Hi, I'm from the internet and I am here to meet you...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue

Have any of you ever met someone from the internet? How'd it go? What was it like?

A couple of years ago I flew to Seattle to meet a girl. it was sort of a reckless kind of weekend and the whole situation didn't really end all that well aftewards. It wasn't terrible, just didn't end well.

Tonight, after swearing I'd never do it again, I'm doing it again. Except this time I'm staying right here. I find it kinda interesting to be on THIS side of the equation (as opposed to last time when I was the one traveling).

Talk about your "my internets spawned a consciousness and materialized into a flesh and blood person before me" type stories in here.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yep. I married him. For some reason, he thought the girl who sat in the corner of the chat room arbitrarily correcting people's grammar and spelling was funny. Well, that and I knew what his name meant. Not many people in Ohio chatrooms can decipher "inspidity" apparently.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I've met a couple of people from another writer's site. Both girls, but that was a purely incidental fact - neither was *that* sort of meeting.
I knew both of them pretty well from chatting online, and meeting them was pretty much as I expected - neither of them turned out to be axe-wielding loonies or anything. And, luckily for them, neither did I.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I've met a ton of people from the internet. First time I went to London to meet about a dozen of them from one site. Next year we spent the weekend in Amsterdam. I have no fear (well, maybe a little fear) when it comes to meeting up with online friends for drinking and mayhem. :D

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
ascii_man.gif

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you know I did. And you know how it's going. :) I am happier than I've ever been. I don't think there's much of a stigma attached to meeting someone over the internet anymore. I know several other couples who met online and later married. Actually, for my best friend, it happened in much the same way that it happened with me and my SO.

He and I met in a public place for the first date. We talked over sushi for a good three hours then rented a movie and went back to my place. Think whatever you want to think about what happened that night, but by the second date, we were living together.

With my best friend, she met her husband in a public place, was so nervous she barely ate, and they sat and talked for hours. They moved very quickly and got married barely a week after the divorce from her previous marriage was final.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I found my husband on Craigslist. He was quite a bargain.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I talked with a woman for about 6 months, and we finally decided that it would be fun to both fly to Vegas. She was in Philly and I'm in Dallas. We would meet in person for the first time at the vegas airport.

Our idea was this: it would be fun to go meet someone in vegas, get married at the little white chapel on the strip, booze it up, gamble and have fun for a weekend, then get the marriage annulled, and separate at the airport and fly home.

We thought it would make a GREAT story to tell some day.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Really? I tried to auction off "One slightly used husband, responds to bologna. Potty-trained" on Ebay and had no takers.

Darnit. I only wanted five bucks for him.

:D

I think you only get that kind of money for the ones with new shocks and struts.

Reaction score
I've met shitloads of people off the intrawebs. I honestly don't know how many. Most of the time it evolves from a casual, "Hey, I'll be in your neck of the woods," kinda thing, no pressure.

The furthest I've travelled is down to Yorkshire. Spent the weekend with a female friend loafing about, having a laugh, going to gay bars.

The furthest a netpeoples has travelled to see me is from America. :D (Okay, they were gonna be in Scotland anyway, but I flatter myself I was worth the journey).

I once spent a weekend on the banks of Loch Lomond (sounds like a song, huh?) getting stoned with a bunch of folks I met on the net. Was a fuckin' blast. What I remember of it anyway!

I've met two people from AW and will no doubt meet more this coming year. At least on this site we're sure to have something in common!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Never a relationship kind of "meet someone from the internet", but I have met several people from AW.

Mac, Medievalist, Dawno, Richard White, tjwriter, roach, shawkins, chunkyC, Roger Carlson, Birol, auntybug, melaniehoo, Angie, Leukman, RLB, ToT, and Ray (and newbie Cranberry). I knew DL Hegel before she came to AW so that probably doesn't count (I referred her).

And two or three ladies from a moms' BB I belonged to through my pregnancies.

cscarlet

AW = Procrastination.
Registered
Reaction score
I have met quite a few online friends... mostly the girls I planned my wedding with via message-board (we all met on a bride's site and started our own, then stayed close). I know, we're nerds. We love it. :)

I had someone come down and stay with me here at my house, and I've met a few girls out of town (like scarletpeaches) when I just so happened to be in their area. Usually just dinner and drinks, sometimes some shopping. I couldn't make the camping trip they organized last year, but I saw pictures :D

It's been quite fun :) Sometimes I think they're better friends than my real ones. LOL.

Reaction score
I had someone come down and stay with me here at my house, and I've met a few girls out of town (like scarletpeaches) when I just so happened to be in their area. Usually just dinner and drinks, sometimes some shopping. I couldn't make the camping trip they organized last year, but I saw pictures :D

It's been quite fun :) Sometimes I think they're better friends than my real ones. LOL.
Yeah, me too. No surprises for me bringing up tt42 (like vomit) but I get on with her moar betterer than fleshpeoples I know because we have AW as a basis. We both came here as writers and with that as one of our priorities, we're more likely to get on.

'Meeting' someone online gives you the chance to sound each other out without all that 'having to get changed out of your pyjamas and actually leaving the house' nonsense.

So when you do decide to meet, as long as it's "Hey, it'd be fun, let's go out to dinner or whatever," casual, you're all but certain to enjoy yourself.

I've often said to tt42 on MSN that friends in real life tend to be so by default. Proximity.

The friends I have online, or the friendships that began online are genuine, because they originate from truly having something in common, rather than "Oh, you live near me, we have to hang out."

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I found that meeting in Chicago with Bug, Angie, Leukman, Hoo, Ray and Rachel, I was more myself than I had been in a very long time. I could be completely comfortable being myself (geeky writer, ridiculous goofball, etc). I have never felt so much unconditional love (yes. I really felt that) and had so much fun. We had so much in common and the friendships were already so real that meeting in person was a natural extension of that and I was immediately comfortable with each of them. It was an amazing weekend and I miss them terribly. I never have gotten depressed about that kind of thing (meeting and parting) until that trip to Chicago. First time I ever experienced the "internet doesn't feel close enough anymore" thing. After getting them in real life, I so wanted to keep them in real life. Of my friendships, I do consider people I've met here (met in person and still only know through the net) among my best.

Last edited:

R.G. Alexander

Princess Awesomesaucer
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, sure did. I met him via Hot or Not :) It was a silly stupid thing I was doing with some friends. He is a programmer, so had hacked the site, made a program to send out an email to every female in his area, and I happened to respond. We talked via google for a good three months, I went to meet him and stay with him for a few days. I moved in with my 6 month old daughter a week later. (My mom=not happy. I was 19) We got married a year later, had another baby, and moved to this crap ass town. YAY!

Moral of the story, it can turn out pretty damn great.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I dated a girl for 3 years that I met on the internet. I also met a girl who stalked the crap out of me. But then, I met a girl I liked a lot. So I guess it's 2-1 internet.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, a few times, mostly when I was younger. Also met other "moms" through "internet moms groups". I didn't have much luck with the net "moms" groups anymore than I've done well with the in-person variety.

I see no problem with meeting people "from the net" so long as you have reasonably good judgement. If you met them on "the cadaversex forum" you might want to rethink your offer to meet them in the dark alley downtown sometime around 3 a.m. for coffee and a line of coke.

For example, I have a step-SIL who is planning to date someone she met on the internet. This gives everyone within earshot the willies. Why? It's not the "net" it's her poor judgement. Her ex is still running around the wide world claiming to hear the voice of the almighty telling him to kill her and then she picked up someone at a local dive only to find he'd left drugs under the seat of her car after the date (which resulted in threatening calls from the erstwhile date/drug-dealer).

You can meet nice people on the web, and you can meet some real creeps, too. But, this can also be accomplished face-to-face. Judgement, that's the thing.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I also met my best friend online - turned out she actually lived around the corner from me!

And one other very close friend of mine whom I don't see often because she lives a plane ride away.

I think that's it...yeah. My SO was the first guy I met online that I actually met in person.

OH! Ha! I forgot about this guy when I was like...maybe 17. We'd just gotten the internet, and I met him in a chat room. He went to the college I was going to be going to. He came out to meet me, and I brought my little sister who must have been...13. I didn't want to go by myself. We met him at the mall and got Subway and then went to see You Got Mail.

He was hideous. Not just in looks. My sister and I were so humiliated but somehow made it through the movie before pulling the "I gotta go potty" thing and ditching his ass.

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
I'm about to meet a couple of local women from AW for a writing weekend in a cabin. :)

(If I don't get online in February, you know who to blame. Those AW chicks did something terrible to me. ;))