Research the Old-Fashioned Way

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all.

Over the last year, I've tried to to help out in this forum and answer questions - when I had the answer, that is.

But at the same time, I've always advocated going to the horse's mouth - getting the answer from a professional, as opposed to an amateur, whenever possible, even if it's a bit more work. For instance, if I have a question about LAPD Police Procedure, I might get a good answer from a fellow mystery writer...but I'd get an even *better* answer from someone who was actually an LAPD officer.

To that end, here are a couple of links that can take you STRAIGHT to the expert you need.

1. Almost every reputable US college or university has a "media relations" or "public relations" or "press outreach" department that exists to connect researcher/journalists with academic experts. Here's the link to that department for Lehman College in New York City.

http://www.lehman.cuny.edu/lehmantoday/newsroom.html

2. The Writers Guild of America, West has a list of phone numbers to experts in commonly used subjects (crime, foreign relations, etc.) This is the link:

http://wgaw.org/content/default.aspx?id=165

These are people who are just waiting to answer your questions.
Let them do it!

Good luck to everyone.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, there is also a risk as Ian Rankin discovered. He started asking the police some questions about a murder they were investigating for his novel Black and Blue. He ended up being interrogated: the police thought he was the killer!

The world isn't as innocent as it use to be!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Smiling Ted! Having access to the real information is always helpful, not to mention knowing about college departments ready to answer questions.