10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you put an A in "definitely," then you're definitely an A-hole.

Hehe. I have a colleague who always makes that mistake. I'm forwarding this to him. :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm good with those. My big one is Sentence. I spell it wrong a lot.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to spell "tomorrow" wrong. Always have to stop and check it again. Weird, huh? Though to my credit I got it right just now. ;) I'm generally a pretty good speller, though I like the "effect/affect" thing. I screw that up all the time.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend that spells probably "probly" and supposedly "supposingly". I've never had the heart to correct her.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:D

Definitely does get me. Very cool! Now there are only at least 100 other common words that I'll screw up...

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Confusion regarding [their/there/they're] is rampant. It's a big blinking neon indicator of someone who has used spellcheck too long and has forgotten how to, you know, spell. If, in fact, they knew how to in the first place. Don't get me started about similar words from, oh, my fifth grade vocab classes.
And I like the "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" gag at the end. That was fun, thanks! I hope that doesn't mean I'm a grammar snob...?

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I always spell counselor wrong. I want to put a 'c' instead of the 's'. I just can't keep that one in my head!

Thankfully, I'm pretty good with all of the offenders on that poster. :)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I just finished reading a book review where 'equality' was used instead of 'equally' and 'quiet' instead of 'quite.'

Unfortunately, i heave a hard time taking book reviews serially when they do stuff liek that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a really really really good speller (the OCD helps), but only a year ago or so I discovered I had consistently, with admirable consistency, misspelled "refrigerator" as "refridgerator". I am so damn mortified and ashamed.

caw

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Yesterday i discovered i had no idea how to spell bureaucrat. For some reason i want it to be beauracrat.

And i still apostrophize its when it's possessive from time to time.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a really really really good speller (the OCD helps), but only a year ago or so I discovered I had consistently, with admirable consistency, misspelled "refrigerator" as "refridgerator". I am so damn mortified and ashamed.

caw

I do that, too. You aren't alone. ;)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time with "exercise." Well, got it right just now, but I get it wrong about half the time. Something about that "c" in there always throws me off. I've also been guilty of refrigerator. What about "judging?" Actually, here's a good one: lightning vs. lightening. For some reason I like to throw the extra "e" in there, and spell check won't catch that one lol. ;)

Oh, funny semi-embarrassing story. All the way through high school I thought business was spelled buisness. No idea why. Well, one day I came across it spelled correctly in a textbook and being the smartass 17 year old I was, had to mention it. Needless to say I was pretty darned embarrassed when I realized the book was actually right and I had been wrong all that time. Serves me right for being a smartass, I suppose. ;)

Last edited:

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
kaitie, don't feel bad. I had a recipe shower when I got married and I realized AFTER I'd mailed all the cards that I said, "Thank you for the recipie," on every.single.one.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
kaitie, don't feel bad. I had a recipe shower when I got married and I realized AFTER I'd mailed all the cards that I said, "Thank you for the recipie," on every.single.one.

Ouch!

What on earth is a recipe shower? I've never heard of that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.