Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts:

Sour grapes.

For the last few years La Plante has been criticised about her heroine's in the police force fighting a sex war that was won decades ago. I think this is probably the BBC's way of saying 'you are outdated and out of touch.'

I also had the misfortune to read one of her books a few years ago. Now I love my horror, but the graphic description of a maggot ridden corpse was revolting. I won't read another.

Quite frankly I would be more interested by the drama by the 'little Muslim boy.' I like something that was new and fresh. Or could this possibly be that La Plante can smell new blood breaking through and she knows she can't compete.

I applaud the BBC's commitment to new talent.

As for Katie Price and Martine McCutheon, if that's what they want then who are we to criticise? Not my reading material, but neither is a La Plante novel. She's in serious danger of sounding like a bitter has-been.

If I'm ever lucky enough to have her success, I would would hope I would retire with grace and dignity.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
La Plante is hardly the only writer to complain. Many have, including many with consideral talent and huge sales number.

My own feeling is that writers probably shouldn't get involved in such wars, but my feeling is also screw the BBC. Every complaint I've seen against them seems perfectly valid to me.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
She may have a point, however, bear in mind that the Telegraph is a right-wing paper and British right-wing papers love BeeB-bashing.

Don't forget that the BBC has also nurtured writers like Russell T. Davies and Steve Moffatt and produced dramas and comedies that are shown around the world.

Yea, they produce crap too. But I'd rather watch the BBC any day.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
When the BBC are hot they make superb dramas like the recent series 'Garrow.'

Not to forget the new series of the brilliant Wallander starts tomorrow. :D

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It was the 19 year old comment that made me take notice.

Why 19, why not 39?

I assumed she was referencing someone specific. Often when I'm venting (albeit privately) about someone, I might not say their name or anything, but a descriptor that everyone knows, like (and this is all totally made up) "I can't believe I lost out the role to webbed feet girl". I bet there's someone who just got a contract with the BBC who's young (possibly not 19, maybe in his twenties or whatever) that she doesn't feel deserves it.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's right about the unwieldy salaries, though. The rest? Like the independent networks don't produce their share of shite?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
That's really going to be strange, seeing English people interpret a fairly dystopian-minded swedish cop.

You must have missed the first series then. ;)

Lynda la Plante never seems to have had a problem getting her stuff shown on ITV. The fact she's gone to the BBC suggests the increasingly cash-strapped ITV have dropped her from their schedule. If that's the case her target should surely be ITV. /speculation

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Same here, Wallander being one of the reasons I happily pay my license fee!

There again, I do love my Swedish detectives!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Lynda or the rest of the controversy. What I want to know is: what is that large black creature she has her left hand around?

MM

LuckyH

Oh, really?
Registered
Reaction score
The posts beg the question whether writers have a sell-by date, or are allowed to retire at some stage. I don’t know the answer, but historically it appears to be No.

Lynda la Plante is an excellent writer in her field, and the sheer volume of her past successes means that her opinions must be important, whether we agree with them or not.

Another opinion is that the ‘old’ brigade is preventing new talent from coming through, which I suspect is the OP’s contention. It’s not a valid argument though, whether there is compulsory retirement at pension age of 65, or death, the regeneration process will carry on as always.

I’d rather consider an opinion from Lynda la Plante than the alternative mentioned in the article.

Be patient, you won’t want to be thrown to the wolves when you’re 63.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
What a horrible piece of journalism that article was. So what if the BBC wants to showcase minority talent or freshen up their programming? It's not like there's no room for people like La Plante- the article points out that she had two pieces in production with them.

To be honest, it sounds like sour grapes because of the difference of opinion she had with the controller that led to one of the projects being cancelled.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I believe a lot of the criticism aimed at La Plante and her novels and tv series are obsessed about 'women making it in the male world of policing'. Which is just bull**** in the modern police force.

Maybe the BBC where the ones who had the balls to say it was bull****?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
You think so? I'm not in the police force but I still see sexism wherever I go, including the publishing industry. I'm sure things are much better now than when she began writing, but BS? Not so sure about that . . .

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Sexism exist. Also, the UK is still in many ways a class-society; not because there are laws regulating class but because many people want it to be like that. UK wouldn't be as much "fun" if it wasn't so. People take a sort of pride in it, and keep to their class.

It's hard to explain how that can play, and it is really hard for foreigners to pick up on, while a brit would spot it at once. You could make shows that were totally unintelligible for the rest of the world where the plot hinged on this. Any brit would pick up on it at once, no one else would.

There are cues all the time, not least language clues that identify you belonging to a certain class at once. If you give off the wrong cues in a given situation, you can exclude yourself pretty quickly.

My favorite example of this is a gay movie, "Beautiful thing", where the main MC's mother gets involved with a middle class guy named Tony. A lot of the chuckles in the movie is about how Tony just misses all the cues, or tries to impose his middle class cues on people around him. He keeps going on about how the word 'bird disempowers women' for instance.

But this is a derail... I'll bow out now. It was the sexism that got me thinking about this.

But it can tie into the Beeb-fight. Lynda la Platt can also be arguing out of this position, the class position. I'm not sensitive enough to pick up on it, but any brit should be able to do so.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't a clue what class Lynda la Plante is. If you want to say the BBC is run almost entirely by white middle-class privately educated people from the Home Counties I'd agree completely, which is why they recently got slapped for the 'national news' bulletins ignoring Scotland and Northern Ireland, and only mentioning Wales in the context of EnglandandWales. The BBC certainly does have issues about whether it's truly representative, but I don't know enough about their commissioning process to say if la Plante's comments are true. I can say with some certainty I've never noticed any 19-year-old Muslims being credited for a script, but that's not something I'm interested in. If the script's good I don't care who wrote it.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I don't want to say anything, because in essence a class system is a shackle. I don't know how it works in Scotland, but in England I've observed this.

I'm in no way "sensitive enough" to be able to pick up on most things, except when it's like a bull-horn next to my ear. I haven't lived in England long enough. But once you see it, it's fascinating.

I think the English has it like this to confuse us poor foreigners.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sexism exist. Also, the UK is still in many ways a class-society; not because there are laws regulating class but because many people want it to be like that. UK wouldn't be as much "fun" if it wasn't so. People take a sort of pride in it, and keep to their class.

It's hard to explain how that can play, and it is really hard for foreigners to pick up on, while a brit would spot it at once. You could make shows that were totally unintelligible for the rest of the world where the plot hinged on this. Any brit would pick up on it at once, no one else would.

There are cues all the time, not least language clues that identify you belonging to a certain class at once. If you give off the wrong cues in a given situation, you can exclude yourself pretty quickly.

My favorite example of this is a gay movie, "Beautiful thing", where the main MC's mother gets involved with a middle class guy named Tony. A lot of the chuckles in the movie is about how Tony just misses all the cues, or tries to impose his middle class cues on people around him. He keeps going on about how the word 'bird disempowers women' for instance.

But this is a derail... I'll bow out now. It was the sexism that got me thinking about this.

But it can tie into the Beeb-fight. Lynda la Platt can also be arguing out of this position, the class position. I'm not sensitive enough to pick up on it, but any brit should be able to do so.

I'll comment on this derail. :D

You're absolutely right about the whole class thing.

My husband worked in horse racing when we lived in England, and it is something that is really evident there. He was a Head Lad, which meant that he was responsible for the day-to-day running of the yard. He told me of an owner who came to see his horse. My husband stood in the stable, holding the horse and the owner looked at him and said. "Could you turn the horse around, 'Boy'." Husband told the owner, in no uncertain terms, that he was the sodding Head Lad, not a 'Boy'.

There's a lot of snobbery about new money vs old money. People with 'old money' definitely look down on 'new money' people who are seen as 'vulgar'. Some things haven't changed since the 19th century.

Oddly enough, the people in racing that I knew, who were 'new money' were ruder to the stable staff. Old money people tended to treat the staff with a bit more respect.

As for Lynda La Plante. I would hazard a guess that she's more a victim of overexposure. One thing I have noticed about British media is that there's a 'flavor of the month' personality who gets crammed down people's throats, ad nauseum until someone else comes along to knock them off the throne. I remember having to put up with Carla Lane's stuff for ages, because, for a while, the BBC thought she could do no wrong. It did my nut. I never thought her writing was as good as the BBC and media reviewers thought it was. Then, people got bored with her and the media decided to brand her as a bit of a loony because she collects animals and her big old mansion is over-run with waifs and strays.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

UK classism isn't fun or funny. People joke about all sorts of things to make the pain better, but it doesn't mean they want it to stay that way. It isn't fun to be treated like dirt because you're lower class... and no matter how well you do in life, that's always the way people will see you.

As for the original article, this doesn't sound like a woman who'd hedge her words. If she thought working class upstarts were stealing her job, I don't think she'd have been shy about saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.