View Full Version : 10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

Cyia
12-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Complete with visual aids.

:D

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

Regan Leigh
12-30-2009, 03:44 AM
I heart theoatmeal. :D Love their stuff.

blacbird
12-30-2009, 03:54 AM
They missed, most prominently:

to too two
sight site cite
right write rite

I see these confabulated all the time.

caw

Smish
12-30-2009, 03:58 AM
If you put an A in "definitely," then you're definitely an A-hole.

Hehe. I have a colleague who always makes that mistake. I'm forwarding this to him. :D

mscelina
12-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Aha. A mass emailing just went out to the writers in my stable. May not help, but at least I'll get a giggle out of it.

Wayne K
12-30-2009, 04:13 AM
I'm good with those. My big one is Sentence. I spell it wrong a lot.

kaitie
12-30-2009, 06:36 AM
I tend to spell "tomorrow" wrong. Always have to stop and check it again. Weird, huh? Though to my credit I got it right just now. ;) I'm generally a pretty good speller, though I like the "effect/affect" thing. I screw that up all the time.

Matera the Mad
12-30-2009, 06:54 AM
Long ago, I used to spell weird wrong, how's that for weird?

Gretad08
12-30-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a friend that spells probably "probly" and supposedly "supposingly". I've never had the heart to correct her.

bettielee
12-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Definately is the only word I have a problem with on that list.

The others, I got no problem with.

now cieling - I will never spell that right. I've just given up.

bettielee
12-30-2009, 08:01 AM
I have a friend that spells probably "probly" and supposedly "supposingly". I've never had the heart to correct her.

what about "supposably"

that drives me as crazy as nukular.

backslashbaby
12-30-2009, 08:07 AM
:D

Definitely does get me. Very cool! Now there are only at least 100 other common words that I'll screw up...

mario_c
12-30-2009, 08:24 AM
Confusion regarding [their/there/they're] is rampant. It's a big blinking neon indicator of someone who has used spellcheck too long and has forgotten how to, you know, spell. If, in fact, they knew how to in the first place. Don't get me started about similar words from, oh, my fifth grade vocab classes.
And I like the "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" gag at the end. That was fun, thanks! I hope that doesn't mean I'm a grammar snob...?

benbradley
12-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Here's a cute response, already pre-written:
http://xkcd.com/326/

charlotte49ers
12-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I always spell counselor wrong. I want to put a 'c' instead of the 's'. I just can't keep that one in my head!

Thankfully, I'm pretty good with all of the offenders on that poster. :)

Izz
12-30-2009, 08:50 AM
I just finished reading a book review where 'equality' was used instead of 'equally' and 'quiet' instead of 'quite.'

Unfortunately, i heave a hard time taking book reviews serially when they do stuff liek that.

blacbird
12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Confusion regarding [their/there/they're] is rampant. It's a big blinking neon indicator of someone who has used spellcheck too long and has forgotten how to, you know, LIKE, spell.

Corrected it for ya.

caw

blacbird
12-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm a really really really good speller (the OCD helps), but only a year ago or so I discovered I had consistently, with admirable consistency, misspelled "refrigerator" as "refridgerator". I am so damn mortified and ashamed.

caw

Izz
12-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Yesterday i discovered i had no idea how to spell bureaucrat. For some reason i want it to be beauracrat.

And i still apostrophize its when it's possessive from time to time.

charlotte49ers
12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm a really really really good speller (the OCD helps), but only a year ago or so I discovered I had consistently, with admirable consistency, misspelled "refrigerator" as "refridgerator". I am so damn mortified and ashamed.

caw

I do that, too. You aren't alone. ;)

kaitie
12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a hard time with "exercise." Well, got it right just now, but I get it wrong about half the time. Something about that "c" in there always throws me off. I've also been guilty of refrigerator. What about "judging?" Actually, here's a good one: lightning vs. lightening. For some reason I like to throw the extra "e" in there, and spell check won't catch that one lol. ;)

Oh, funny semi-embarrassing story. All the way through high school I thought business was spelled buisness. No idea why. Well, one day I came across it spelled correctly in a textbook and being the smartass 17 year old I was, had to mention it. Needless to say I was pretty darned embarrassed when I realized the book was actually right and I had been wrong all that time. Serves me right for being a smartass, I suppose. ;)

Bluegate
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm good with those. My big one is Sentence. I spell it wrong a lot.

Ah, a kindred soul.

But really, only ten?:D

charlotte49ers
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
kaitie, don't feel bad. I had a recipe shower when I got married and I realized AFTER I'd mailed all the cards that I said, "Thank you for the recipie," on every.single.one.

Izz
12-30-2009, 09:21 AM
mmm...recipie...my favorite.

kaitie
12-30-2009, 09:22 AM
kaitie, don't feel bad. I had a recipe shower when I got married and I realized AFTER I'd mailed all the cards that I said, "Thank you for the recipie," on every.single.one.

Ouch!

What on earth is a recipe shower? I've never heard of that before.

charlotte49ers
12-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Instead of gifts, people bring you a favorite recipe. Sometimes, they put together a basket with the dry goods to make it. It was pretty cool! It's nice because it gives you a chance to celebrate w/o people feeling like they have to buy you a bunch of stuff. :)

blacbird
12-30-2009, 10:06 AM
Yesterday i discovered i had no idea how to spell bureaucrat. For some reason i want it to be beauracrat.

Dat be dem cajun spelling, I garontee.

queaux

kaitie
12-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Instead of gifts, people bring you a favorite recipe. Sometimes, they put together a basket with the dry goods to make it. It was pretty cool! It's nice because it gives you a chance to celebrate w/o people feeling like they have to buy you a bunch of stuff. :)

That's a really cool idea. :)

blacbird is making me want to watch X-men...boy am I weird haha.

Tedium
12-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Holy god, that is my new most favoritist website in the world.

Tiz_Mee
12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
I once held up my hand for the span of 10 minutes just to ask my third grade teacher how to spell "of".

I was 25 until I learned that I'd been spelling Wednesday wrong. Thank you vacuum salesman.

And I can't spell resteraunt, and I'm pretty sure i still can't.

swvaughn
12-30-2009, 05:48 PM

caw

I'd blame whoever decided to stick a 'd' in fridge, when there is no 'd' in refrigerator. Which looks like it should be pronounced re-frigger-ator.

Gonna go put my milk back in the frig. :D

Matera the Mad
12-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Holy god, that is my new most favoritist website in the world.

I forget how many people I sent links to last night. And it saves me a lot of space in my sig.

The Twilight (http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight) page is excruciatingly :ROFL:

Gregg
12-31-2009, 06:58 AM
Ain't it red....ridic...stupid that I have trouble with this ridicl..redicl...reduc...ridiculous word? or is it ridiculus?
HELP!!!!!!!!

benbradley
12-31-2009, 07:03 AM
Jest spelll it freneticlly. Redeeklus.

Gregg
12-31-2009, 07:25 AM
I've got it!

Reedickyoulus.

XxDethmetalxX
12-31-2009, 09:48 AM
For some reason I always want to add an extra h when spelling "alcohol" (alchohol).

I peer edited a paper (as a High School Sophomore, mind you) with brilliant mistakes such as "The trane was fast" and "He lurked at hur i's."

aruna
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
My big one is privilege. I tend to stick a d in there. Oh, Portuguese. I like adding an i to that one.

Midnight Star
01-01-2010, 05:35 PM
I always spell Cincinnati wrong when I'm not paying attention. An then there's Massachussets (I don't even think THAT is spelled right), neighborhood and address.
I spell all of them wrong over and over again.