Status
Not open for further replies.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Preyer commented on maybe starting a worst list in the favorite horror movies thread. Thanks for the suggestion, preyer. So, here it is.

What horror movies do you think really lacked something or just plain sucked altogether?

I watched part of a movie the other night called Pinata: Survival Island. Even though I only watched half of it, this movie wasn't all that appealing to me. The script seemed forced, not natural. The special effects were pretty good though.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
sthrnwriter said:
Preyer commented on maybe starting a worst list in the favorite horror movies thread. Thanks for the suggestion, preyer. So, here it is.

What horror movies do you think really lacked something or just plain sucked altogether?

I watched part of a movie the other night called Pinata: Survival Island. Even though I only watched half of it, this movie wasn't all that appealing to me. The script seemed forced, not natural. The special effects were pretty good though.

LOL I saw that too. I didn't findit that appealing because it was too Special effects for me. I like the good ole fashioned michael myers or regular human killing horrors. I feel very passionate about this, considering I've written my own horror.

I saw Bloody Murder 2 the other day too. That was like a Jason remmake excet the girls were all hot and it was gorier and wasn't scary at all due to a bad director.

What about the blood camp or whatever the hell its called with the transexual killer on the lose? Thats more comical then scary.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Another 'comical' movie is I was a Teenage Zombie (I think that's the name). It's a independent film. The movie was hilarious dispite the acting and the script being terrible.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
'Deadly Friend' - mid '80s. Completely rank as a horror film, but Anne Ramsey does get decapitated by a basketball. That was great.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, Bride of the Monster, produced and directed by the worst in the business, Ed Wood Jr.

The T.V. movie of the week, Raptor Island, was the biggest load of muffed up FX crap I've ever seen.

The Legend of Bogey Creek.

King Kong, the remake with Jessica Lang. Why in the hell didn't they just let the Japanese do it with one of their suits, eh?

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
sthrnwriter said:
The movie was hilarious dispite the acting and the script being terrible.

Thats why its so funny. I think its supposed to be funny anyways. Gotta love the 80's. :)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Anaconda.

And the one about the pirhanas.

*groan* They were both so awful they were funny.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
Dog Soldiers. I think it was a recent UK release--we got it through NetFlix. It should have been called "How to shoot dogs, act badly, believe the pretty liar, trick the viewer, and STILL get killed by werewolves."

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
Dog soldiers is awesome!

Nevermind. Try Jeepers Creepers. Ouch.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I feel sorry for Ed Wood, the worst director ever because a couple of guys said so in their book. There are so many, many worse directors out there.

For example, Uwe Boll, chief diarrhoea sufferer on House of the Dead.

MitchJ

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of Ed Wood, I think it's ironic that a movie about the "worst director", one of Tim Burton's better efforts, garnered two Oscar nominations.

And I guess the list wouldn't be complete without Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Also, Robot Monster (not one of Wood's) is one of the worst. That's the one where the monster is a guy in a gorilla suit with a space helmet and two antenna--ack!

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
The T.V. movie of the week, Raptor Island, was the biggest load of muffed up FX crap I've ever seen.

So I guess you didn't see Hammerhead on SciFi. Consider yourself lucky. It was unwatchable.

elisadasilva

Registered
Reaction score
good lord, how come no one said the worst horror movie of all time yet? Without doubt it is Revenge Of The Blood Farmers, from the 80's. I never laughed so hard in all my life.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
BlueTexas said:
Dog Soldiers. I think it was a recent UK release--we got it through NetFlix. It should have been called "How to shoot dogs, act badly, believe the pretty liar, trick the viewer, and STILL get killed by werewolves."

*hides* :eek:

I liked that movie.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Oh, Oh!!!

Night of the Comet
was seriously dreadful--but strangely watchable, anyway...

That kinda qualifies as a good bad movie. It's bad, yes. But fun and cheesey to watch. Especially with the sound off, and several semi-intoxicated college students sitting around making up the dialogue as they go along. :ROFL:

There are some movies out there that are bad, but still fun to watch because they're bad. Anything done by Ed Wood would be an example (or Jackie Chan movies...I admit that is my guilty pleasure).

Then there are some that are just horrid. Like House of 1000 Corpses. Or Vampire's Kiss.

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
True; the really bad horror films turn out to be the most fun. One of the most recent examples is Freddy vs Jason. Unadulterated rubbish, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better film to watch with friends. Whilst drunk.

If you're fifteen.

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
loquax said:
True; the really bad horror films turn out to be the most fun. One of the most recent examples is Freddy vs Jason. Unadulterated rubbish, but you'll be hard pressed to find a better film to watch with friends. Whilst drunk.

If you're fifteen.

Or wanting to feel like you're fifteen :wag:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
I had been very disappointed by Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, too.

The weird thing about Ed Wood Jr. is the way he could combine the unthinkably terrible with some elements that were actually pretty good. For example, Plan Nine From Outer Space has excellent pacing, clear storytelling, and manages to maintain an interesting sense of mystery. Then he combines his genuine storytelling talent with impossibly inane dialog, ridiculously bad special effects, switching actors in mid-movie, and the worst disregard for visual continuity I've ever seen.

Sometimes I have to wonder: Would Plan Nine be as much fun to watch if it was uniformly bad, rather than mixing the good in with the absurdly horrid?

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite one as a kid was killer clowns from outer space. Now its more like a comedy. Great 80's film. :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Okay, there was one about a bunch of High Schoolers who were at a resort. The male jocks were taking powerful steroids and some leeches sucked their blood and became giants, attacking all the students. Don't remember the name. Great idea, if you think about it. But these big silicone leeches scooting across the floor was just too much.

Tri

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
'jolly roger: massacre at cutter's cove.' unintentionally awful, which is why is was so funny. sadly, this can't be said of 'hollow's end,' which was just too bad to be funny. i'm holding off on 'frankenfish.'

i actually enjoyed most of 'jeepers creepers' and the first half of 'house of 1000 corpses.' :)

man, i've see too many horror movies. they all blend together in one cheesy scream and splash of blood, lol.

i can't say 'the exorcist II' was that bad because i didn't make it through the whole thing. maybe it really got good the moment i turned it off? yeah, right.

the all-time worst for me, though, was *drum roll, please*-- 'mansquito,' a sci-fi network puke-a-thon. it's actually on rental shelves under the name 'mosquito man.' *renter beware*, heh heh.

GonnaBeFamous

Registered
Reaction score
Amityville horror the original. Now that just sucks.

Ghoulies sequels

Exorcist 2

Gremlins sequels

Freddy Vs Jason

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I didn't care fore House of 1000 Corpses either. It was just too much like Texas Chainsaw Massacre to me. And to think the sequel is about to hit theaters. I wonder if The Devil's Rejects is just as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.