PDA

View Full Version : Writing In Coffee Shops

gothicangel
12-31-2009, 01:34 AM
Okay, by special request (seeing as the Paolini thread is going way off tangent) :D

Does anyone write in coffee shops?

I don't. I have tried but I find them too noisy (don't know about in the US, but the UK ones seem to be populated with either screaming babies or obnoxious children.) I've never written anything good in a coffee shop, and I get bad enough comments for staring into space at home!

I think my main reason is that I'm nebbie (translation: have a curiosity for glancing over people's shoulders to see what they're doing on the laptops.) It's bad enough on the Newcastle-Stirling train, I'm sure that others would be trying to do the same to me in a coffee shop!

Anyway, I get funny looks when I open a book in public. God knows writing a novel would encourage?:rolleyes:

Over to you guys!

Richard White
12-31-2009, 01:47 AM
I do. I try to alternate where I write so I don't wear out my welcome, but for some reason, I can tune out conversations and just work on my book in public. At home, I actually have to listen to the background conversations . . . mainly because half the time they're directed to me. *grin*.

Heck, when I was in Scotland back in 2003, I had a book chapter breakdowns due the week after I was due back. So, when I wasn't at the World Kendo Championships, I was writing in the hotel lobby, at the bar, on the grounds of the University of Glasgow . . . anywhere I could sit down and open up my notebook. (Had to type all my notes in once I got back to the states, but I outlined a 23 chapter book while on tour.)

The people at the bar thought it was great that I was "writing" while I was there. Had lots of suggestions (a few even useful).*grin*

backslashbaby
12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
I really like writing in coffeeshops :) But here in my area, we have tons of space, so folks stay farther from you by nature than in more urban places. It would be very odd to sit close enough to read over someone's shoulder.

Watching strangers helps me write, definitely.

Shadow_Ferret
12-31-2009, 01:51 AM
I have no interest in going outside of my house to write, but if I did, I think I'd rather do it at the library, if that wasn't available, then the coffee shop. Here in America, parents with kids don't generally go into coffee shops. At least I've never seen any when I bring my kids.

brainstorm77
12-31-2009, 01:54 AM
I write at home. Here they set time limits for loitering in coffee shops.

LynKay
12-31-2009, 01:55 AM
I used to when I was in the States. There was a really nice on in Ybor City who had no customers during the morning time. I lived in London for ten years, and never once could I sit down to write. I've been in France for a year and a half. Here it depends on the coffee shop and the time of day. Still,I don't really write in the coffee shops any more, unless I have a super idea, that I don't want to forget about. :D

jennontheisland
12-31-2009, 01:55 AM
I've never written in a coffee shop, but I've done calculus homework there. Got tons done. Could only stay for 2 hours though, because that's as much free internet time I get at Starbucks and I need the internet so I can listen to good music while I'm there. The music at Starbucks fucking sucks.

But yeah, as long as I have tunes, no problem.

Shadow_Ferret
12-31-2009, 01:58 AM
Last time I checked, you had to pay for internet at Starbucks.

backslashbaby
12-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Last time I checked, you had to pay for internet at Starbucks.

In the US, you can sign up for a card that's free. You have to put $$ on the card to buy your coffee with, but that's all it takes to get 2 hours free when you go.

I couldn't find any that took the card anywhere outside of the US (I was hoping to get free internet over there most of all).

Jamesaritchie
12-31-2009, 02:22 AM
It it's a pure coffeeshop, babies and children are never a problem in my area. High school and college stidents, now, are another story. Don't know about Starbucks since we no longer have one, but we have a bunch of places that have free WiFi, so that's not a problem.

But when writing away from home, weather permitting, I prefer to grab a knapsack and a thermos of coffee and write out in the woods, or, when pressed for time, at a nearly park.

When weather doesn't permit, I often write at the library. Ours has a coffee and sandwhich shop, private reading/writing rooms, free WiFi, and a fair number of other amenities, including an auditorium where visiting writers often come and give talks, and where a stage play makes an appearance every month or so. Not bad for a city of under 20,000.

But noise never has bothered me. I can write in complete silence, or I can write in restaurants, at conventions, etc.

fadeaccompli
12-31-2009, 02:37 AM
I do a lot of writing at coffeeshops. Half the time the point of it is to get away from my giant shiny monolith of a computer, with all of its music and games and other distractions, in the office with all those books and craft projects...and go someplace with my dinky laptop where there's nothing to do but write.

It really depends on the coffeeshop, though. There are probably two dozen of them in biking distance alone, and only three or four that I consider worth my while to visit. Good outlet spread, comfortable chairs, decent coffee, not hideously loud music... All very important factors. And reliable wireless, of course. I can't write without internet access.

Libbie
12-31-2009, 03:16 AM
I wrote about a third of my novel in coffee shops. I find the noise to be nice -- I always like white noise when I write, though. A lot of voices talking so that I can't make out any particular words works well for that. Plus the steam of the espresso machines.

emilycross
12-31-2009, 04:02 AM
mwahahaha i imagine "coffee shops (http://downloads.contiki.com/contikipedia/europe/mattyvcontiki/Amsterdam_Coffee_Shop.JPG)" could possible be a very stimulating place for the creative mind

:D

ChaosTitan
12-31-2009, 04:32 AM
The majority of my writing happens at my desk, at home. I have a great coffeepot in the kitchen. My internet is paid for.

DWSTXS
12-31-2009, 04:49 AM
I do 90% of all of my writing in a coffeeshop. It is only 2 miles from where I live, and just a few minutes from where I work.

I write here, because if I didn't get out of the house, I would get cabin fever so bad I wouldn't be able to concentrate. Here I can people watch, drink coffee, tea etc, and plug in my headphones and get a lot done.

So, every day after work, and all day on Saturdays and Sundays, I'm here. On weekends I will get here at 9 am and I'll stay all day, and usually leave between 7-10 pm.

This coffeeshop serves coffee, beer, wine, sandwiches and salads, AND they have free live entertainment every night.

So, I get my writing done, and get free entertainment, and a place to write. On saturdays and sundays, I will always leave for an hour or so, just to go somewhere different for lunch, and when I do so, I will leave my briefcase, along with my laptop set up, my kindle etc etc. When I get back, it's always there and I just sit back down and keep on writing.
Nothing has ever been stolen because all the employees here know me and would recognize someone messing with my laptop etc. Plus there are 4 or 5 other regulars that are here every day, and they keep an eye on my stuff for me too.

I am divorced, so there's no problem with not being home a lot, and anyone who needs to reach me always knows where to find me.

ETA - this coffeeshop has free wireless internet too. So, I'm all set.

fadeaccompli
12-31-2009, 04:58 AM
I am, in fact, in a coffee shop right now, specifically to get some writing done.

...given I'm browsing these forums instead of doing so, the actual effectiveness of this approach is left in question. But, hey, I've got plenty of intent!

DWSTXS
12-31-2009, 04:59 AM
I am, in fact, in a coffee shop right now, specifically to get some writing done.

...given I'm browsing these forums instead of doing so, the actual effectiveness of this approach is left in question. But, hey, I've got plenty of intent!

me too.

LOL

Gillhoughly
12-31-2009, 05:11 AM
I envy those who can get any work done in any location!

I did write a bit in a shop, but that was when I had an insane housemate. He'd leave me alone to write, but the TV was always on, and I couldn't block it out the Cartoon Channel running 24/7. Once I set my desk up outside in blazing heat/humidity + mosquitoes to get work done.

The coffee shop down the road was great, though. The people knew me, some were fans, and one of the guys kept sneaking me free tea when the manager wasn't looking.

Got rid of the housemate. No, a wood chipper and a catfish pond were NOT involved, though I was sorely tempted.

Can't do coffee shops now. Too hard to focus. The music is either not to my taste, some moron is always yakking on her cell, kids are running all over, or I'm accosted by little old ladies asking "are you a writer?" followed by questions on how much did I pay to get published.

Tried to go tandem with another writer. We met up at her favorite coffee shop. It was worse. There was a prayer meeting going on at the next table and next to me two socially challenged college kids were struggling through a first date. The stumbling, bloody-awful dialogue was seeping into MY dialogue! I was also hard-pressed not to yell at the girl, "He's a brainless loser! Run for your life! You deserve better!!!"

And of course my friend is typing nonstop as though taking dictation from a fast speaker. I got a paragraph, she got ten pages.

The cookies were good.

The chairs too hard.

These days I have the luxury of having a house to myself. I put on the music I like, cocoon into a reclining chair, put the laptop on a special table to take its weight, prop my head juuuust so with a pillow, support my arms with other pillows, eyes on the screen, and only my fingers moving on the keyboard as I dive into an alternate reality--

Until the f****** phone rings!

AnnieColleen
12-31-2009, 05:44 AM
I have, as of this past NaNo. (It made a convenient spot for write-ins, then I kept going.)

I tend to hole up on the side patio (weather permitting) or at a corner table; haven't had any interruptions so far when I'm there on my own, and got quite a bit done. We had a bit of confusion at one write-in when a study group from the local college was there at the same time -- too many people with laptops! -- but that was more amusing than a problem.

Good Word
12-31-2009, 06:38 AM
I do a lot of writing in coffee shops. It isn't always ideal, but sometimes at home I get distracted by Things I Must Do Right Now--like chores that can wait!

Claudia Gray
12-31-2009, 07:03 AM
I never used to. Most of the time, I find being in public too confining/less comfortable, and I can be fairly productive at home. However, now that I write FT, I have begun going to coffeeshops periodically; it helps to break up the day and add some variety. I still have to bring headphones, though -- chit-chat at nearby tables is way too distracting.

Kathleen42
12-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Writing? No. Editing? Yes.

Madison
12-31-2009, 07:32 AM
best thing EVER!

I suppose I am obsessed with coffee shops in general, though. I spent my whole life in the Coffee Bean during finals week earlier this December... I just work better when lots is going on around me.

Shadow_Ferret
12-31-2009, 07:34 AM
The majority of my writing happens at my desk, at home. I have a great coffeepot in the kitchen. My internet is paid for.

Yeah, honestly, I'm just too darned cheap to pay for coffee I can make just as well at home.

benbradley
12-31-2009, 07:45 AM
I did this a lot for NaNoWriMo in November. This was sometimes the coffee shops in Borders or B&N and sometimes in "stand-alone" places like Starbucks Once or twice I wrote by myself because I was out-and-about, had nothing to do and there was no write-in at the time. But these were generally "social" affairs, if you count talking for a couple minutes and writing for a couple hours as being social. And the coffee, yeah, that was the admission for the write-ins, as was the Netbook and the Model M Space Saver keyboard. There are some things I cannot be without, and a Real Keyboard is one of them.

But yeah, despite having net connections 90 percent of the times (there was one place that didn't have its wifi working that day, and I spent ten minutes trying to connect to the other signals around, but then ended up writing 3k words in about two hours), we generally wrote. That's mostly thanks to a few excellent ML's and their whips.

ETA: I never paid for Internet connections at any of these places, including Starbucks. They were all "open access" with a page that comes up with your first access of any web address, it has a "I agree to conditions" button you press, and then you're surfin'. I've only been to one place with a password (Atlanta Bread Company in Cumming), it's printed on your receipt when you buy something, and it's been "ABC12345678" for a couple of years now. So now with this info you can park outside and access their wifi, as easily as most anywhere else.

kaitie
12-31-2009, 08:02 AM
I do a lot of editing in restaurants, if that counts. Otherwise not in particular, just because I never go to coffee shops. I do lots of writing at train stations, though. I carry a notebook around with me for just that purpose.

dancingandflying
12-31-2009, 08:21 AM
Since I work at Starbucks (and it's the only coffee shop in town), I find it impossible to write there. There's too much temptation to hang out with my work friends, and am always interrupted by regular customers asking what I'm writing. Also, the music sucks and the chairs are uncomfortable.

d&f.

erinbee
12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
I do indulge in some occasional coffee shop writing, if only for the people watching, but my favorite place to write is...wait for it...the mall. Our local mall has tons of cushy chairs, free wifi in places, and just the right amount of bustle. I swear I wrote at least 1/3 of my book there.

BigWords
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I've never written in a coffee shop, but I have in other drinking establishments. When I reach my ninth pint it's time to stop typing...

scarletpeaches
12-31-2009, 10:18 AM
I've tried, but can't stand screaming brats and people stopping me to ask, "What are you working on?"

I can write some in the library but some idiot parents treat the place like a creche these days and dump their kids, who then proceed to run about the place and treat it like a playground.

I do most of my writing at home but sometimes have to get out of the house...whereas I can write 1,000 words in half an hour at home, in public it can take me a couple of hours.

AlishaS
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Ok so I am Canadian so we only have two kinds of coffee shops (that stand out in people's minds) Tim Hortons that is usually filled with screaming babies, toddlers, teenagers and so forth so no not my idea of a great place to write.
Then there is the Starbucks a block away from my house, it is small and cramped with stupid uncomfortable chairs and over priced coffee.

I miss the days when you had no name coffee shops that charged you two bucks and gave you unlimated refills and you could smoke. Yes that's right I am a smoker and find it really relaxing to smoke, drink coffee and type...

brainstorm77
12-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Ok so I am Canadian so we only have two kinds of coffee shops (that stand out in people's minds) Tim Hortons that is usually filled with screaming babies, toddlers, teenagers and so forth so no not my idea of a great place to right.
Then there is the Starbucks a block away from my house, it is small and cramped with stupid uncomfortable chairs and over priced coffee.

I miss the days when you had no name coffee shops that charged you two bucks and unlimated refills and you could smoke. Yes that's right I am a smoker and find it really relaxing to smoke, drink coffee and type...

Tim Horton's in the city where I live is a mega teen hangout.

Xelebes
12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't know. There's no Tim Hortons that close to me but two Second Cups that I can easily get to and park myself there. Do I park myself there? No, not really. I don't have a laptop so I would have to do it by hand - which I wouldn't mind if I'm doing brainstorming and writing out rough ideas. But I think I would prefer a library if I were doing such. Just because.

gothicangel
12-31-2009, 02:02 PM
I think the library would be TOO quiet for me. Which scares me because the books I need for my dissertation are in the Reference section there.

I have two writing spots: a desk in my bedroom (drawback: stunning view over the Wallace Monument and Ochils) and in the sitting room where I like to put on DVD's (Drawback: it's the only place in my flat my wireless works!)

Yep, I make better coffee too. Oh and have a better cake selection (ex-chef!)

Tedium
12-31-2009, 02:04 PM
I suck at writing in coffee shops. When I'm hyped up on caffeine I get ADD and I start looking around every time the door opens or someone sits down next to me.

On the up-side, I did manage to spell caffeine correctly. :)

Snowstorm
12-31-2009, 07:18 PM
I enjoy writing in coffee shops. Even if it's noisy--especially if it's noisy--I make myself concentrate to get away from any noise. That's a handy little trick to get work done!

DWSTXS
12-31-2009, 07:34 PM
most of the time when I'm writing at the coffee shop, I have my headphones on, and the music is blasting. So, I have my writing soundtrack, and I can look up at any time to do some people watching. I love it in the coffeeshop.

The best part about writing in the coffee shop though, and not at home, is when they use that huge coffee bean roaster. You can't get that awesome smell at home!

Jamesaritchie
12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
most of the time when I'm writing at the coffee shop, I have my headphones on, and the music is blasting. So, I have my writing soundtrack, and I can look up at any time to do some people watching. I love it in the coffeeshop.

The best part about writing in the coffee shop though, and not at home, is when they use that huge coffee bean roaster. You can't get that awesome smell at home!

Well, you can get that smell at home, if you think it's worth the work. I have a pretty decent sized coffee bean roaster, and a nice grinder. Neither cost a great deal. Well, I don't think they did. Both were gifts, so I really don't know. But really good coffee beans are not cheap. About three fourths of the time, I just buy a bag of pre-roasted Dunkin' Donuts coffee beans.

Elias Graves
12-31-2009, 07:53 PM
I write in silence and alone.
Anywhere I can find that, I'm good.
Never found it in a coffee shop though.

EG

DeleyanLee
12-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Depends on the coffee shop.

Necessity has demanded that I work in the coffee shop at various Barnes & Nobles (usually iffy changes of getting something good), a mall location of Borders (so didn't work). A chain has opened (called "Coffee Bean Cafe") locally which is simply marvelous for writing. The music is low but present for white noise, the TVs are located in a way where they can be totally ignored and are muted, and the majority of the people there are working on laptops already and chatting is generally done over by the working fireplace.

Coffee Bean advertises to come in and spend the day with them (and their food is good, coffee is excellent and prices are reasonable). I meet writer friends there every weekend and the staff there has gotten to know us to the point we can simply walk up and say "The usual" and half the time they're already making it for us.

It's a very nice environment for writing and writerly conversation. I'd make it more of a habit if I had the time.

willietheshakes
12-31-2009, 09:28 PM
I actually blogged about this a year or so ago: http://www.robertjwiersema.com/blog/?p=108

The salient paragraphs: When I write, I tend (on a good day) to slip into a flow state. There's a whole post to be written about the flow state, its logistics and powers, but suffice it to say, when the writing hits, I disappear into it, the way an athlete disappears into a work-out, the way a climber disappears into a climb. It's a strange thing — at once completely focussed and yet strangely detached. I'm writing, and I'm lost in it, but it's almost like it's out of my control. I disappear from myself, and the words seem to come almost without my volition.

The trouble is… Well, let's face it: writing isn't what one would consider a high-energy pursuit. I'm not running. I'm not climbing. Despite that, though, the flow state makes me run hot — the blood boils. The temperature rises. And…

Well, let's look at a morning last week. I was deeply into the ending of the new book: after a long struggle to find my way, the words were coming, and I disappeared into the process. When I emerged, an hour or two later, I discovered that not only had I shucked the hoodie that I had donned for the pre-dawn walk to the office, but I had also taken off my shirt. And unbuttoned my pants. So there I was, half-naked, with absolutely no conscious awareness of how I had gotten that way.

Yeah, writing in restaurants — it seems like a good idea, until you start to consider the possibility of suddenly realizing you're de-clothed in a busy Starbucks.

Some things are best kept at home.

scarletpeaches
12-31-2009, 09:30 PM
To your disappointment, shakingwillie, I do not disrobe while writing.

Mainly because I live in Scotland and it's fucking Baltic here.

backslashbaby
12-31-2009, 09:39 PM
I actually blogged about this a year or so ago: http://www.robertjwiersema.com/blog/?p=108

The salient paragraphs: When I write, I tend (on a good day) to slip into a flow state. There's a whole post to be written about the flow state, its logistics and powers, but suffice it to say, when the writing hits, I disappear into it, the way an athlete disappears into a work-out, the way a climber disappears into a climb. It's a strange thing — at once completely focussed and yet strangely detached. I'm writing, and I'm lost in it, but it's almost like it's out of my control. I disappear from myself, and the words seem to come almost without my volition.

The trouble is… Well, let's face it: writing isn't what one would consider a high-energy pursuit. I'm not running. I'm not climbing. Despite that, though, the flow state makes me run hot — the blood boils. The temperature rises. And…

Well, let's look at a morning last week. I was deeply into the ending of the new book: after a long struggle to find my way, the words were coming, and I disappeared into the process. When I emerged, an hour or two later, I discovered that not only had I shucked the hoodie that I had donned for the pre-dawn walk to the office, but I had also taken off my shirt. And unbuttoned my pants. So there I was, half-naked, with absolutely no conscious awareness of how I had gotten that way.

Yeah, writing in restaurants — it seems like a good idea, until you start to consider the possibility of suddenly realizing you're de-clothed in a busy Starbucks.

Some things are best kept at home.

Hee hee, very true! Except I don't disrobe; I run my fingers through my hair when I'm thinking hard in a way that makes it very Mad Scientist-esque, and I cuss and otherwise comment to myself. Oh it's a pretty sight if I've been on a roll ;)

DWSTXS
12-31-2009, 11:39 PM
To your disappointment, shakingwillie, I do not disrobe while writing.

Mainly because I live in Scotland and it's fucking Baltic here.

that really shouldn't stop you, now should it?

gothicangel
01-01-2010, 12:17 AM
You got to be kidding? It's -6 over here with snow predicted!

Jamesaritchie
01-01-2010, 12:19 AM
There is a local, and very seedy, bar I enjoy writing in. It's dirty. The only food is greasy hamburgers and a big jar of pickled eggs on the bar. The coffee is good, likely because mine always has a shot of Irish in it.

The place is always quiet through the day, except on Saturday, and the few people coming in are usually on a lunch break. It'[s a great place to write, as long as you're finished before the evening crowd comes in, which usually happens around seven.

By then I've had enough writing, anyway, and gladly exchange a pencil for a pool cue, and the occasional enhanced coffee for a longneck Bud.

icerose
01-01-2010, 02:57 AM
No coffee shop here, not even a restaurant that isn't a teen hangout.

I write at either the park, outside my house, or at home. Since I still have a kid at home when the weather isn't nice my only option in home. Summer I can at least go outside and enjoy the fresh air. I'll see in two years (my youngest will finally be in school) if that changes any, though I don't really see where I could go in the winter.

bclement412
01-01-2010, 03:07 AM
We have a few coffee shops in my town, but I don't think I could ever write there. Too much going on.

Idkwiaowiw
01-01-2010, 03:42 AM
I would, but I type very loud and very slow when I'm writing a story, so I might get asked to leave. Or, depending on the shop, just get glares.

happywritermom
01-01-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm a big-time coffee-shopper. If I try to write at home, I am too distracted by mounds of laundry and lots of cleaning. That's when the kids aren't home. When they are home, it's pretty much impossible. I don't write at Starbuck's much though because it's always too cold. I prefer to start off at Panera and, if I'm still writing at closing time, hop on over to the Starbucks, which is just a few doors down.

I used to write in the library back when we lived in Arizona. That library had rooms I could reserve and work in. But our library here doesn't have that and I run into too many people I know there.

Midnight Star
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
I definitely love writing at my local Starbucks. Even though it's busy, I can still focus on my work. Coffee shops seem to give me this weird burst of inspiration and it's easier for me to write there. Plus, I love coffee. :D

Collectonian
01-02-2010, 01:52 AM
I did most of my nanoing in either the Starbucks cafe in our local Barnes and Noble, or at Muldoon's a newer coffee house here. Though it was finals time, most of the time it was quiet enough and the change of scenery helped me get to writing, whereas being at home is distracting with the animals. Both have free wifi, and the availability of yummy food and drinks helped. Starbucks I'd get my favorite winter drink: steamer with 2% milk and double vanilla, while I'd get either that or a strawberry banana smoothie at Muldoon's.

For editing, the first draft done on paper I did at Casa Ole over the course of several weeks (always had the same server, which was amusing). In computer editing is done at home....which may be why its taking the longest ;-P

Tara Stone
01-02-2010, 04:14 AM
I do all my writing at home. I write much better in an environment that I'm familiar with, and one that doesn't have very much going in. It's not that I wouldn't be able to write in a coffee shop, but I'm able to get more writing done faster, and the words come more easily, when I'm at home. So it's an easy choice for me :)

Besides, there's the back strain issue - I've never really been able to get comfortable writing on my laptop.

AryaT92
01-02-2010, 04:18 AM
I feel like I would be easily distracted unless I brought an iPod and got in the zone. I prefer my house so I can be weird and jump around and go crazy.

CAWriter
01-03-2010, 10:34 AM
My home is the place populated with noisy children; US coffeeshops are usually relatively child-free. There are a couple of local places I go to take care of busy-work; the music is often not conducive to writing, but my own music with headphones takes care of that.

My preferred place to write (and that of many other writers I know) is Panera Bread. There's magic in the combination of the scent of fresh-baked everything, amazing soups, endless iced tea refills and completely unobtrusive yet productivity-inducing soft jazz.

I used to write at home and edit elsewhere (I prefer to edit to distraction), but these days by the time the house is quiet, I'm too tired to be creative.

Jamesaritchie
01-03-2010, 08:52 PM
My home is the place populated with noisy children; US coffeeshops are usually relatively child-free. There are a couple of local places I go to take care of busy-work; the music is often not conducive to writing, but my own music with headphones takes care of that.

My preferred place to write (and that of many other writers I know) is Panera Bread. There's magic in the combination of the scent of fresh-baked everything, amazing soups, endless iced tea refills and completely unobtrusive yet productivity-inducing soft jazz.

I used to write at home and edit elsewhere (I prefer to edit to distraction), but these days by the time the house is quiet, I'm too tired to be creative.

If I tried writing at Panera Bread, I'd weigh four hundred pounds within a year. I can't walk past one without salivating.

Phaeal
01-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Perhaps because Providence is a big university town, the coffee shop culture is very accommodating for writers. Day-long camping is common; I've never seen anyone asked to leave for an offense short of ax murder.

My favorite spot:

The Coffee Exchange on Wickenden Street, in the heart of the simultaneously tony and bohemian East Side. This place stocks beans from all over the world, which it roasts itself, and its coffee is the best. Bar none. The Kid from Brooklyn blend is to die for, as is Mel's Decaf, for those laidback moments. Best hot chocolate, too (Ghiradhelli's all the way), and best chais -- all fresh-brewed, not that boxed liquid base stuff.

The main space is two ground floor rooms in a little mansard Victorian with superb people-watching views of the funky boutique-restaurant-residential street. The tables are close-packed and hard to come by at peak hours. However, half the clientele are "transients," just there for a quick drink, so you do get enough turnover of tables to make waiting worth while. Another tenth of the clientele are the "chatting regulars," mostly older guys that hang out with each other and chew massive amounts of fat. The rest are students and writers and even artists, all at work. Artists tend to get gawkers -- art is easier to rubberneck than writing. People usually leave the writers and students alone, unless the curious one is actually more interested in a pick-up than in what the writer's doing. Tapping away on a laptop or scratching in a notebook is just too common around here to earn any attention. Which is very nice indeed. And the occasional pick-up attempts are eavesdropping fodder for the rest of us.

Kids? You get a few, but this isn't a family destination, and there isn't room for strollers inside.

The atmosphere is liberal and eclectic and profanity-and-politics friendly, and the only sin is not respecting personal property left on tables or chairs to hold them. Well, it's also a sin to put a shop-owned newspaper or a semi-consumed drink on a table, then to complain when someone removes them and takes the table. Only YOUR OWN STUFF can hold territory: clothing, books, bags, computers, keys, the occasional infant or service dog. It's okay to bring in your own serious food, as the shop sells only snacks, no real meals. However, the one drink/snack rule per two hours rule does apply. That's the table rent, enforced not by the staff but by celestial demerits for those who defy the rule -- enough celestial demerits, and it's a coffeeless hell of an afterlife for you, buddy.

The only problem -- you leave smelling like roasting coffee beans. Oh well. When they're doing an espresso roast, the smell permeates half the East Side.

Mmmm.

DWSTXS
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Perhaps because Providence is a big university town, the coffee shop culture is very accommodating for writers. Day-long camping is common; I've never seen anyone asked to leave for an offense short of ax murder.

My favorite spot:

The Coffee Exchange on Wickenden Street, in the heart of the simultaneously tony and bohemian East Side. This place stocks beans from all over the world, which it roasts itself, and its coffee is the best. Bar none. The Kid from Brooklyn blend is to die for, as is Mel's Decaf, for those laidback moments. Best hot chocolate, too (Ghiradhelli's all the way), and best chais -- all fresh-brewed, not that boxed liquid base stuff.

The main space is two ground floor rooms in a little mansard Victorian with superb people-watching views of the funky boutique-restaurant-residential street. The tables are close-packed and hard to come by at peak hours. However, half the clientele are "transients," just there for a quick drink, so you do get enough turnover of tables to make waiting worth while. Another tenth of the clientele are the "chatting regulars," mostly older guys that hang out with each other and chew massive amounts of fat. The rest are students and writers and even artists, all at work. Artists tend to get gawkers -- art is easier to rubberneck than writing. People usually leave the writers and students alone, unless the curious one is actually more interested in a pick-up than in what the writer's doing. Tapping away on a laptop or scratching in a notebook is just too common around here to earn any attention. Which is very nice indeed. And the occasional pick-up attempts are eavesdropping fodder for the rest of us.

Kids? You get a few, but this isn't a family destination, and there isn't room for strollers inside.

The atmosphere is liberal and eclectic and profanity-and-politics friendly, and the only sin is not respecting personal property left on tables or chairs to hold them. Well, it's also a sin to put a shop-owned newspaper or a semi-consumed drink on a table, then to complain when someone removes them and takes the table. Only YOUR OWN STUFF can hold territory: clothing, books, bags, computers, keys, the occasional infant or service dog. It's okay to bring in your own serious food, as the shop sells only snacks, no real meals. However, the one drink/snack rule per two hours rule does apply. That's the table rent, enforced not by the staff but by celestial demerits for those who defy the rule -- enough celestial demerits, and it's a coffeeless hell of an afterlife for you, buddy.

The only problem -- you leave smelling like roasting coffee beans. Oh well. When they're doing an espresso roast, the smell permeates half the East Side.

Mmmm.

This sounds a lot like Dunn Bros coffeeshop in Addison (Dallas) except that they serve sandwiches and salads and beer and wine too. Great place for people-watching AND they have FREE live entertainment every night.

The Lonely One
01-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Robert Olen Butler said he used to write on the train and when he stopped riding he had trouble writing.

Me, I prefer a dining room table if it's available. I guess I just feel like a pretentious twit writing in a starbucks. I mean, why do people need to see me writing, for christ's sake? Not to stir up any trouble here in AW town, but to me, you shouldn't need to write in public to feel like a writer. And that whole idea of entitlement and lattes mixed into one ball of hippie nonsense just makes me feel...sick to my stomach.

Yes, give me a dining room table or give me death. Something like that.

icerose
01-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Robert Olen Butler said he used to write on the train and when he stopped riding he had trouble writing.

Me, I prefer a dining room table if it's available. I guess I just feel like a pretentious twit writing in a starbucks. I mean, why do people need to see me writing, for christ's sake? Not to stir up any trouble here in AW town, but to me, you shouldn't need to write in public to feel like a writer. And that whole idea of entitlement and lattes mixed into one ball of hippie nonsense just makes me feel...sick to my stomach.

I think for some writers it's about getting out of the house and into a place with other people.

Not necessarily to have people see them writing.

For example I love writing out in the sun up at the school or park during the summer while kids play. Sometimes other people see me writing. But my goal isn't for people to see me write, but rather to hear my child laugh and watch them play and be out in the open air.

It's actually rather annoying when people see me writing because it is almost always followed by either a stream of questions or "You shouldn't waste your time writing that, my life story could make us millions." And on blabbing about their life story for the next hour. Ugh!

I much prefer people not coming.

DWSTXS
01-05-2010, 03:27 AM
I agree with Icerose.
I don't care if people see me writing. My deal, is to get OUT of the house. I'm single, and and have no life, LOL, and if I don't get out, I'd go stir crazy.

Jamesaritchie
01-05-2010, 03:38 AM

I spend 80% of my writing time all alone, whether at home, in the woods, or in a private reading room at the library, but writing at a coffeehouse or bar or restaurant has nothing at all to do needing to write in public, and sure as hell has nothing to do with entitlement.

But sometimes I do need to get out of the house or go stir crazy. Especially this time of year. We're running from fifteen to twenty-five degrees below average, the wind never stops blowing, and it's likely to stay pretty much this way for the next two months or more. Cabin fever is very real.

Getting out of the house now and then is a must, and if I'm going to get out, I'd be a damned fool to waste the time when I can use it to write.

Writers should write where and how they're comfortable. There's nothing pretentious about it. In truth, pretty much no one out there in the public is going to pay any attention to you at all, or give a damn what you're doing. Too many business people, college students, high school kids, or just plain internet surfers, etc., spend time out there on laptops for a writer to be anything more than one more nobody doing nothing anyone cares about.

ChimeraCreative
01-05-2010, 05:06 AM
There's a 24 hour Tim Horton's just a block away and it's lovely to sit in at night. Sometimes I bring my ipod, sometimes I bring my husband cuz we both like to get wriing done there.

But I must confess, the best nights spent at the coffee shop are when there's a table of cops nearby discussing calls they've been on and what's going on around town. ^_^

-An

Phaeal
01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I mean, why do people need to see me writing, for christ's sake? Not to stir up any trouble here in AW town, but to me, you shouldn't need to write in public to feel like a writer. And that whole idea of entitlement and lattes mixed into one ball of hippie nonsense just makes me feel...sick to my stomach.

In my haunts of choice, so many people sit around writing or studying or painting or shooting film or even sculpting that creative endeavor is the norm. The only way to get attention is to sit around doing nothing. Oooh, everyone thinks. There is a person so advanced he has transcended the need to make. Let us bow to him. Let us buy him lattes. Let us lay brownies at his feet.

Lattes are good for the stomach, by the way, and for the disposition. Especially caramel lattes, the nectar of the gods.

I'm not getting the venom, Lonely. The rest of us going out to coffee shops doesn't preclude you from sitting at the dining room table. Please, feel free. More room out for us.

DWSTXS
01-05-2010, 07:51 PM
In my haunts of choice, so many people sit around writing or studying or painting or shooting film or even sculpting that creative endeavor is the norm. The only way to get attention is to sit around doing nothing. Oooh, everyone thinks. There is a person so advanced he has transcended the need to make. Let us bow to him. Let us buy him lattes. Let us lay brownies at his feet.

Lattes are good for the stomach, by the way, and for the disposition. Especially caramel lattes, the nectar of the gods.

I'm not getting the venom, Lonely. The rest of us going out to coffee shops doesn't preclude you from sitting at the dining room table. Please, feel free. More room out for us.

Just because I am working doesn't mean that you can't lay brownies at my feet. Bring 'em on. I'll lay waste to them. Latte's too.

LOL

scarletpeaches
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM

Yes, give me a dining room table or give me death. Something like that.We don't need to write in public. In fact it's something I find difficult if I haven't done so in a while.

It has nothing to do with people seeing me write. If I write in public I'm not doing it to be seen. I'm not public property. I'm doing it just to get the hell out of the house. To not have to stare at the same four walls while I write. Because I have bills to pay and errands to run during my break time.

I've got as much right to be sitting there writing as you have to be sitting there doing whatever you do.

backslashbaby
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Sometimes a latte is just a latte.

They're just yummy. I have the pretenses of a four year old [to the dismay of many!] :D

Phaeal
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Just because I am working doesn't mean that you can't lay brownies at my feet. Bring 'em on. I'll lay waste to them. Latte's too.

LOL

All right, all right. Just don't step on 'em.

icerose
01-06-2010, 12:02 AM

I am curious, because I really am. Do you find painters pretentious who are painting buildings or scenery out on a sidewalk because they are working in public? What about construction workers? Brick layers? Performing artists?

What is it that's so different with writing that it should be considered pretentious if seen?

Sunnyside
01-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Those of you who can write in coffee shops, I'm jealous.

I can't do it. First of all, I'm easily distracted by conversations, people, music, and the like. Wish I wasn't, but I am.

Secondly, I write non-fiction (non-memoir), and therefore I tend to need a LOT of stuff with me when I write. I need my binder of notes, quotes, articles, sources, and so on, and I tend to also need the notebook where I write down other notes as I come to think of things I need to either look up or double-check. Other times I need books with me. It's just too messy and unwieldy to sit at a table, in public, with all of the stuff!

But I would if I could.

dirtsider
01-06-2010, 12:30 AM
I tried writing at a tea shop once but stopped mostly because I got annoyed with my laptop, rather than anything else. Then the brick-and-morter shop went out of business and is now just an online shop. But one of the local malls just put in some really comfy chairs so I might move there. (And it's closer than the tea shop was.) Now I just have to get used to my laptop. I generally write on a desk top at home.

On the other hand, I do tend to read books for my research and take notes while I'm out and about.

Polenth
01-06-2010, 01:08 AM
I find things like coffee shops overwhelming. It's too much sensory data at once. I'm fine with sitting there and drinking something, but trying to write wouldn't be fun.

finnisempty
01-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't then again I rarely frequent coffee shops. I write at home.

HighDesertBrat
01-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I don't need to write in public to feel like a writer. I need to write in public to be able to write. If I try to write at home, I see the evidence of how long it's been since I dusted, the load of laundry that needs to be tossed into the machine, the dishes that need to be washed, the floor that should be mopped, etc.

So for me, it's coffee shops, cafes, diners, truck stops, the Waffle House, IHOP, Denny's, the park, public transportation, food court at the mall. Anyplace that isn't home is fair game.

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm going off writing in public. Today, in the library...a place that's supposed to be quiet? I got a few hundred words done and people...ick. They got too close. I felt like they were looking over my shoulder, or trying to. Paranoid? Maybe. But it's a fact there are some out there who want to know what a writer's up to and think because they're in public, they're public property.

I'd like to train myself to be able to write in public, though. It's either that or get cabin fever. Sometimes I have to get out of the house.

Jamesaritchie
01-21-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm going off writing in public. Today, in the library...a place that's supposed to be quiet? I got a few hundred words done and people...ick. They got too close. I felt like they were looking over my shoulder, or trying to. Paranoid? Maybe. But it's a fact there are some out there who want to know what a writer's up to and think because they're in public, they're public property.

I'd like to train myself to be able to write in public, though. It's either that or get cabin fever. Sometimes I have to get out of the house.

How does anyone in the library know you aren't just doing something for your job? Our library generally has at least a dozen people sitting around banging on laptops, but I'm the only writer there.

Of course, we do have private reading/writing rooms for those who need absolute quiet, but I've never found anyone who cared in the least what I was doing.

I don't see how anyone even knows you are a writer, unless you tell them.

But maybe they should know. Because I have quite a few novels in our local library, pretty much everyone there, including most of the patrons, know I'm a writer, but I never, ever get bothered, unless it's by the once yearly I'm-trying-to-write-a-novel patron.

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 01:44 AM
How does anyone in the library know you aren't just doing something for your job?How many jobs involve sitting in a library working on a netbook?
Our library generally has at least a dozen people sitting around banging on laptops, but I'm the only writer there.The one I was in has none. There are computers for public use of course, but I was the only person who brought their own.
Of course, we do have private reading/writing rooms for those who need absolute quiet...We don't.
...I've never found anyone who cared in the least what I was doing.Try being young, female and in possession of a computer. It was worse when I was blonde, but yes, I was interrupted several times by people asking what I was doing.
I don't see how anyone even knows you are a writer, unless you tell them.Well...I was the only person there with a laptop. Writing. So it's pretty obvious I'm a writer.
But maybe they should know. Because I have quite a few novels in our local library, pretty much everyone there, including most of the patrons, know I'm a writer, but I never, ever get bothered, unless it's by the once yearly I'm-trying-to-write-a-novel patron.I have no novels in my local (well, Central) library and no-one would know they were mine if I did as I plan to publish under a pen name...then again, the council doesn't stock erotica in its libraries so I reckon I'm safe.

But trust me. People do have a nosey when you're working on a laptop. Even if it's a sneaky squint at the screen as they hover behind you. Yes I've caught them at it.

(Usually at that point I give them a dirty look and turn back to the screen and type something overtly sexual in huge type involving donkeys and buckets of custard).

Standard reply for "What are you doing?" is "Working," without making eye contact.

Jamesaritchie
01-21-2010, 02:04 AM
But trust me. People do have a nosey when you're working on a laptop. Even if it's a sneaky squint at the screen as they hover behind you. Yes I've caught them at it.

(Usually at that point I give them a dirty look and turn back to the screen and type something overtly sexual in huge type involving donkeys and buckets of custard).

Standard reply for "What are you doing?" is "Working," without making eye contact.

Interesting. It may be that I'm not easily distracted, and just don't notice anyone looking over my shoulder. Not that I'd care. I can write in the middle of a crowd, and often have.

But now you've made me paranoid. I'm going to be looking over my shoulder just to see if anyone is looking back.

DWSTXS
01-21-2010, 02:04 AM

I've done this before, when I know someone is 'surfing' over my shoulder. LOL. as I wrote:

"Then he asked if he could rent a crack whore, preferably black. Or a goat."

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 02:21 AM
We should meet up someday and have a 'freak the other customers out' contest. :D

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 02:22 AM
Interesting. It may be that I'm not easily distracted, and just don't notice anyone looking over my shoulder. Not that I'd care. I can write in the middle of a crowd, and often have.

But now you've made me paranoid. I'm going to be looking over my shoulder just to see if anyone is looking back.This pleases me. :D

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-21-2010, 02:28 AM
Do you want me to send you a variation of the index-card sized "Do Not Disturb" placards I hand out at my NaNo Kick-Offs? :D

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 02:34 AM
With "Do Not Disturb" translated into SP-speak? :D

OctoberLee
01-21-2010, 02:44 AM

Ditto with the people proximity paranoia! Err.. I'm better now, but I still have to have a wall at my back.

Generally I like writing in coffee shops because there are no homemade distractions. However, on Sunday I went to one where they usually play lazy jazzy music, and I can zone out. I was leagues away from this chick, also sitting there with her laptop, who apparently was calling everyone in her phonebook who she could discuss her personal/financial issues with. I could have choked her. I even put headphones in and turned up the grooveshark on my laptop - and still couldn't drown her out! When I left, I had trouble resisting the urge to dump the rest of my latte on her.

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-21-2010, 03:11 AM
With "Do Not Disturb" translated into SP-speak? :D

How is 'Fuck off, I'm writing dammit!'? ;)

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 03:13 AM
We has a winnah! :D

M.R.J. Le Blanc
01-21-2010, 03:57 AM
I'll get right on it!

Dave.C.Robinson
01-21-2010, 05:57 AM
I wrote at the Smithsonian last Friday (both Air & Space, and Natural History).

Shadow_Ferret
01-21-2010, 06:11 AM
How many jobs involve sitting in a library working on a netbook?

How do they know you're not doing a paper for university? Research?

Our library has individual desks with sides so you can sit in privacy.

Heck, I used to write in a tavern at the bar! You think people are nosey in a library?...

KTC
01-21-2010, 06:18 AM
there is currently a coffee shop writing contest...

http://www.coffeeshopauthor.com/

i do believe you have to be canadian though

Annayna
01-21-2010, 06:35 AM
I've written in taco bell, and everyone and their brother sat next to me to ask if I had wifi or what not... Im like no Im a writer.. then the questions roll down from there..

scarletpeaches
01-21-2010, 06:40 AM
How do they know you're not doing a paper for university? Research?This city has two universities...well, a uni and a Mickey Mouse affair that's actually a poly with delusions of grandeur...and they both have their own libraries.

Given that I clearly know one end of a bar of soap from another, I'm not a student.

And even if I were...they'd be able to confirm that when they peer at my screen and see cocks all over the place (I don't mean random photos; I mean the genre I write. Erotica). :D

Our library has individual desks with sides so you can sit in privacy.Ours doesn't. There are desks but no dividers.
Heck, I used to write in a tavern at the bar! You think people are nosey in a library?...That's your own fault for going to a tavern. A library is supposed to be a quiet, private place. Sadly, even this isn't so nowadays.

Treyfan
01-21-2010, 07:06 AM
I tried writing at my local library two weeks ago. Ha. Won't do that again.

I kid you not. 30min into my writing, some woman comes up to me and asks about my hair. "Is it real? Can I touch it? Are you wearing an afro wig?" and proceeds putting her hands in my hair without my permission.

Yeaaaaaaah.

3hrs after that, a woman waltzes up to my table and begins asking about the pepper spray on my keychain. "Where did you get that? How much did it cost? I'm thinking of getting one...blah blah blah"

And I'm thinking, "Um...really? I have PEPPER SPRAY for a reason! GTFO my face!"

I should tattoo GTFO on my forehead, I swear... I have one of those "approachable" faces I guess. *Sigh*

Can't write in public. There are too many morons out there who won't leave me alone!

Jamesaritchie
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
I tried writing at my local library two weeks ago. Ha. Won't do that again.

I kid you not. 30min into my writing, some woman comes up to me and asks about my hair. "Is it real? Can I touch it? Are you wearing an afro wig?" and proceeds putting her hands in my hair without my permission.

Yeaaaaaaah.

3hrs after that, a woman waltzes up to my table and begins asking about the pepper spray on my keychain. "Where did you get that? How much did it cost? I'm thinking of getting one...blah blah blah"

And I'm thinking, "Um...really? I have PEPPER SPRAY for a reason! GTFO my face!"

I should tattoo GTFO on my forehead, I swear... I have one of those "approachable" faces I guess. *Sigh*

Can't write in public. There are too many morons out there who won't leave me alone!

Don't you get these same questions in public when you aren't writing?

Then again, maybe I don't seem as approachable because I generally carry a Colt Gold Cup in plain view.

DWSTXS
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I write in the same coffee shop every day, and have gone there almost every single day for the past 3 years. Well, on Sunday one of the regular customers (and a gorgeous woman to boot) came over to say that she'd just gotten a Kindle and was going to buy my book. That was nice.

I've had a few people ask me what I'm writing, or if I'm a writer because they always see me in there.

I'm more flattered than annoyed.

Except for one couple who shanghaied me into doing a crit of their business web page that they were developing. I looked at it, and they proceeded to grill me, asking me what I thought of this part and that part. At one point, they said that I was 'wrong' about something and said that you'd have to be stupid to believe that, about some remark that I made, an opinion. Then they began talking down to me in a very condescending way.
I am much too polite to tell them off, but I did say that I had work to do and excused myself. Several times since they've had the gall to try to approach me to 'help' them again. I always decline.
Someone asks you for help, then they begin putting you down when you give that help? I'm out on that.

Shadow_Ferret
01-21-2010, 07:27 PM
That's your own fault for going to a tavern. A library is supposed to be a quiet, private place. Sadly, even this isn't so nowadays.

They frown on my drinking at the library.

Treyfan
01-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Don't you get these same questions in public when you aren't writing?

Then again, maybe I don't seem as approachable because I generally carry a Colt Gold Cup in plain view.

No.

No one has EVER asked me about pepper spray. And when it comes to my hair, I'm never asked about it unless I'm sitting down in a quiet place like a restaurant or library--even then, it's rare. With that said, a stranger has NEVER put their hands through my hair like this crazy lady did. I mean, who DOES that? I had half a mind to use the pepper spray on her!

I need that Colt Gold Cup instead of pepper spray, lol! Seems to be working for you!

Treyfan
01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
I write in the same coffee shop every day, and have gone there almost every single day for the past 3 years. Well, on Sunday one of the regular customers (and a gorgeous woman to boot) came over to say that she'd just gotten a Kindle and was going to buy my book. That was nice.

I've had a few people ask me what I'm writing, or if I'm a writer because they always see me in there.

I'm more flattered than annoyed.

Except for one couple who shanghaied me into doing a crit of their business web page that they were developing. I looked at it, and they proceeded to grill me, asking me what I thought of this part and that part. At one point, they said that I was 'wrong' about something and said that you'd have to be stupid to believe that, about some remark that I made, an opinion. Then they began talking down to me in a very condescending way.
I am much too polite to tell them off, but I did say that I had work to do and excused myself. Several times since they've had the gall to try to approach me to 'help' them again. I always decline.
Someone asks you for help, then they begin putting you down when you give that help? I'm out on that.

Where are you writing? If you're in Carrolton (I'm in Coppell, hello!) I need to go to this coffee shop! 3yrs in the same shop? That's quite impressive! Are you writing at a Starbucks or something? :D

DWSTXS
01-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Where are you writing? If you're in Carrolton (I'm in Coppell, hello!) I need to go to this coffee shop! 3yrs in the same shop? That's quite impressive! Are you writing at a Starbucks or something? :D

Dunn Bros coffee shop at Belt Line and Marsh, in Addison. They have coffee, tea, soft drinks, beer and wine, and sandwiches. They also have free live entertainment every night. It's the best coffee shop around. They're so good, they put the Starbucks (across the street) out of business.

Come on by and say hello. I'll be there.

Treyfan
01-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Dunn Bros coffee shop at Belt Line and Marsh, in Addison. They have coffee, tea, soft drinks, beer and wine, and sandwiches. They also have free live entertainment every night. It's the best coffee shop around. They're so good, they put the Starbucks (across the street) out of business.

Come on by and say hello. I'll be there.

Oooo! Awesome! That's like...15min away from my apartment. Cool beans and rice. Once I'm done with class (*cue groans and face-to-palms*) I'll see if I can stop by. I JUST got a full request yesterday and I need to speed-polish before I send it off today! Gah!

Don't know what you look like...but you'll know me if you see me. I'll be the pretty girl with the 'fro! LOL. Maybe I'll see you, maybe I won't! Thanks for the tip, anyways!

:D Happy writing!

DWSTXS
01-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Oooo! Awesome! That's like...15min away from my apartment. Cool beans and rice. Once I'm done with class (*cue groans and face-to-palms*) I'll see if I can stop by. I JUST got a full request yesterday and I need to speed-polish before I send it off today! Gah!

Don't know what you look like...but you'll know me if you see me. I'll be the pretty girl with the 'fro! LOL. Maybe I'll see you, maybe I won't! Thanks for the tip, anyways!

:D Happy writing!

That's my pic (avatar) except I shaved.

Treyfan
01-22-2010, 02:01 AM
@DWSTXS

This place is AWESOME! How am I just hearing about it now?! It's very quiet...the iced chai is GREAT and (best of all) internet access if FREE and wireless!

Oh yeah! I'm one happy camper! You'll probably see me now from time to time! Thanks for introducing me to this place! Instant love!

KTC
01-22-2010, 02:03 AM
look at that! a writerly connection. coolies.

no writers in my cafe! sigh.

maestrowork
01-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Coffee shops are my real office.

I love the vibes. I don't mind the noise since when I'm focused I tune it out anyway. But I like the fact that a) I have to "go somewhere" -- so it's like going to work, and b) I have free refills so $1.95 lasts me a LONG TIME, and c) it's great for people watching when I need to take a break, and d) I get free wifi, and e) I know the staff so well that they give me freebies and also chat up with me when I want to... kind of like a water cooler without being at a real office. I'm mostly a people person, so I really do enjoy the vibes and the atmosphere of having people around.

I tried working at libraries but the quietness freaked me out. I need ambient noise.

As for people looking over my shoulders, etc. -- that's why I pick the corner tables. Also, most people are so busy with their own shit and stuck in their own universes that they're the LEAST interested in what I'm doing.

It's basically an office for me without it being an office (meaning, I'm not stuck there). I can't work at home -- to much distraction (laundry, dishes, TV, bed, household stuff, pets, etc.) I need a routine, and going to and working at a coffee shop fits the bill really well. For me.

Susan Lanigan
01-22-2010, 05:08 AM
Sometimes (tho only recently) here:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2754116702_10acc133b1_o.jpg

Chasing the Horizon
01-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I could never write in public. *shudder* I absolutely hate having face-to-face contact with living people, and can't imagine concentrating on anything with people around. The only place I'll write other than my house is in my car when I'm parked and waiting for my mom to get out of an appointment.

I don't get cabin fever. When the weather was bad this winter I think I went 3 or 4 weeks without leaving my apartment. It was nice.

vfury
01-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I've been writing in coffee shops regularly since last summer. I alternate between three Starbucks, but the staff in all three locations know me by sight and there are a few regular staff members I chat to when I'm ordering. I was sad when they introduced the free wifi in Ireland because I used to get loads done when I couldn't go online (and having no internet connection was one of the reasons I started writing in Starbucks), and now it's temptation lurking in the background. I also strangely enough find it easier to block out background noise there than I would at home.

I probably wouldn't write as much in coffee shops if I could fit a desk in my room, but I can comfortably get a lot done in a two-hour session (and it helps knowing I only have two hours if I'm fitting this into a work day) so I have no reason to moan.

MrWrite
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
In my local Barnes and Noble we have a lovely little Starbucks. They don't play annoying music. There isn't a problem with screaming babies or kids (well not so far anyway.) I do a fair amount of writing there. I can sit for hours with no-one to bother me. I probably wrote more than half of my first draft in that coffee shop.

chrysalnix
01-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Our library has a closed off room on the second floor that actually would be ideal for writing if it weren’t for the fact that the public book drop is located right underneath it on the first floor. So your writing session goes something like this:

She looked up in horror at the black shadow advancing - - -

KCHUNK!
KCHUNK!
KCHUNK!

Okay, concentrate!
She looked up in horror - - -

KCHUNK!
KCHUNK!
KCHUNK!
KCHUNK!

I never realized how busy that book drop was until I tried writing in that “writing room.”

However, I am loving Gillhoughly’s idea of writing at home in the recliner with my Neo propped up on a lap table. Very nice. After getting everything situated, it’s just too much trouble to get up and take care of distractions, and I can put my cell phone on a table right next to the recliner if I get a call. I’ve gotten quite a bit of writing done this way.

On the other hand, getting out of the house is nice too. Maybe I’ll find a coffee shop…

Cassiopeia
01-25-2010, 03:27 AM
In my local Barnes and Noble we have a lovely little Starbucks. They don't play annoying music. There isn't a problem with screaming babies or kids (well not so far anyway.) I do a fair amount of writing there. I can sit for hours with no-one to bother me. I probably wrote more than half of my first draft in that coffee shop.Yes, I love B&N for that very reason, except, their chairs kill my hiney. I hate that. My lower back can't take it.

I love writing in public. I don't care if someone interrupts me and often it's just to talk to me for a moment. I've yet to have someone walk up when I have my head down glued to the screen typing away at a freakishly scary pace.

It's when I look up and around, make eye contact and smile that I see someone say, "So what you doing that has you so intent on your work?"

People are nice to be around, ya know? (okay for the most part).