Not open for further replies.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Okay, conference is over, and people should be slowly dragging themselves home today. If you went to Reno, please give us a report. Any good workshops/speakers? Any fun moments? Any embarassing moments? Did you pitch to an editor or agent? Let us know how it was!

Susan G.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Wish I Could Have Gone

I didn't get the chance to go this year. *Work prohibits* I would thoroughly enjoy hearing everyone's experiences though. With any luck, I'll be able to go next year and perhaps something fun to contribute. :tongue

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
This was my first RWA convention and it was...interesting. HUGE. I prefer the smaller, regional conferences. The food was very good - which surprised me as I've attended a LOT of conferences for business and it usually sucks.

It was pretty well organized and most of the workshops I attended were good. The two hour one Saturday on writing synopses was excellent. If I was in a seminar I didn't like, I just left - quietly. The blackout during Debbie Macomber's speech was fun!

All in all, I met a lot of nice women, ate too much, learned a bit, but probably would never go again.

Carlene

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Carlene said:
All in all, I met a lot of nice women, ate too much, learned a bit, but probably would never go again.

Carlene

Really? Wow. I don't know if I've heard anyone say that about National before. :)

Still, I'm glad you found it to be worth-while, though.

Susan G.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I hear the awards were quite the fiasco.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Following hot on the heels of 'one man, one woman' definiton of romance and an erotic romance chapter that can't use 'erotic' in it's name. Well, RWA is now officially much more uptight than Harlequin who are starting a new line even more hot than Blaze.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Oh man. I read about what happened at the awards ceremony. *cringes* Hopefully this was a well learned lesson for the future.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Yes, a definate disaster that makes you wonder. I mean, a 25 year look back at romance was def. in order, but I don't know that a look back at the bad points in history was a very romance-oriented thing.

I'm shaking my head.

Just remember that even as Nora Roberts said, this is not nec. a reflection on RWA, the organization. There were people who made these decisions. So please don't let this color your opinion of the organization as a whole. Like any other organization, we go through good times and not-so-good time. And if you want things to change, you need to get involved in the organization and take the time to express your opinions to the Board members.

Susan G. - who wants to hear GOOD things from people who attended, too, not just the lousy things. <G> (I'm an optimist, can't help it. <G>)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Susan Gable said:
...*snip*Susan G. - who wants to hear GOOD things from people who attended, too, not just the lousy things. <G> (I'm an optimist, can't help it. <G>)

Sorry to go a bit OT: Susan, isn't optimism is a very good quality for a Romance author -- if you don't believe in Happily Ever After's how will you make those endings believable to your readers? :)

I hope someone does come back with some good reports!

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Dawno said:
Sorry to go a bit OT: Susan, isn't optimism is a very good quality for a Romance author -- if you don't believe in Happily Ever After's how will you make those endings believable to your readers? :)

Absolutely! I really do think that optimism is part of the romance writer's basic personality, because you're right, we do have to provide those HEA. :)

And you need it to keep going in this business, too. This biz can be very discouraging, so you need to keep the faith somehow.

Susan G.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
veinglory said:
Following hot on the heels of 'one man, one woman' definiton of romance and an erotic romance chapter that can't use 'erotic' in it's name. Well, RWA is now officially much more uptight than Harlequin who are starting a new line even more hot than Blaze.
I made my statement by buying a Nora Roberts book last night, although I have just buying her off and on lately (mostly off). I know other fans who have said they are going to make similar statements. And of course, as today is Wednesday, I'll check out the new e-books at Ellora's Cave. :D

P.S. Oooh, gay cowboys?! Why oh why did I have to leave my ebook reader at my parents' house?!
:cry:

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
I, too, am an optimist. I like to believe the best in everything until I'm provided with undisputable proof that I'm wrong. It goes for everything in my life. Not just in my writing--though I do love that happily ever after. *Sigh* Always after that silver lining I suppose...

Status
Not open for further replies.