PDA

View Full Version : What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you?

bclement412
12-28-2009, 03:10 AM
For me, it happened while I had a concussion. I had to stay home from school, and I spent the whole day on our couch, because if I stood up I'd get really dizzy. I hardly ever moved. Then one day, I wake up, and my toe is purple and swollen and I can't walk on it. I get an xray. It was broken. I broke my toe by sitting on the couch! It was ridiculous. I didn't stub it, fall over--- nothing. It just broke by itself.

So do you guys have any strange stories of weird things that have happened to you??

L.J.
12-28-2009, 03:15 AM
That's pretty weird, bclement, lol.

Some young woman came by my house trying to sell me homeschooling materials one afternoon. While she was in the middle of her spiel, she suddenly looked at her cell phone, excused herself for a moment, turned a cartwheel, then carried on with her sales pitch. I still haven't figured that one out.

Drice
12-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Those were weird, indeed.

When my wife and I moved into our first house - a real fixer-upper - we tried to make it look better by placing plants in macrame hangers. One of those was beside our cozy couch. One evening we were all cuddled up watching TV and the damn hanger to our left started to shake violently. We sat there not knowing whether to be terrified or amused.
The plant continued to shake until I got up and reached for it.
To this day and that was about 35 years ago, we don't really know what caused all that shimmy-she-wobble, but it may have been our neighbours.
One night we were in asleep in our bedroom when we were awakened by the loud shaking and rattling of our newly installed floor-to-ceiling mirrored sliding doors. I got up and put my hands on the doors and the rattling stopped but a noise was still coming from the back of the house.
We carefully made our way to the back bedroom. Upon arriving it was clear what was going on. My wife and I just looked at each other and burst into laughter.
Our neighbours were going at it like gang busters and we could hear the musical bouncing of bedroom furniture and the vocal accompaniment.
Our houses were victorian semi-detached homes joined in the middle by an uninsulated wall.

Mr Flibble
12-28-2009, 03:45 AM
I was watching a horror flick one day. Can't remember which one, but there was buckets of blood. My eye got itchy so I rubbed it and it seemed to be watering, but it didn't hurt, just itched. Then my flatmate looks at me and starts squealing. I had blood absolutely pissing out of my eye. That was pretty freaky.

It stopped on its own after a while and the doc never did find out what caused it.

Matera the Mad
12-28-2009, 04:01 AM
I absent-mindedly grabbed the handle of the wrong door. Opening it, I stared down a long stairway. Whoa. I shut the door. Wait a minute...this building doesn't have a lower level...I opened it again. It was just the janitor's closet, as it had always been. Um...whatever...I opened the door next to it, which was, as it should have been, the door to the bathroom.

Wayne K
12-28-2009, 04:14 AM
Dude, I'm stumped. Weirdest? I'll need to check the list.

Wayne K
12-28-2009, 04:16 AM
Running through the woods a branch hit me in the face. A thorn went into my eye. I don't know how, but it missed everything and came right out. It was a good inch long.

brainstorm77
12-28-2009, 04:17 AM
My house is haunted and couple of months back I awoke with a hand print on my chest. It was a reddened hand print that went away in a couple of hours. It was bigger then my hand.

KellyAssauer
12-28-2009, 04:35 AM
This Christmas Eve, at a friend's home (It's a sort of refuge gathering spot every year for us non Christmas types), we're sitting around laughing and gabbing and three of us are sitting on the steps that lead down into their cavernous sunken living room. We're sitting inbetween the bar and this huge aquarium when in the briefest lull of conversation there's this loud swack noise - the kind you might make if you drop your largest cast-iron skillet on a wooden table - and as we all look at each other wondering wtf? that's when a foot long black-and-white tropical fish lands in the lap of the girl next to me...

-that was the weirdest thing this month (so far).

rhymegirl
12-28-2009, 06:41 AM
I was holding a small photo tightly between my hands and it just disappeared. I've never found it again.

archerjoe
12-28-2009, 06:45 AM
A week ago after the kids were in bed, I glanced up into the hallway thinking one of the kids was up and walking to the bathroom. I saw a child in a white nightgown. I looked back at my book and then then realized the kids were not wearing white. I looked up again and no one was there.

Sirion
12-28-2009, 06:55 AM
I once woke up to find an entire CHAPTER of an old WIP completed. And beautifully, at that. It's never happened since.

I suspect shoe-gnomes.

maxmordon
12-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I got shot in the leg. Lost bullet, went through my leg. Couldn't walk for a month.

Wayne K
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
My wife and I took a picture of an abandoned mental institution that is supposedly haunted. When we look at the pic, there is clearly someone in one of the windows, but we're the only ones who can see it.

dgrintalis
12-28-2009, 11:00 AM
When I was 19, one of my good friends was killed. The day after I found out, I discovered my favorite lipstick was missing. Kathy, my friend, used to borrow it all the time. I searched everywhere, even pulled the lining out of my purse because I'd used the lipstick the night before and knew I'd put it back in (and I only had one purse). About a week later, I reached in my purse, and lo and behold, the lipstick was back.

backslashbaby
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
I love the supernatural ones :) I have those.

The truly weirdest thing ever was being chased by a man with a machete down the street, under foggy streetlights, trying to comprehend that it was real and not a horror movie. Absolutely surreal.

Surreal as it was, it was just a crazy dude who got really angry at us [long story] and decided to chop us to pieces. Too simple in this world, unfortunately. Still, you never expect to be one of the kids!

bettielee
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I walked into a dark figure in the hallway. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles and bet you the last dime I would ever have that it was my roommate. I threw up my hands, thinking we were about to crash into each other, but then, suddenly, there was nobody there.

Scared and shocked me so bad I almost fainted.

I am NOT a fainter.

DWSTXS
12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
1972 - Dallas, Tx - This was during the the summer. I was in my teens.

3 a.m. and I'm on my way home after work. I'd been out with a friend, smoking, getting high. It's drizzly and foggy.
I get pulled over by a police cruiser with 4 cops inside. One keys his mic and tells me to step back to his car. I step back there, and I'm instantly nervous, but I knew I was okay because I wasn't holding any weed, because we'd just smoked it all.

I am standing there, in the drizzling wet night, nervous, as he calls in my driver's license. Meanwhile, the cop in the back seat is leaning down and looking up at me through his window, he's giving dirty looks to the long-haired hippie kid that I am.

Nervous at how long it's taking, I reach into my shirt pocket and pull out my crumpled pack of Kool menthols, pull one out, and flick my lighter and light it up. As I'm inhaling, I can see, by the flame from the lighter, that I've pulled out a joint that I didn't know I had and I'm lighting it up!

The cop in the back seat, well, his eyes get big and his mouth drops open, and he starts tapping the driver-cop on the shoulder, saying hey check this out (or something like that)
Horrified, I drop the joint to the wet pavement and use my sneaker to rub it out. Suddenly, the police radio begins squawking loudly and all four cops tense up and look excited. The driver-cop looks at me, looks down at the ground-out joint. He tosses my drivers license out the window onto the wet ground, says "go home! If we see you out again tonight, you're going to jail!' then he throws it into drive and peels out, fishtailing, sirens blasting, and they speed off to whatever the call was about.

I consider myself very lucky indeed.

LOL

Silver King
12-29-2009, 06:42 AM
This isn't the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me, but it was strange nonetheless.

I was shooting pool with a friend in a bar when a guy walked in and called for the next game. He slapped some quarters on the table and took a seat nearby. As we continued to play, the man loudly shared his opinion of our game, saying stuff like, "What a shitty shot!" and "Man, you guys suck!"

The bar was otherwise quiet, with only a couple of other patrons seated in a booth at the far end of the room. They glanced our way at the sound of the man's voice.

As I lined up to make a shot, he said, "Don't choke, asshole."

I set the pool cue on the table. As I made my way toward the man, the bartender, a matronly woman whom I'd known for years, hurried over and stepped between us. She said, "Now now, boys, we'll have none of that in here."

She nudged me back and asked that I get back to my game. Turning to the man, she said, "And you, Mister, keep your damn mouth shut."

As I walked away, I heard a commotion and turned in time to see the man slap the bartender across the face. She cried out, and he hit her again. She collapsed onto the floor, screaming and cursing.

He stepped over her and came straight at me. I couldn't believe how fast he was moving. His teeth were bared, and an unnatural, guttural screech accompanied his charge. Lucky for me, I was a half beat faster and stepped back in time to avoid the rush. I threw myself onto his back, and we both landed with a crash. He squirmed his way on top of me, clawing and kicking and foaming like a rabid dog. Spit flew out of his mouth as he growled, and it was all I could do to hold him back as he pressed closer and closer to sink his teeth into my throat.

I didn't see the blow that stopped the man's rage, but I heard it and he collapsed on top of me. The bartender stood above us, disheveled and breathing hard, the baseball bat held high for another swing that never came.

Later, after the cops had left, the bartender surprised us by saying, "You know, for a woman, that guy sure fought hard."

writeronfire
12-29-2009, 07:28 AM
I didn't see the blow that stopped the man's rage, but I heard it and he collapsed on top of me. The bartender stood above us, disheveled and breathing hard, the baseball bat held high for another swing that never came.
Later, after the cops had left, the bartender surprised us by saying, "You know, for a woman, that guy sure fought hard."

So the dude was actually a dudette?

Is this a true story or are you messin' with us?

ad_lucem
12-29-2009, 07:43 AM
So far as I can tell, first I was born and things just got curiouser and curiouser from that point onward.

Life is weird, but I have to admit kind of liking it that way.

Susie
12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Mr. Susie 'n I had something weird happen when I was on a train and lived in New York. A Chinese lady had a large bag which suddenly dropped and out came live crabs from the bag! They waltzed down the aisle and we all put our feet up while she ran after them. She grabbed every last one. That ol' lady was fast! :D

Sophia
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I couldn't believe how fast he was moving. His teeth were bared, and an unnatural, guttural screech accompanied his charge. Lucky for me, I was a half beat faster and stepped back in time to avoid the rush. I threw myself onto his back, and we both landed with a crash. He squirmed his way on top of me, clawing and kicking and foaming like a rabid dog. Spit flew out of his mouth as he growled, and it was all I could do to hold him back as he pressed closer and closer to sink his teeth into my throat.

As soon as I read the teeth and screech part, I knew it was a woman. It's a kind of deep-down instinctive violent reaction that I've never indulged in, but have imagined myself doing (with horror - I'd do my best never to do it). It might be because I've never had any kind of fight since childhood tussles with my brother; there's no ingrained grey area or idea of appropriate limits, just nought to sixty in one second.

rhymegirl
12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I was holding a small photo tightly between my hands and it just disappeared. I've never found it again.

I just wanted to add something here.

Considering what was said in some of the rep comments I received, it does make me wonder whether or not I might have some psychic or magical abilities.

I told an acquaintance about this event. She has studied/has some knowledge of spells/witchcraft/ghosts/guardian angels. She thinks someone was watching out for me and made the photo disappear as a way of saying "this person is not right for you and should disappear from your life." Interesting.

backslashbaby
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to add something here.

Considering what was said in some of the rep comments I received, it does make me wonder whether or not I might have some psychic or magical abilities.

I told an acquaintance about this event. She has studied/has some knowledge of spells/witchcraft/ghosts/guardian angels. She thinks someone was watching out for me and made the photo disappear as a way of saying "this person is not right for you and should disappear from your life." Interesting.

That's what mine was! It was the half parts of a photo I'd torn up of me and my guy. I tore it and put it in an envelope. Then I changed my mind and wanted to look at it again (within seconds) and his part was missing. All of him. I just had torn parts of me left.

I didn't listen then, but we were broken up within a couple of years... should have been sooner.

EFCollins
12-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Weird stuff, huh? Okay...

About 8 years ago, my husband and I moved to Wytheville VA. While we lived there, we had a visit from some Mormons, doing their door-to-door calls. We listen, ask questions. Being that I'm an atheist, you can imagine. I had some tough questions. We had a good time, the guys explained that they didn't know some of the answers, but were sure in time I'd know the truth etc. They were extremely nice. I fed them junk food and kool-aid and sent them on their way.

Not long after, my husband's job required us to move on to Pulaski Virginia. (the kids were babies, so the move wasn't traumatic for them) We get settled in and about two weeks after the last box was stuffed in the attic, the same two Mormon guys knock on my door. They had no way of knowing we'd moved. We laughed about it, they visited with us a bit, asked if we'd looked at the Mormon Bible they gave us. After a while, they went on to their ministering and I went on with my housework.

A couple months later I left my husband in Pulaski and returned to Bluefield WV. I got a job, bought my very own mobile home (which was a big accomplishment for a 19 year old single mother of three who waited tables for her payday) and did the needed repairs on my trailer (plumbing and other small stuff). I got moved in and settled into a routine. My husband got in touch with me after a month or two and we talked about things... mostly him moving back in with me. I agreed and he came home.

My youngest son was by then about five months old... and the very same Mormon guys come strolling up my driveway. I was putting out the trash and just stood on my porch, hands on hips, laughing like a mutha humpa. Guy #1 asks if I'm still an atheist, I ask if he's still a Mormon. We chit chat, they come in... we talk a bit about how weird it is that these two guys keep being drawn back to where I am in three different cities. They say perhaps someone is talking to me without words and I might want to listen. I tell them maybe, maybe not. I say more likely, they have a set route in which to minister and I just happened to be in those three cities. After all, how many other cities and towns had they visited where I wasn't? Guy #2 says he's never heard of anyone finding the same person over and over again.

Yes, it was odd. Did it make me believe in God? No. Did it make me believe that the Mormons go door to door by using a map and planning the best routes? Yep.

DWSTXS
12-30-2009, 02:47 AM
now that was a great story EF !

emilycross
12-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Not the strangest thing to happen to me, but once when myself and my friend went to the capital shopping, we were walking down the mainstreet. one of my favourite films is Amelie (a french film) which isn't well known (- it is but not in general public and its music certainly isn't).

So me and my friend walk into a shop and i start humming the main song out of nowhere (as you do), friend asks me what i'm humming and i say "its Amelie", - as soon as i said 'Amelie' the song came on in the shop.

Friend and I were slightly freaked, considering we'd never heard the song being played outside the movie before (or since) and it started right on the word lol.

aw silly coinkidenks!

DWSTXS
12-30-2009, 04:39 AM
a very weird thing happened to me at a party a few years ago. A group of us were all standing in a loose circle, talking, when a woman walked up to join us. Most of us had wineglasses in our hands. The woman walks up, steps into our circle to join us in our conversation, and as soon as she started talking, her wine glass slipped through her hand and everyone jumped back to avoid getting splashed. when i jumped back i stuck my foot out and her wine glass landed on my foot, straight up and i balanced it there until someone reached reached down and picked it up.

they were all looking at me like i was something bizarre, doing that, like i did it on purpose!

aadams73
12-30-2009, 04:59 AM
That's what mine was! It was the half parts of a photo I'd torn up of me and my guy. I tore it and put it in an envelope. Then I changed my mind and wanted to look at it again (within seconds) and his part was missing. All of him. I just had torn parts of me left.

I'm going to round out this freaky weird photo-disappearing trio. I carried a photo in my wallet of an old flame around for years. A few months ago I decided to clean house. Old love letters, etc., went in the trash. I looked for that photo intending to toss it along with everything else and it was gone. Not in my wallet, not in my purse, not with any of my other photos.

If that's not a sign, I don't know what is. :D

Silver King
12-30-2009, 05:23 AM
So the dude was actually a dudette?

Is this a true story or are you messin' with us?
You know I wouldn't pull your leg unless I was trying to steal your fine boots, right?

As soon as I read the teeth and screech part, I knew it was a woman...
You're a good reader, and I didn't realize I was revealing the person's gender before the end of the story. At the time, it came as a total surprise to those of us who were present.

The bartender and I both declined to press charges for assault, but the woman was hauled off anyway to be medically evaluated, which no doubt was in her best interest.

KellyAssauer
12-30-2009, 05:32 AM
What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you?

I'm so surprised no one has mentioned AW yet...

Silver King
12-30-2009, 05:57 AM
What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to you?

I'm so surprised no one has mentioned AW yet...
That's a good one! Now multiply that weirdness a thousandfold, and you'll know what it feels like to be Shanghaied into modhood. Nothing comes close to that level of strangeness in these parts, and I keep thinking one day someone will wake up and wonder why this fox was let into the hen coop in the first place. :D

writeronfire
12-30-2009, 06:28 AM
You know I wouldn't pull your leg unless I was trying to steal your fine boots, right?

You'll never get my boots.

Silver King
12-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Speaking of mod stuff, I received a reported post a while back that was stunning. Usually I don't have time, unless I'm on AW at the moment, to respond right away. But this one required immediate attention. The complaint outlined that the post was of the most profane and rudest of comments imaginable. In fact, in the annals of posting history, across the vast realms of the internet, this singular comment stood out as the most vile imaginable.

You can bet I wiped the sleep from my eyes and set my coffee aside to see what all the fuss was about. My heart raced as the link connected to AW. In a way, I was afraid to discover what would greet me, but in another sense I couldn't wait to find out what was going on.

When the page finally loaded, the comments looked oddly familiar. Then I realized it contained the very words I'd shared the night before. I had arrived at my own post.

I didn't know what else to do except to send myself a stern PM, demanding that I lay off of the offensive content...or else!

Wayne K
12-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Speaking of mod stuff, I received a reported post a while back that was stunning. Usually I don't have time, unless I'm on AW at the moment, to respond right away. But this one required immediate attention. The complaint outlined that the post was of the most profane and rudest of comments imaginable. In fact, in the annals of posting history, across the vast realms of the internet, this singular comment stood out as the most vile imaginable.

You can bet I wiped the sleep from my eyes and set my coffee aside to see what all the fuss was about. My heart raced as the link connected to AW. In a way, I was afraid to discover what would greet me, but in another sense I couldn't wait to find out what was going on.

When the page finally loaded, the comments looked oddly familiar. Then I realized it contained the very words I'd shared the night before. I had arrived at my own post.

I didn't know what else to do except to send myself a stern PM, demanding that I lay off of the offensive content...or else!
:roll:

KellyAssauer
12-30-2009, 07:06 AM
It's not the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me,
but I do often wonder...
How did they get so much satire in such a little fish?

Seaclusion
12-30-2009, 07:09 AM
It's not the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me,
but I do often wonder...
How did they get so much satire in such a little fish?

You've never heard of a 'puffer' fish

Richard

quickWit
12-30-2009, 07:09 AM

That'll learn ya, douchebag.

:D

Seaclusion
12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
That'll learn ya, douchebag.

:D

And another post gets reported.

Richard

semilargeintestine
12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
And it'll probably go to SK. :D

KellyAssauer
12-30-2009, 07:18 AM
And it'll probably go to SK. :D

And...

he'll probably say the say thing he did last time. =)

(I'd quote him, but ahem, I'm not that kind of gurl... shuddup bunneh)

L.J.
12-30-2009, 07:28 AM
I started writing a novel.

Silver King
12-30-2009, 07:42 AM
I started writing a novel.
Now that's the sanest thing I've heard all night. :)

semilargeintestine
12-30-2009, 07:53 AM
That's just because you don't know what it's about.

archerjoe
04-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Not sure how to present this but I'll try a timeline:

1993 - a co-worker of mine died at a relatively young age. I went to his funeral. Shortly after that, I left the company and moved away.

2003 - Facebook went live on the web

April 25, 2012 - Something comes up where I work now to remind me of my former co-worker. Out of curiosity, I search the internet for him. He had a rich life and I expected to find something but alll I could find was a reference to where he's buried and his Facebook page. With a recent picture (!). Same guy but the way he would look today, with the same impish grin, same eyes, etc. He has the same musical favorites he liked 20 years ago. The "other" links include some current political issues such as Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman.

Maybe he has a doppelganger about the same age with the same name. I'm kind of freaked out right now.

Death Wizard
04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
My ice maker has been giving me fits, so I finally went out and bought two ice trays to make ice the old-fashioned way. One day as I was refilling the trays, one of them vanished. I looked everywhere. Garbage can, pantry, garage, vegetable drawer, everywhere. Asked everyone in the house. Gone.

A month later, I found it ... tucked inside the other tray.

Okay, I know this isn't very weird. Just stupid.

archerjoe
04-25-2012, 11:09 PM
My ice maker has been giving me fits, so I finally went out and bought two ice trays to make ice the old-fashioned way. One day as I was refilling the trays, one of them vanished. I looked everywhere. Garbage can, pantry, garage, vegetable drawer, everywhere. Asked everyone in the house. Gone.

A month later, I found it ... tucked inside the other tray.

Okay, I know this isn't very weird. Just stupid.

You should cross-post that on the "You know you're getting old when..." thread :D

Wicked
04-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Not weirdest, but up there.

Apparently I have at least one doppelganger.

In High School I guy I met insisted I worked at the mall, and refused to believe me when I told him I didn't.

At our last base I kept running into people who kept asking me, "Hey, what are you still doing here? I thought you PCS'd out?" We had just arrived at the base, and I knew none of these people.

At the funeral of a relative, a couple and their adult son stared at me to the point it was raising the hair on the back of my neck. Finally they came over and apologized, but told me I looked exactly like the man's deceased sister, only younger. They were completely stunned. We didn't share any blood relatives.

Locally, I have a doppelganger who works/worked as a stripper. One Monday one of the Airman came into work and tried to discretely ask my husband if I had a night job. :roll:

jjdebenedictis
04-26-2012, 02:29 AM
My husband and I were visiting London, and my brother was flying in and planned to join us at the hotel. Then my brother called from the airport to say the train to the city was having issues and he was going to have to wait for the next one. Because of the late hour and the train's schedule, he didn't expect to be at the hotel for well over an hour and a half.

So my husband and I settled in to wait. It was late anyhow, and we were enjoying being back in a country where the television spoke English, regardless.

About thirty or forty minutes later, I got a strong feeling that I should go down to the lobby to check whether my brother was there. In my mind's eye, I could see him standing in the check-in line-up.

I dismissed that idea, knowing he couldn't be there yet. But as the minutes passed, I could not get that feeling to go away. I repeatedly told myself the idea was silly, but that strong urge to go check the lobby kept returning. And I kept picturing my brother standing in the line-up to check in.

My family has a couple of weird stories about people knowing things they could not possibly have known. I finally did a mental shrug and went down to the lobby.

He was in the other check-in line-up--not the one I had imagined--but he was indeed in the lobby and waiting to get his key. He'd found some other people who were stuck at the airport too. They'd decided to split a cab fare, but he hadn't wanted to slow the group down by stopping to call us again.

In hindsight--or foresight--I guess he didn't need to.

Silver King
04-26-2012, 04:46 AM
My mom reminded me recently of how my youngest brother used to predict things that would happen in films, describing scenes well before they happened. It was unsettling, in addition to ruining the movie for the rest of us.

He was quite young at the time, about five or six; and it didn't matter whether the film was shot in 1920 or was a new, first run production shown in theaters: He always, always knew how the movie would unfold and could even describe the ending while the opening credits were rolling.

No kidding.

Regardless of the film, he'd say, "I saw this movie before." Then he'd go on to tell us what was about to happen.

It was spooky in a way yet maddening to have him blab the story out loud before it had a chance to develop.

Looking back, I think my mom was worried sick and thought something was wrong with her youngest child. She forbade him to watch television (an unheard of thing back then), and he wasn't allowed to go to the movies with us anymore.

She jokes about it now, but it was no laughing matter at the time.

thorjansen
04-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Last week I was at a friend's house. Passing by the basement door, I heard a boom and saw the door rattle. Thinking someone (or their dog) might be stuck down there, I opened the door. Nothing was there. But I swear I felt something pass right through me. No, I do not believe in ghosts, spirits, etc.

Death Wizard
04-26-2012, 05:05 AM
You should cross-post that on the "You know you're getting old when..." thread :D

Ha!!!!! So true.

Death Wizard
04-26-2012, 05:07 AM
For what pathetically little it's worth, I've really enjoyed reading all these!

Snowstorm
04-26-2012, 05:35 AM
When I was in the Air Force, I was a first sergeant. One day I had to go nab one of my troops to haul his butt off to the base's lockup (tampering with a witness--long story). He was staying in billeting (like a motel). After I kept knocking on his door, the head guy for billeting let me in with his key.

No one around, but he'd left the iron on, the TV on, lights on, and his bathroom door was closed, the light was on and the fan was running. I knocked ... several times. My heart rate sped up. Damn, I could see him hanging from the curtain rod.

Yeah, I was scared. "Get a grip, do your job" I told myself. I reached out a hand to grip the doorknob. Like in the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch reaches for the ruby slippers on Dorothy's feet (without the visual affects though), I felt a jolt of electricity jump to my hands!

I stood back. Stunned. I thought the universe was telling me, yeah, he's dead on the other side of the door. I collected myself. "Just a fluke" I told myself.

I reached for the doorknob. The electric jolt happened again.

"That's it", I thought. The billeting boss just stood there and stared at me like "what the heck's the matter with you?!"

I called the security police to come. Sure enough, some young airman came in and I told him what was going on. I DID NOT tell him about the electric jolts. He must have thought I was a total idiot, but thankfully he kept it to himself as he opened the door. The bathroom was empty.

Yeah, I felt stupid (still do). But that was just too damn weird.

Final note: he got two years in federal prison.

Kenzie
04-26-2012, 06:26 AM
In my second year of university, I took a photography class. In one of the first lectures, the professor explained some of the assignments that were coming up, including one in which we had to take a series of photos that told a story. He then showed a few slideshows of previous students' assignments. One of them depicted a teenage girl in a bathroom, looking haggard, tired and distressed, then taking some pills and collapsing on the floor (very angsty stuff!). It took a few slides for it to occur to me that the girl looked quite a bit like me. One slide later, I thought 'holy crap, she actually looks exactly like me'. One slide after that, it finally clicked that it was me, and that it was my sister's assignment from when she did the same class a few years before. I immediately shrunk down in my seat hoping no-one in the class recognised me.

It's obviously not that odd that my sister's photos were shown in a class that we both took, but it was very odd that it took me so long to recognise myself, and to remember posing for the photos in the first place!

archerjoe
04-26-2012, 06:34 AM
Not sure how to present this but I'll try a timeline:

1993 - a co-worker of mine died at a relatively young age. I went to his funeral. Shortly after that, I left the company and moved away.

2003 - Facebook went live on the web

April 25, 2012 - Something comes up where I work now to remind me of my former co-worker. Out of curiosity, I search the internet for him. He had a rich life and I expected to find something but alll I could find was a reference to where he's buried and his Facebook page. With a recent picture (!). Same guy but the way he would look today, with the same impish grin, same eyes, etc. He has the same musical favorites he liked 20 years ago. The "other" links include some current political issues such as Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachman.

Maybe he has a doppelganger about the same age with the same name. I'm kind of freaked out right now.

Here's the Facebook picture (public profile but copied to my Flickr account):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5325/6968441534_d717a39aca_m.jpg

Here's a picture of someone else with the same name, 20 years ago:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7114520033_feb8e429be_m.jpg

See any resemblance?

Death Wizard
04-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Here's the Facebook picture (public profile but copied to my Flickr account):
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5325/6968441534_d717a39aca_m.jpg

Here's a picture of someone else with the same name, 20 years ago:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7114520033_feb8e429be_m.jpg

See any resemblance?

All I see is Brad Pitt and his brother.

Cliff Face
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Weirdest thing? Hmm...

I'll avoid the really embarrassing or distressing things, and jump to love at first sight!

Okay, so that's not entirely accurate. Here's how it happened:

I was 18, sitting outside a pub with some friends. I was bored, and watching people go by. No particular thoughts crossed my mind, until I saw one woman and thought, "Damn, now why can't I meet a girl like that?!"

She walked straight over, stood right in front of me, and said Hi. My friends had met her the night before and invited her along. I had never met her, nor seen a photo.

Unfortunately for me, I then spent about 5 years pining after her, and she didn't think of me that way.

But the way I met her is something that'll stick with me for the rest of my life! It was like an out-of-body experience - the thought I had that made it so weird was one I'd never had before. I was maturing, and this person just happened along.

In the world of statistics, it's not that weird. But it freaked me out.

And one recurring weird thing that has amazed me ever since I was about 10:

I was 10 when someone first pointed out to me the strange happening that when you first hear a new word, suddenly you notice it 3 or 4 times over the next few days, wondering how you had never heard this word before then.

Every time it happens it freaks me out. It's probably got some name, like "Selective Acknowledgement" or something... And it happens less over time, because eventually you've heard most words. But still...

heyjude
04-26-2012, 02:26 PM
What a great thread!

The weirdest thing to happen to me is a little too weird to put on a forum, but here's the 2nd weirdest:

I did not believe in ghosts when we moved into our house (brand-new) after getting married. Then one day I was carrying laundry into the kitchen and there was a man standing there. I dropped the laundry. I seriously thought I was having some kind of psychotic break. The man was see-through, wearing a white tee shirt and jeans. He smiled. I blinked, and he was gone.

The next time I saw him I panicked less. In all I probably saw him half a dozen times in that house, usually out of the corner of my eye. He always just stood there, watching, hands in his pockets.

A million times I thought about telling my husband and my pastor, but I was afraid they'd think I was crazy.

Oo, almost forgot. One day we were at the airport and the hubby left me with the kids (who were wee small at the time) to go get the car. I muttered "I hate being alone in the airport" turned around and there he was. Just for a blink.

Never saw him again after we moved out of that house.

Cliff Face
04-26-2012, 03:42 PM
He must've been your imaginary friend, waiting for you to play Hide And Seek. ;)

Actually, chances are ghosts would like playing Hide And Seek too. They pop out of nowhere, you hide under a blanket. :tongue

KellyAssauer
04-27-2012, 05:08 AM
That one time, at band camp, it started raining raspberry jujubes and when we tried collecting them with a rain fly little Alice Higginbottom tripped over Tuesday's biology merit badge project kicking up brightly colored mold spores which sent camp counselor Margo into a wild canvas waving anaphylactic shock mimicking naval aircraft carrier semaphore signals attracting the attentions of an 80 year old retired Tomcat pilot that made an emergency landing right across the hockey field which was too short leaving only the morning's bread delivery box truck between a careening Cessna and Lake Chicken Chimichanga...

Cliff Face
04-27-2012, 08:20 AM
I think we've all had days like that... *represent*

KRHolbrook
04-27-2012, 08:27 AM
I was talking to one of my friends and asked if anyone ever made a recipe for "I don't know," since my mom always asks me what I want to eat, and when I tell her I don't know she says she doesn't know how to make that.

So, I went and googled it.

And the first link I clicked on was a post made by Kristen (my name) saying the exact same thing I said to my friend.

That's the weirdest thing I can remember right now.

Moon Daughter
04-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Eh, well, the most disturbing thing that happened to me was I got a yeast infection...in my ass. There's a whole thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94717) on that one.

But the weirdest thing? My fiance and I were laying in bed, spending a little quality time together when for absolutely no reason his stereo system went off and the first thing we hear is "Break out through to the other side". Then the both of us saw this strange bluish glow/orb that disappeared. Normally, I'm skeptical when I think I've seen something because I hate resorting to thinking that any strange little thing is paranormal, but the BOTH of us saw exactly the same thing and there was no way for us to explain it. Plus, the song itself was kind of freaky.

jjdebenedictis
04-28-2012, 10:15 AM
his stereo system went off and the first thing we hear is "Break out through to the other side". Then the both of us saw this strange bluish glow/orb that disappeared. Ball lightning?

Um, ball lightning with freaky timing and a taste for The Doors...

Shakesbear
04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I've enjoyed reading through this thread. Thank you all for sharing.

I grew up in post war East London. The block of flats my parents moved into when I was about two years old was at the end of a dead end road and surrounded by fields on two sides. On one side of the field we could see from the kitchen window was a river. The river is a tributary of the Thames. There are two things that happened to me that I find hard to explain, both were on the field between the block of flats and the river.

I'd been ill and off school for about two weeks. My first day out I went for a walk round all three of the fields at the back of the flats. As I was approaching the foot path that led to the river I could see a man standing by one of the benches. As I got nearer I could see that he was painting. He had an easel set up and his equipment was all over the bench. I had my back to him as I walked down the footpath to the flats, and then could see him again as I turned into the drive. As I went into the block and opened the door of the flat. It was a ground floor flat. My cat welcomed me, and made it obvious that he wanted to go out. I walked through the flat to the sitting room and unlocked the French windows and cat and self stepped out side. I looked to the left expecting to see the artist. He wasn't there. I walked off the patio and could see the across all three fields. No artist. It was not possible for him to have packed up all his equipment and disappeared in the short time that it had taken me to get from the front door to the garden.

A couple of months later I went to catch a bus from the main road on the far side of the field. I walked along the tow path by the river and came out on the other side of the main road. I had to pass my local pub and it was not until I was at the bus stop that I realized that I had seen the artist leaning against the pub wall sketching. That evening I went to the pub for a drink with some neighbours and friends. One of them asked me what was wrong - so I told them what I had seen. Three of the crowd I was with smiled at me and told me that I had seen a man who used to live by the river and had, at the time, been a notable local artist. He had died during World War I. I don't believe in ghosts and have no explanation for what I saw.

The second strange thing - well, I am not sure if it was a practical joke or not. The local was a walk across a field. It was a regular Friday night event to go there. My neighbours would knock for me and we would walk across the field. In winter we would take torches as there was very little lighting. For some reason we rarely, if ever, used the footpath as we preferred to walk on the field. One night, on the way to the pub, I tripped over. I just went straight down and lay there
giggling. I was helped up and suddenly the atmosphere changed. I heard the eldest of the neighbours telling his son to get me out of there and to the pub, and he was to call the police! I had tripped over a dead body! Well! Once at the pub I was given a whisky and then a nice hot coffee. The police arrived and we went straight into silly question mode!
Police: Why did you trip over the body?
Me: Because I did not see it.
Police: Why didn't you see it?
Me: It was dark!
I honestly do not know if it was a joke or for real. I read nothing about the incident in the local paper or any where else.

Fins Left
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
I've dreamed about six different people before meeting them. As an example: In one dream, I was exiting the back of a building, a guy pulled in to park and we passed as he entered the building. Six month later, the exact thing (including same car, same clothes, etc) happened. Any time I've 'seen' these people in advance, they've always played a significant role in my life. I have one person that I've dreamed about that way that I have yet to meet. Because of the circumstances in the dream, I don't really want to meet him.

I've also had four people claim to have seen me in dreams before meeting me in much the same way. One woman looked like she was going to faint, another kept staring at me all night until she finally figured out how she 'knew me' The only thing they had in common was that they were associated to people I had already dreamed of.

Then, I've accidentally "known" things that come out in conversations and get me in trouble.

I was working closely with a supervisor once. We would be working closely on a project for nearly a year. During the first week, at a meal, I made a passing comment about his first wife. His face went flushed and he demanded how I knew about her. It turns out that he'd only been married 3 weeks 30 years prior and swore that he NEVER spoke of her. I couldn't explain except that he must have said something somewhere... anyway (given the environment we were in), he became suspicious that I was either psychic or a spy.

Then, on the same project, I'm driving down the road in a foreign country with a client. We pass a crop field. Trying to pass time, joking around, I asked if that was like the fields that made the airplane go all wobbly when he was learning to fly.

He slams on the breaks, skids to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Scared the crap out of me! Then, rips into me about "how did [I] know he ever took flying lessons!" I swore he must have mentioned it at the office. He swore that he would never have mentioned it because he was ashamed that he'd never had the courage to finish the lessons. Then he started demanding what else I was 'told' about him. The guy was going ape-shit and was going to dump me in the middle of no where, I didn't speak the language, and -honestly- had he had a gun, I have no doubt he'd have pulled it on me. He was absolutely convinced I was a spy.

THEN, to make matters worse, eventually he and my supervisor shared their suspicions with each other. Talk about my life being a living h***! The only thing that saved me from the paranoid freaks was the type of project were were on. They figured that, if I was sent in to spy, it had to be by someone higher up. So they talked themselves into being afraid of me and my "connections." That led to eight months of me constantly triggering their paranoia. Now, looking back, it's funny. But then, living through it was sort of scary.

heyjude
04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
It's so good to know that other people have weird stuff happen to them! I don't feel quite so strange now...

JoNightshade
04-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the great stories, everyone! I'm up at 4 AM trying to get over some nausea and these have been a great distraction. :)

Mine's not so awesome, but here it goes. When I was a kid I had this little charm bracelet and my favorite charm was this teeny tiny silver abacus, with all the beads and everything. One day I'm at school wearing it and I realize the abacus is gone! I conclude I must have lost it on the playground somewhere so I go out and scour the ground, everywhere I've been. Nothing to be found.

Fast forward about three years. I think at this point I'm in junior high but I live near the grade school and one day I happen to be hanging out on the empty playground after hours. I'm playing with a ball when I happen to glance down and... there's my abacus. Right at my feet out in the middle of the pavement. A little beat up and out of square, but still good!

twasadark
04-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Great thread! I don't know that it's the weirdest thing that ever happened to me, but here it is:

I was horribly depressed (history of depression, dysfunctional childhood, blah blah) and I went to a yoga studio that teaches a different kind of yoga than what I've done since then. They did a lot of standing rubbing your belly types of actions, haha. Anyhow, in an effort to sell me some sort of expensive workshop, one of the owners had me come into a little room and lay down on a mat. She then put her hands about two feet above my body, and scanned me like that, from head to toe. When she came to my heart area she said, "You have great pain here," or something to that effect. Immediately I felt a stabbing pain in my heart, which was weird because she didn't touch me at all, just the air above me. I was all: "Did she put the whammy on me??"

She explained that our bodies have an energy field that extends around our physical form and that our emotions can affect it. And when we're sad we can feel pain in our heart region, which is why we say, "He broke my heart."

Anyhow, I was rather freaked out, especially since the pain continued for a couple of weeks more. Eventually I recovered from the depression, but when I have some sort of traumatic event happen - like the death of my brother-in-law a few months back - I often feel that same pain again. I just remind myself that I'm all right, just feeling sad.

I guess what the yoga practitioners say about Chakras and so forth really is true. Or so I believe after this happened to me!

Moon Daughter
04-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Ball lightning?

Um, ball lightning with freaky timing and a taste for The Doors...

Ball lightning sounds good! We saw it near the stereo and its glow just got brighter and brighter and then it faded away into nothing. It was strange. But I guess stranger things have happened.

When I was a young girl, I'd put all my dolls in the closet because I was afraid of them coming alive at night. And I was never comfortable with the closets being open a crack because I hated that I couldn't see into it. So I always kept my closets closed. It's like a nighttime ritual for me.

I had a dream where I was laying in my bed (everything was the same as it was in real life) and for some reason I kept looking at my closet door. Shortly after, it started to open very slowly and of course I was scared shitless. Then this shadowy, wispy figure came forward from out of the closet opening. It looked like a shadow person with some sort of cloak/coat and a hat. I couldn't see its eyes, but somehow could see it staring at me. As it advanced towards me, I kept telling it to stay back. Each time I said those words, it'd stop and it was almost as if it laughed (though it never made a single noise) at me, and then continued to move towards me. It did this about five times before it was right next to me and it began to float off the ground and hover above me. As soon as it shot down to strike at me I woke up, looking up at the ceiling as I had in my dream. I looked towards my closet. It was open.

Another dream I had after that had other shadow people, but I could tell they were of a lesser power than the hat-wearing shadow. These ones had less of a humanoid form and had red, glowing eyes. They slithered off the walls and towards me, opposite of where my bed was. Everything in the dream was exactly as it was in real life, again. And when they struck, I woke up, in exactly the same position as I left off in the dream, looking at the same area.

I know they were dreams, but I read something about sleep paralysis where your body is in a sleep state, but your mind is completely aware of what is actually happening. Maybe it wasn't completely a dream?

jjdebenedictis
04-29-2012, 09:50 PM
I know they were dreams, but I read something about sleep paralysis where your body is in a sleep state, but your mind is completely aware of what is actually happening. Maybe it wasn't completely a dream?Brrr.... It would take me a long time to get over dreams like that. I also need my closet shut when I sleep.

My understanding of sleep paralysis is this: When you sleep, your body paralyses itself so you don't act out your dreams. With sleep-walkers, obviously something has gone wrong with this mechanism.

With sleep paralysis, it goes wrong in the opposite way. You wake up but are still paralysed.

Also, for some reason, it's very common for people to feel there is a malevolent presence in the room with them. It's also common for people to report feeling as if there is a heavy weight on their chest; this may be caused by the fact that you don't breathe as deeply when you're asleep, and your body is still locked into that shallow pattern of breathing even though you're awake and would like to breathe more deeply.

Sleep paralysis is surprisingly common. They estimate it happens to about half of all people at least once in their lives. I haven't experienced it, but I had a room-mate who did once, and it scared the heck out of her. She was convinced the devil had been sitting on her chest.

Carole
04-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Weirdest thing that's ever happened to me.

It could be the time I had to chase down the sacrificial chicken that escaped at the botanica.

Or it could be the time a Djinn appeared in my living room. Three witnesses, and no alcohol or other recreational stuffs had been consumed. It sounded like a transformer blew outside when it/he appeared.

Or it might be the time I looked across the living room into the dining room and saw myself sitting on the floor. That one was really weird.

thorjansen
04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Or it might be the time I looked across the living room into the dining room and saw myself sitting on the floor. That one was really weird.

The question is, did you have a conversation with yourself? What did "you" say?

Carole
04-30-2012, 10:50 PM
LOL! It was a quick, and very unexpected, out-of-body experience. I'd tried it for a week straight with a big fat zero in results. When it did happen, I wasn't prepared and it freaked my hubby, then boyfriend, out. What I saw was him with his hands on my shoulders, me looking for all the world like an empty shell and he was saying, "come back, sweetie."

Just another day at my house. :D

Archerbird
05-01-2012, 12:01 AM
This thread is fantastic. You guys are creeping me out. :D

What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me?

That must have been when I saw a shadow on my bedroom wall that I thought was my brother's, but when I turned around there was no one there.

Then there was a couple of times I had a whistling game with someone after I'd gone to bed. Don't know who with, but it only happened a couple of times, and no one else could hear the other whistler.

Or the time when I was a kid and saw my mother parking the car and bringing a grocery bag with her when she started towards the house. I ran to another window to wave at her, but she didn't come. I went back to the first window, thinking that she must have forgotten something in the car, only when I looked...*scary music* the car wasn't there.

I called her to ask why she had left. The thing was, she hadn't been home yet, she'd just finished her shift at work and was at the store. I didn't know she was going to the store after work, and when she *did* come home, she acted the same way I had seen through the window earlier, and was even carrying the same grocery bag.

This was late at night, with me home alone. I don't think I've ever been more scared (getting nervous just thinking about it, and this was a loooong time ago).

Incidentally, all of the above happened when I was a kid.
There are other things as well, that have happened later, but this is the weirdest I want to tell.

(Sorry for funky English)

KellyAssauer
05-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Okay, so here we are.
No, seriously!!!
Right here at AW...

... and it's Valentine's Day 2011, and my good writer friend and AW member SWestie says that she knows for certain that this is the day that she was conceived because her Mother tells her so.

Awe... okay... soo cute... so we all congratulate SWestie on being conceived today and and have fun and the next day comes and so on and so forth and we all forget about it. Now SWestie doesn't have her actual birthday listed in her details so none of us really know what day it is right?

~Wrong~

I get online and come to AW one wet and cold November morning and I'm checking stuff and suddenly -out of no where- this thought goes through my head: Isn't about nine months since Valentine's Day?

And on a total whim, I start a Happy Birthday thread for SWestie.

On her actual birthday.

How the heck did I do that?

brainstorm77
05-05-2012, 10:52 AM
I bought a house that was haunted with a lot of activity.

swachski
05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
About twenty years ago, I was working in Atlanta, GA. One morning as I was driving on the top level of the parking ramp next to my office, I looked in the rear view mirror and saw this tall monolithic metallic tower. It was solid looking, not just a radio tower grid, and was covered with these things that looked like satellite dishes, only convex and not concave. There were tons of construction projects in the area at that time, but I was stunned that I had never noticed this tower before. When I got out of the car and looked back, there was no tower there.

zahra
05-12-2012, 03:56 AM
Three coincidences concerning the same person happened to me.

1. I was in a show with this actress, call her Angela, and we started talking about using our mums' maiden names as our stage names. She said hated her mum's, Cropper. I said I hated it too, because I'd had a vile teacher called Miss Cropper. (Bear in mind, I'd grown up in London and she many miles from there). Angela said her aunt had been a teacher, and I said, "Mine was only Miss Cropper for a while, because she got married and became Mrs - " and we both said, "Kirkpatrick!" Same damn woman.

2. I was telling my sister about the above, walking along a busy road in the West End of London. As I hit the punchline, we ran straight into Angela.

3. Weirdest. I'd been unemployed for a while and was feeling bad about myself and going through a horrible period of envy of Angela, who'd become very successful, so I'd turn over the TV channel every time a promo for her new serial came on. One day, the TV in my bedroom, which was on standby, suddenly turned itself on just as I came into the room. Guess what was being promo'd at that very moment? The TV had never turned itself on before and never did again, nor has any TV I've had done so.

Cliff Face
05-12-2012, 06:02 AM
By no means the weirdest thing to happen to me, but one I remembered recently.

I was at a big outdoor concert festival. There was a massive crowd all around me (I was a bit back from the technical mosh pit, though still well within the "I'm listening to this band!" area) and Metallica were playing onstage.

I was trying to manoeuvre my arms so I could put my hands in the air. As my hand became flat-horizontal in front of me, ie. palm up to the sky, a cigarette flew out of the crowd to the right and landed smack dab in the middle of my palm, and stayed there!

Me and some stranger next to me who had seen it happen had a good laugh about it.

Weird.

(Oh, it wasn't lit, so I didn't get burnt or anything. Just a big coincidence.)

I survived
05-12-2012, 09:43 PM
One of the strangest things that ever happened to me was when I was driving down the interstate behind a white truck. It was one of those PU trucks with lots of cabinets that open from the top that electricians often use. So here I am going 70 miles an hour behind the truck and the cabinets and they start to open and huge turtles statrt to plop out and onto the highway. There must have been at least 25 of them. They had to close the whole inbound side for about 15 minutes while the guy caught all his turtles. I was late for work but I sure had a better excuse than the dog ate my homework!