spent. I remember hearing about it way back when, in the dim times before right now...I remember it being one of the first games to have DX10 and, by all the gods, don't turn on DX10 for this game. Pointless slowdowns and minimal graphical improvement, YAY!

Thusfar, it plays a lot like a bizarre mutant combination between Supreme Commander and the Cthulu Mythos. Well, that's a bit misleading. The zoom isn't nearly as large, and there are far fewer tentacles. But it does have the feel of humanity being a worthless spec of nothing compaired to the titanic powers fighting overhead and GIANT FUCKMOTHERING ROBOTS OF DOOM.

Okay, so, the story begins with one Colonel Moore (who looks like the Comedian and is also way less of a dick). Moore and the rest of the human race has been having a really bad day as the Hierarchy just showed up: Gray aliens with big eyes, enjoy sucking people up with their robots and turning them into zombies...also their primary attack vehicle is a skyscraper sized four legged customizable giant robot of doom.

The cheesy dialog is competently acted and they manage to give you the palpable feeling of doom and 'oh god, we're all going to DIE' without being overly frustrating...though it is a bit humbling to have the finest military force on earth get its ass handed to it by a RECOURSE COLLECTOR.

Anywho, after a while, the robotic Novus (sworn enemy of the Hierarchy) show up and start fighting the giant robots with swarms of smaller robots. There is a third team in there, but I haven't met them yet.

Now, the things I like about this game.

1) The factions feel quite different and seem to be balanced. The Novus use fast moving technology, and can set up an invisible network of transport lanes to 'port' their units from one side of the map to the other really fast. The Hierarchy have a few huge units that are real bad news. And the third faction does something different, most likely.

2) The story is actually fairly engaging. Nothing too serious, but its interesting enough to keep me playing. Also, I like the concept of three alien races fighting over Earth, all so advanced they barely pay attention to us. Gives me fond flashbacks to Armageddon Empires.

3) The graphics are nice and clean and the units are colorful and interesting.

Now there are some problems.

1) The game can chug if a lot of stuff is blowing up real good.

2) The DX10 does nothing!

3) Pathfinding for tanks can be a bit wonky and pathfinding for the giant robots of doom can be even wonkier. Seriously, we can put a man on the moon and we still can't get a fucking tank to go in the most logical path grumble grumble Nixon grumble.

All in all, my initial reactions are: Good!

If you have five bucks to spare, check it out...before the sale ends, of course.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
1) ...what'd you do to him?

2) This is why my games are kept under lock and key (no not literally) nobody touches my games unless they've gone through my strip-search and cavity examination. Specficially I make sure they are carrying no magnets of any kind.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm planning to drive his character insane in our Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader game...which I happen to be GMing.

Status
Not open for further replies.