FYI to AW Parents: PIXOS are new name of AQUA DOTS

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to mention this. After my eldest got hurt on one of the Xmas gifts, I decided to do some looking around to double check on the toys they got for the holidays.

The tent/tube didn't come up as a recall, but I did find out that the Pixo's my middle guy had been asking for are a rebranding of Aqua Dots which were recalled earlier due to the adhesive turning into the "date rape drug" when ingested causing coma or other injury.

We haven't opened them, so we're taking them back to the store. My kindy wouldn't eat them, but with a 2 year old and two dogs in the house... I'd rather not see any of them slip into a coma over the Xmas presents. I kind of figure it would be just our luck after the stitches. Yeesh! :rolleyes:

It is possible the formula has changed since the name change, but I don't trust the luck with the age of my littlest n' whatnot. If I had known I would have made the informed decision not to purchase the item--to err on the side of caution.

We haven't had toy injuries or trouble with recalled toys in the past (other than some lead tained Cars stuff a while back). I know everything has certain amount of risk to it, but I just wanted to toss that info out there in case anyone else was clueless to the name change like moi.

http://consumerist.com/2008/07/aqua...aced-toys-are-back-with-a-new-name-pixos.html

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
AquaDots were taken off the shelves and were gone for a while. They say they reworked the formula and the dots are safe if ingested. They renamed the product because they invested a lot in making the toy and it is still a good seller.

I don't know for certain if the product is safe to ingest. I do know I would really have hated to be the poor $5 a week slob that management picked to be the "tester" for whether or not Pixos were safe when ingested.

If you go to the Consumer Product Safety Commission site there is nothing on Pixos but a whole lot on Aqua Dots.

Another link

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can see it now...prices for original AquaDots go through the roof at eBay in response to intense bidding from Frat houses across the country.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I can see it now...prices for original AquaDots go through the roof at eBay in response to intense bidding from Frat houses across the country.

So true...*sigh*

I have to say though, with my daughter still randomly having "put her mouth on everything days" there's no way I'd want anything remotely resembling a toxic recalled toy in my house. Just sayin'.