Novella

theantisplice

Punctual
Registered
Reaction score
How would one go about finding an agent to represent a novella? My most recent work (still being edited) is a full, complete story, but it happens to be a shorter one - word count clocks in at about 48k.

So I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd really love to think about submitting it around, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've looked through the Writer's Market guide and done some Googling, but the results are more confusing than anything else. What can I do? How can I find an agent who would handle something of this length?

Thanks! :)

Reaction score
You probably wouldn't. Agents go for novels.

Luckily, 48k might just squeak into 'novel' territory, especially if it's YA.

Other than that, I would suggest e-publishers.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
I used Writersmarket.com to find a list of verified reputable agents, it does cost $5 a month but you can always cancel after the first month, it was definitely worth it. It lets you organize and search the likes and dislikes of agents / publishers to find out what agent fits your book.

I took some screenshots if you want to check out some of what it has to offer:

http://img407.imageshack.us/i/17443024.png/

http://img207.yfrog.com/img207/9975/81257351.png

http://img96.imageshack.us/i/75553458.png/

http://img43.imageshack.us/i/75377666.png/

Publishers Marketplace can help you find out what agents have sold what to who, AW is a great place to make sure they are legit, I would definitely do some backround checks before signing anything with anyone. Also, it's recommended that you don't sign with the first agent that throws you a contract until you let the rest reply, waiting for an agent with more of a reputation will ultimately take time off your inevitable wait with publishers.

If you plan on sending proposals out to publishers that's also a great way to hook in agents, I sent mine out to publishers / agents at the same time and after receiving feedback from publishers the agents I emailed became much more interested. I simply emailed the publishers who had books out similar to mine, this is always a good idea. Usually you write what you like to read so just check your bookshelves for whatever book parallels yours and find the pub

Good luck.

Use Publishers Marketplace to find books that are similar to yours and the agents that represent them. Query them.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
While novels generally start at 50k words, there are published examples below that count. It's possible to find an agent for a work at your length, depending on genre. A 48k thriller or fantasy will be a tough sell; a 48k YA or cozy mystery may get picked up.

theantisplice

Punctual
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of trying to sell it as a novel. It's not YA - MC is a few years too old - and it's what I've been calling "suburban fantasy" - fantasy with a modern setting, but less edgy than the urban fantasy I've read, if that makes any sense.

(Why the hell did I write this thing?)

But I'll try to compare novels and see if I can dig up anything similar. Thank you for the suggestions!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Novellas aren't published often: but if the writing is wonderful, they stand a chance. A novella called Disquiet (author is Julia someone, but I'm afraid I can't remember her last name) was published recently in the UK to great acclaim. Her writing is exquisite, which must have helped.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
40K is always a novel, not a novella. It may be a novel that's too short for many publishers and many booklines, so that could be a problem, but it is a novel.