Probably a really stupid question but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowCat

Registered
Reaction score
If I go down either the self publishing or pod route, is there any way I can have my own logo on the cover but not set up my own publishing company?

I know that you can choose to take off pod printers logos from a book if you wish but if I wanted to have, for example, a logo that says ShadowCat Books on the cover would I have to set up a publishing company?

I am just in the process of thinking things through and I just would like to know all the facts, so I can make the right decision for me.

Thanks in advance.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
With createspace, you upload your own pdf file of the cover, so I think you can put your logo on it, no problem.

However, on Amazon and other outlet sources, the publisher will be listed as createspace.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...if you do your own LLC you can have your own logo as you are your own company.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Yeah...if you do your own LLC you can have your own logo as you are your own company.
It can just as well be a sole proprietorship. The original poster (OP) should read a book on starting and running a small business (Nolo Press has good ones) and latest edition of a good book on self-publishing (Dan Poynter's Self-Publishing Manual is the best known).

The OP is confused about terminology. Self-publishing and POD (print-on-demand, aka digital printing) are not an either/or choice. (Sort of like saying one wants a four-door car or a Ford.) A publisher of any kind can use digital printing (although it is rare that a normal commercial publisher would use POD except for selected backlist titles, to keep them available).

--Ken

Last edited:

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
Actually, I'd register the tradename with your state. For me it was only $25 to register my own publishing company name. The problem is that, if someone else wants that name and they register it before you and discover you using it, you could end up with a cease and desist to quit using it.

Also, Amazon and other online bookstores have no trouble changing the publishing name from createspace to your own. Mine doesn't show CS but my own entity name, even though the books are printed by CS with CS ISBNs.

JFBookman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebookdesigner.com
Actually, I'd register the tradename with your state. For me it was only $25 to register my own publishing company name. ... Also, Amazon and other online bookstores have no trouble changing the publishing name from createspace to your own. Mine doesn't show CS but my own entity name, even though the books are printed by CS with CS ISBNs.

Melanie, here in California we file a Fictitious Business Name statement, which sounds like your "tradename" and the fee is very reasonable as well. That's all you really need, and they encourage you to do a search before you file for the name. Since publishers are national companies, it makes sense to search thoroughly first.

I'm curious about CS. Did you have to specify that they not be listed as the publisher, or did you do it through Amazon? Thanks!

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
I went through Amazon and used their online form for updating the information.

And I didn't have to search nationally for names, just those registered in my state. If I had wanted to use my last name, I wouldn't have had to file, but I wanted a different business name than mine. I don't know about CA, but that's how it is here in ND.

ShadowCat

Registered
Reaction score
I know it is a long time since I last posted and I just once again want to thank you all for your replies but one thing even though your advice is good I can't use it because I live in the UK, I hope to buy Mick Rooney's new book (which sadly is out of stock everywhere I have looked) and hopefully that might have the answers I seek.

Status
Not open for further replies.