Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone played/playing this? :)
Any experiences to share?

Got it as a gift for Christmas from a very good friend of mine, he encouraged me to play it, and I must say I'm pretty impressed.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
It's shocking how difficult maintaining a proper firing line can be when marching over even a small hill.

Also, don't position your cannons behind your own troops. It's.... messy.

Eddyz Aquila

Noob Writers United
Registered
Reaction score
I find it to be the most complete TW game to day. Complete as in covering the most aspects of properly managing an empire...

Complete doesn't mean good though.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
If your enemy surrounds you with a network of alliances, don't declare war on one of them, they will all then declare war on you. However, if you declare war on one of their protectorates, only the nation that is directly protecting that country will declare war on you.

This is important advice for a country like Prussia, for example.

Also, the computer is dumb about a few things. Like when they post soldiers in a building, they will not order the soldiers out if you start to knock down the building with cannons.

Beware of galleys. For some reason they have incredibly powerful cannons mounted on their fronts. They are almost unreal in their power. Historically, galleys were no match for sailing vessels of the time. They wouldn't even have any luck ramming them. The frail galleys had more to worry about being rammed by the sturdy sailing vessel. I believe there's a famous painting that shows a dutch Fluyt totally crushing a pirate galley.

In naval battles, remember the classic naval tactics of sailing in a line, and attempt to cross the T of your opponent's line. Also, do not let small vessels like brigs and sloops and such get close to your big ships of the line: A single broadside from the big ship can cause the little ship to blow up, and set your big ship on fire.

You can occupy the trade spots with non trading ships to keep others from using them. If you have trade ships in more than one trade spot of a single theater, you will not get more goods from them. However, stacking multiple trade ships in one spot will increase your goods.

The Persian Navy is entirely made up of trade ships. Persia is also a violent country that will declare war on you if you are within the same time zone. This is a good way to capture a bunch of trade ships.

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
If you're an american player, whore the shit out of your riflemen. They're some of the better units in the game, especially if you play multiplayer, because of their ability to "sneak" and due to their ridiculously long range

The other thing to utilize, again with multiplayer since the AI is pretty stupid, are militia meat shields. Keeping them around just to bog down cavalry charges makes them very useful, plus they can fight half way decently in melee(although they're about as useless as tits on a bull in a stand up fire fight against line infantry).

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Persia is also a violent country that will declare war on you if you are within the same time zone.

Some things never change.

/snicker

I found that the AI under-utilized cavalry in my games. Tons of rifles, tons of cannons, not much in the way of horses. Also, the AI doesn't seem to protect its cannons very well, especially in a defensive battle where it has entrenched. It was shockingly easy to draw off their footmen with cavalry and then loop back in to hack the guns to bits. Or rather their crews... metal guns don't 'hack up' quite so well as the meaty critters crewing them.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
/cast necromancy

Just a quickie. My mate came round today, haven't seen him in ages. Too much work. Then he gets out his camera and shows me 'what I was doing at the weekend'. Oh look, he's on a train. Oh, that's a nice hotel. Oh a big dinner thingy. Chris in a tux? Blimey.

Chris, dude, you're at the BAFTAs!

DUDE YOU ARE HOLDING A BLOODY BAFTA!!!

Empire won a BAFTA for best strategy game. Go Chris!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, like the British Oscars with some Emmy thrown in. For some reason I thought it also included theater, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.