Submission Query Letters: HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there's some simple format you use when submitting a story (as in, same general letter but you change the editors name and mag name when sending to different places), or do you write a new query letter for each submission?

Just wondering because if I'm sending a short story out to a ga-zillion different places, an individual letter for each would be using up time that I'd rather do on other things like writing a new story.

Thanks for any advice! :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
When submitting entire mss. for short story (and provided that the editor wants that), a cover letter should be short, sweet, and to the point. After all, you are including the story and that in itself should hook the editor within the first paragraph.

So, the cover letter (a query is when you aren't submitting the mss.) should be one paragraph about the story--working title, # of words, one sentence about it, and that you're submitting it to (whatever) for possible publication.

Your bio and any pubbing credits (brief), or skip if none.

SASE included, thank you for your time, etc.

Best regards,

Hope this helps!

Greer

Registered
Reaction score
Good advice -- will add a couple things. One, the "one sentence about the story" is optional. Frequently this devolves into a re-telling of the plot, a sales pitch, or a history of where the story came from. Not a good idea. Just word count and title is enough (for me, at least). The story, as stormie said, should sell itself. Two, only list relevant publishing credits. That is, fiction in literary journals/magazines or books published by legitimate houses. Nobody cares if you edit the office newsletter or write local sports for the community paper. Three, keep the bio brief and pertinent, if anything. Writing programs, fellowships, conferences, writing awards, etc. No tales of how you came to writing or how your family loves your work. Finally, it's okay to use the same general format for cover letters, but for the love of Raymond Carver please make an effort to at least change the editor's name on the letterhead. I can't tell you how many subs I've read addressed to an editor for an entirely different journal than the one I work for.

Good luck!

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:
Hi everyone! I was wondering if there's some simple format you use when submitting a story (as in, same general letter but you change the editors name and mag name when sending to different places), or do you write a new query letter for each submission?

Just wondering because if I'm sending a short story out to a ga-zillion different places, an individual letter for each would be using up time that I'd rather do on other things like writing a new story.

You really SHOULD NOT be sending out your story to a ga-zillion different places, at least not simultaneously. Better to target it to publications where it actually fits. The scattershot approach usually just garners a large number of rejections.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Tish! I'll keep that in mind. I usually am picky on who I send my stuff out to and make sure it's worthwhile. But I find that if I hit a number like 10 or 15 submissions, the whole query process gets tiresome and repetitive. Also around the same time, I start considering that the story probably isn't as ready as I thought and start relooking at it.

AprilBoo

Good to be back
Registered
Reaction score
Maddwriter said:

Almost all of my cover letters sound the same:

Dear xxxx,

Enclosed you will find the short story "_______________." Please consider it for publication in _________________.

Thank you for your time.

One thing - make sure you check the submission guidelines! Many pubs require that you put "Fiction" or a section name in your cover letter when you submit.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, April. That's the type of format I was considering doing and just filling in the blanks. I wasn't sure if it was proper etiquette or not.

michaeloppen

Registered
Reaction score
In all legitimate magazines, someone - even if a low underling - reads whatever you submit. If they like it, it may or may not be published. If they don't, it won't. A letter won't make any difference. I stopped submitting letters with my stories years ago.

Greer

Registered
Reaction score
michaeloppen said:
In all legitimate magazines, someone - even if a low underling - reads whatever you submit. If they like it, it may or may not be published. If they don't, it won't. A letter won't make any difference. I stopped submitting letters with my stories years ago.

However, if you have something to put on a cover letter -- publishing credits, for example -- it can make a reader more liable to be more patient with your story.

And if the magazine requires it in the submission guidelines, you should have a cover letter. Basic professionalism. A submission without a cover letter to a journal that requests one (and receives a thousand or more subs a month) is going to cause the reader/editor to be mighty impatient with your manuscript.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
You only need a cover letter if the guidelines ask
for one. Personally, I rarely bother with them.
Previous credits are barely worth the waste of
paper, IMO.

The main purpose of a cover letter is so the editor
will have a sheet of paper with your contact info
on it that can be conveniently dropped into a file
folder. That's all it's for, so don't give it too much
thought.

:Sun:

Greer

Registered
Reaction score
HConn said:
You only need a cover letter if the guidelines ask
for one. Personally, I rarely bother with them.
Previous credits are barely worth the waste of
paper, IMO.

This may be your opinion, but it has not been my experience working for several distinguished journals. Having no credits won't hurt you, but having solid credits will, as i've said before, make a reader more patient with your manuscript. Of course, if the manuscript stinks, previous credits won't do you much good.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
I don't publish in distinguished journals. I publish
in genre magazines. No one in that world cares
where else you've been published. All that matters
is the story.

Maybe they would read your story first. Maybe.
But that's it, IME.

I'm happy to agree to disagree here.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
But what if...

Hi all -

Given the above comments, I was wondering what you would recommend if the submission guidelines say specifically "prefer a cover letter listing previous publications and awards" if I don't have any to list? Do I still need to send one?

FYI, this publication would fall into the "distinguished journal" category.

Thanks in advance for the help! This is my first posting - it's good to be here!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Welcome to the AW boards, Chartreuse! Everyone has an opinion on this, mine is to submit a cover letter. Short and to the point, just as a courtesy. See my previous posting on July 31. You can also put the flap of your SASE over the cover letter so it doesn't get lost in the main envelope. (Make sure your SASE is self-sticking with the tape still on or you'll have one unhappy editor.)

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
michaeloppen said:

I totally disagree. A letter is common courtesy. Plus, most mags take online subs now. A couple of lines in the email beats a blank mail with an attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.