The Great Chihuahua Airlift

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
Feed them to proper dogs. There you go, kennel over-crowding and under-resourced sorted in one fell swoop.

(I kid! I kid!)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Does Haggis know about this? Hope he doesn't mind being forcibly moved. :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this comes across as funny. But it really is criminal that backyard breeders breed these animals indiscriminately without any care for the animals. All they are looking at is the money and then you have the f****** stupid people who run out and buy one because they want a fashion accessory.

A chihuahua is not a fashion accessory. It is a living breathing animal that could very well live for 15-20 and will need constant care that entire time. It is not something to be carried around for a month or two and then thrown away.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
We have a similar problem here but with Staffordshire Bull terriers. The UK government just banned tail docking, so dogbreeders overbred Staffies so people could get them before the ban came in. Now a lot of them are homeless and are unlikely to find homes. There's been a lot of bad press about them because if they're not trained properly they can be vicious, so many people with young children are reluctant to take them. It's sad.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I agree. The past ten years I've only adopted pets.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i run a backyard quill pig mill.
is that wrong?

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
he got a hold of one about six months ago. it wasn't pretty. poor thing ended up with a black eye and loose tooth.

anyway, they're in cages now so no worries,...
my kids that is. not the the quill pigs. that would be inhumane.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I loathe tail-docking, I see no point to it. Even though my half-rott can clear a coffee-table with one good wag.

I hate it too, and even before the ban came in there were a fair number of vets refusing to do it, if not the majority. The BBC refused to screen Crufts this year because the Kennel Club continue to endorse tail docking by making it part of breed attributes/requirements. I just hope the ban doesn't lead to an increase in owners doing it themselves, which was already a problem due to the vets' reluctance.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
We have a similar problem here but with Staffordshire Bull terriers. The UK government just banned tail docking, so dogbreeders overbred Staffies so people could get them before the ban came in. Now a lot of them are homeless and are unlikely to find homes. There's been a lot of bad press about them because if they're not trained properly they can be vicious, so many people with young children are reluctant to take them. It's sad.

That's sad because mine (at least I think he's part staffie) is the best with kids even though he came from an abused home. The baby whacks him as she 'pets' him and he just laps it up, he loves the kids so. Good dogs, but very hard headed and very easily fixated, as most terriers are.

I love taking in shelter dogs or near homeless beasties. I have a soft spot for them.

Ellefire

Citizen Of Planet Random
Registered
Reaction score
My sister had two staffies, both good with kids (although she never left them alone together), not so good with each other. Neither had their tails docked, although one had a half docking due to a strong gust of wind and a slamming door. Ouch! Poor Buster.

That dog was mental, he ended up with no teeth due to his brick-chewing habit and half a tail due to the tail slamming incident.