PDA

View Full Version : As 2009 winds down...

thethinker42
12-31-2009, 07:40 AM
With less than 12 hours to go until 2010 (in this time zone, anyway), can I just take this opportunity to post something genuine, if incredibly wanky?

As far as writing goes, 2009 was a big year for me, and I want to say thank you to AW as a whole. I joined this place about 3 years ago, and in that time, it's completely turned my writing around. I have learned so, so much about the craft, the publishing business, self-discipline, and probably more than I ever wanted to know about...well...a lot of things. Even made quite a few friends along the way, and for someone as socially inept as I am, that counts for a lot.

As wanky and trite as it may sound, I mean every word when I say that, as a writer, I would be nothing without Absolute Write. I'd probably still be telling-not-showing my way around in a genre that didn't "click", writing euphemism-laden sex scenes that did nothing to advance my sad excuses for plots. My characters would be made of cardboard, my story lines made of DEM and coincidence, and my novels made of fail. I certainly wouldn't have my invaluable unholy alliance writing partnership with scarletpeaches, who I met on this very forum.

A few months ago, I said that if one of my books ever hits the NYT Bestseller list, I will get a tattoo of the AW logo. I stand by that, because while my chances of making it onto that list are slim, those odds would be pretty much nil without AW.

For those who are new to AW and are still getting into the groove here, stick around. It can be overwhelming and many of us are brutally opinionated, but there is much wisdom to be found in these forums.

Okay, enough of that wankiness. I just wanted to say thanks, and I mean it from the bottom of my shriveled, black heart.

*cough* Anyway. As you were.

Seaclusion
12-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Happy New Year

Richard

dolores haze
12-31-2009, 07:51 AM
Congratulations on a great year. And may 2010 be even better!

kaitie
12-31-2009, 08:00 AM
Happy New Year! You gonna be watching Kouhaku with me?

This place is amazing, isn't it? I'm so glad I found it because my book has improved a thousand fold since I started coming here and learning new tricks of the trade, etc. I wonder if we have enough members to throw you onto the bestseller list just to make you get that tattoo haha.

scarletpeaches
12-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Get that tattoo on your arse. It's a pretty big logo after all.

thethinker42
12-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Get that tattoo on your arse. It's a pretty big logo after all.

You know, I still have time to change the dedication on Nine Tenths of the Law...

Wayne K
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
I just blogged about this. I blame AW for all of it, the book, the agent, the possible movie deal.

At 47 I'm living a dream, when I'm supposed to be going through my midlife crisis.

Actually, I blame Mac.

bettielee
12-31-2009, 12:46 PM
Lori - I wish you a very happy new year!

Of course, I already did via rep, but who knows if you ever look at those things.

Maxinquaye
12-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm a new kid on the block, and I remember when I stumbled in here a few months ago (pissing off the regulars with my know-it-all).

But AW has become important to me. It's given me focus, a drive, and allowed me to see where I lack - letting me focus on fixing that.

I can't imagine where I'll be in three years time. Just a few months has meant so much new knowledge, so much new understanding. It's been an eye-opener.

I guess I still can be an unsufferable know-it-all. Knock me on the head when I am. But you won't be rid of that just yet. Probably never, as a matter of fact :)

And a happy new year to everyone!

NeuroFizz
12-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Lori, have the Tat person put the A on one cheek and the W on the other so when you bend over it reads, Ao......oh, wait.....never mind.

Happy New Year to you and all AWers.

Rich, proudly wearing his Napoleon Dynamite "Vote for Pedro" shirt today.

Snowstorm
12-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Amen! 2009 has been a big writing year for me, too. A novel edited and the queries heading out, jumping in the NaNoWriMo with both feet with a goal of 75,000 words. Committing to the decision to sell our B&B so both hubby and I can concentrate on writing.

I'm tickled to read about others' success and progress in writing. AW is a huge part of my success. Happy New Year! :partyguy:

Libbie
12-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Love, love, LOOOOVVVVEE!

I would like all of AW to know that Lori and I have known each other since we were like eighteen or nineteen or something, and we have been reading each other's fiction fails since then. I have seen Lori through her entire arc from the really bad fantasy novel (no judgment: What I was writing then was just as bad) to her phenomenal and well-deserved success in 2009. And yes, AW was the catalyst that made the change in her. She dragged me here (eventually), and she was right. This place is the shit. I, too, have learned much and met many helpful people. Possibly the best lesson I've taken away from here is the Gospel of Butt In Chair, which allowed me to burn through a kickass historical novel in three months.

Lori speaks the truth: AW is one of the best tools for writers of all time, if only they know how to use it.

Lorz, sell even more books in 2010. I will take you to Forks again to celebrate. I loves ya, you dirty bitch.

*sniff* I love you, Absolute Write!

Mr Flibble
12-31-2009, 08:53 PM
AW is one of the best tools for writers of all time, if only they know how to use it.

Amen to that!

Been a pretty good year for me too. First book out, seeing myself in print, selling the second to prove it wasn't a fluke lol. And it was this place that taught me most of what I needed to know, and continues to teach me. ( even if it's sometimes when to keep my mouth shut lol)

This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires!

LuckyH
12-31-2009, 11:06 PM
Iíve got four hours to go where I am and Iím about to study my diary writing for the entire year to summarise it for posterity. The non-writing front hasnít been great because my minor business interests have shrunk like everyone elseís in this horrible recession.

The writing front has been quiet; itís largely been a waiting game for many months, waiting for a jackpot that was never going to materialise. Iíve spent the waiting time writing without much enthusiasm, but managed to sell some low-level shorts to badly-paying sources.

Iím absolutely fired up for next year; my writing laptop is going to get red-hot, and in four hours time Iím going to eat 12 grapes in 12 seconds to make quite sure that 2010 will be my best year yet.

dgrintalis
12-31-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree--AW has done wonders for my writing. I've learned so much and have met some truly wonderful people. I can't imagine my life without AW and the support of everyone here.

Jess Haines
01-01-2010, 03:25 AM
This is indeed a fabulous place. I'm very glad to have met all of you here, and looking forward to making many new friends in the future. :)

Lori, it's not all that wanky! Thank you, too, because you contribute some awesome tidbits of your own around this board. :D

scarletpeaches
01-01-2010, 03:26 AM
I agree--AW has done wonders for my writing. I've learned so much and have met some truly wonderful people. I can't imagine my life without AW and the support of everyone here.This, this, a thousand times this.

I dread to think where my writing would be - where I would be - without AW.

Xelebes
01-01-2010, 03:30 AM
AW has gotten in the way of writing. But it has spurred some in the way of flashfic writing. Never done that before. Found it fun. Need to promise to continue doing it so that I can get better at coming up with ideas on the spot. I will need to work on that if I plan on passing English 30 (failed it twice.) I want to go to university.

Leah J. Utas
01-01-2010, 03:50 AM
Adding my voice to the chorus of thanks. This place is amazing.

PoppysInARow
01-01-2010, 04:02 AM
It shames me to think that when I came here, I thought my writing was publishable material. I've improved so much, and don't think I could've gotten as far as I did without the help and support of everyone here.

AW is awesome, but it would be nothing without the awesome people in it.

And Lori, hope you get on that bestseller list. :D Tried to buy your book yesterday, but couldn't track it down. I'll have to find it soon so you can have a sore, tattooed ass for a couple of days.