I passed my TEFL certificate - send me somewhere!

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'm now qualified to teach English language and grammar to non-native speakers and I'm so excited. This has opened up pretty much the whole of Europe for me, including Russia (visa permitting), and a good bit of the Far East. I've not had a great time the last few months as anyone who's put up with my constant whining knows, but now next year is going to be amazing.

If anyone's been to a brilliant city or part of Europe I'd love to hear about it. France is my first choice (I wouldn't make enough money to live comfortably in Paris but anywhere else is fair game) but if I went for Prague I could go next month, and there are also jobs in Madrid. I don't speak any Spanish, and slightly less Czech, but I'm willing to learn a new language. And thanks to everyone who's put up with me - now send me away. ;)

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
YAY! :partyguy::partyguy::partyguy:

Congratulations, Fran! :D

I've never left England, barring a couple of day trips in Wales, so no suggestions from me. ;)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Adam. :Hug2:

There won't be much call for me in Wales. :D

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, most of the Welsh are pretty good at English. Badass accents too :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on passing :partyguy:

Bordeaux Region of France
Munich
Zurich
Mallorca

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score

No. No no no. I'm going to get to hell the conventional way, thanks very much. ;)

reg, Bordeaux (the city) has actually come up as a possibility but I've never been. I might have to go on a French city tour to make up my mind. Won't that be a nightmare? :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
reg, Bordeaux (the city) has actually come up as a possibility but I've never been. I might have to go on a French city tour to make up my mind. Won't that be a nightmare? :D

What a bummer. Need someone to carry your stuff? :)

absentnormality

Queen of sensible stupidity
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest Glasgow... but given where you live that might not be appropriate.

I'd say (with my pretending-to-be-sensible hat on) move to somewhere in France first, get used to teaching in a country where you can at least moan to the locals about the little horrors. Then try moving somewhere else where you'll be living in the ex-pat bubble but will at least know what your doing work wise.
Someone once told my that life is full of challenges, the trick is picking the ones you want to face at any given moment. Do you want to be learning how to teach and learning a new language at the same time?

Besides, you love France and it's where hotrichfrenchman stays.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Teaching English to Glasweigans? :eek: That's WAY beyond my capabilites! ;)

Thanks, An. I'm excited by trying not to jump in to anything. I'm best waiting for the right job to come up but the opportunites I have now are amazing!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!! Prague is wonderful. The people are wonderful. Just an absolutely amazing city, and the food is great. Also České Budějovice, which is much cheaper and more of a small town.

Budapest is amazing, and Hungarians are special people. The food gets a little heavy after a while ;) I also have to throw in Baja, hungary, where I mostly lived (Budapest apartment on the weekends), but I have to admit it's very small :) The most wonderful people, a lot from the former Yugoslavia.

Of course France is incredible :) French people have a special something. I like the Loire and small towns in the south best. Paris and Parisians are... well it's just Paris (Ah! Paris!)! I could totally live there. It's a bit more edgy, in the coolest way, but many folks would find it unfriendly (usually Americans).

There are a few places that I would steer clear of, but it would be rude to mention them. I'll keep track of your posts and PM you if that comes up!

Good Luck!!! You're going to have an amazing time :D

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Ok, to be a little serious for once...

Firstly, congratulations on your achievement - looks like it's going to open up some interesting times for you.
On which note - now I want to have a go! ;)
How difficult is it to do this? And how expensive? Do you need any non-English language skills? I mean, how can you teach English to people without speaking their language?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
How difficult is it to do this? And how expensive? Do you need any non-English language skills? I mean, how can you teach English to people without speaking their language?

If I go through the organisation I qualified with (TEFL Scotland) they help me find accommodation, but I need first month's deposit for a flat and my airfare, which I've got.

It says on the website I don't need to speak the language of the country I'm going to work in, but I would learn it. I take An's point, though, about not necessarily having the time or energy. Since I already speak French pretty well, France is the obvious choice. You're not supposed to speak the students' native language even if you can - it's supposed to be a 'total immersion' experience, but I think that'd be pretty terrifying for most students, and I agree it's difficult. Teaching stuff like 'What's your name?' and all that's pretty straightforward, but explaining English grammar in English... I don't know. I'd certainly get a lot more private tuition work in France simply by virtue of speaking French because it means I can explain things, and having private tuition work means I could make really good money.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
big time congrats, fran!!
have you considered new jersey?

:roll:

:thankyou: :thankyou:

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
have you considered new jersey?

Only when America changes the rules to let people like me in. I'd need a lot more than a TEFL certificate - $1million and a sham marriage at the very least. :D

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
fran, the bugger is that all of that stuff can be optained in new jersey! :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Madrid is really awesome, and my experience in Spain was that most people are very willing to be patient and/or speak english to someone who is making a decent effort to speak spanish.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, thank you, Kitty. I saw a Spanish course in a bookshop the other day that looked really good. I have a much better base to learn Spanish than I do to learn Czech! I found when I went to Lille a lot of people wanted to practise their English, so I ended up having several bilingual conversations! It's a great way to learn.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Congratulations!
If it were me, I'd choose Spain, Portugal, Italy or Greece, but that's because I'm a Southerner myself! I've "done" France - Paris - and it was certainly exciting, but if you can't be in Paris I don't think anywhere else in France really measures up.

There are some beautiful cities in Germany and Austria but you need a certain stamina to take the German/Austrian mentality, and besides, they all speak excellent English. Apart from the obvious places such as Munich, Berlin, Vienna there are delightful smaller cities such as Freiburg, Heidelberg, Bamberg, Salzburg. I do have an English friend in Germany who runs a language school though so if you're interested...
The Netherlands would be high on my list, and, of course, Prague, Prague, Prague! In my case that's saying something because I am badly prejudiced against East Europe but I've only heard wonderful things about Prague

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! That's absolutely awesome. :D I can't speak for Europe, but Japan is nice haha. ;)

Deleted member 42

Congrats indeed; good for you Fran.

May all your grading be light and speedy, and all your students be wonderful.