macallisterstone.com
"[We] will do whatever it takes to reach [our] goal." </heavy, dripping irony>

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be be shaking my head over this one for a long time.
Glad the bill died.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rep. Allen should go back to school. It's obvious he missed learning the definition of censorship.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like Allen is protesting too much. How many gay legislators would have allowed this to continue to keep their secrets?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested if he seriously followed the argument.
Forget homosexuality. It is undisputed that divorce and extra marital affairs leads to the breakup of families.

So all books written by divorced people, or containing characters who are divorced should be removed from circulation.

And why the exemption for 'classics'? Clearly Shakespeare was living in an 'unexceptable lifestyle'?

Clearly we should be protecting people from Shakespeare. And that's before we get to his use of witchcraft in his plays.

Not to mention the Bible, which contains many stories of people living in 'unexceptable lifestyles'....

Mac

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
What a moron! I think we should ban him from the human race.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I guess he wants all authors to remain in the closet. Just so he doesn't know they are gay.

Who in the Color Purple is gay? When the singer lady helps Whoopi's character, Ceily, discover that her body has pleasures, it's to help a friend. It's nothing to do with being gay. PLUS .......the two women touching is implied, not seen.

Trying to find books or movies that do not have implied references to homosexuality would be impossible. Better to just burn the libraries and bookstores down to the ground and start over.

Even the BRADY BUNCH - a wholesome family show - had a real life gay man as the father. (Mike BRADY.) Banning the BRADY BUNCH would be un-AMERICAN!

Ban The Lion King - because Elton John sings the theme song - he's gay!

Last edited:

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Ha Ha - and they can't watch any televised sports .....what if a marching band plays Queens "We are the Champion?" Freddie Mercury was gay!

They can't watch "Finding Nemo," because Ellen is gay!

The list goes on.

JustinoXXV

Banned
Reaction score
This law, if passed, never would have survived court challenges. It's clearly unconstitutional.

"The mentality of "a lawmaker." No wonder I despise white men. "

There are women, and men of all races, who are as anti gay as Allen, if not more so. So I think Allan's race should be left out of this.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
No wonder I despise white men.

what rare and delicious irony it is when a writer lashes out at such a bigoted attempt at legislation by invoking, herself, the two-headed snake of racism and sexism.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Good thing the bill died... but it's scary to think that there are a lot of morons/bigots like him in this country...

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I don't think there are nearly so many as they'd have us believe, Ray. :)

They're just so loud.

I honestly think most folks are decent and reasonable people, living their lives as best they can--and they don't really give a rip what we all do in our own bedrooms.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Mac, you hit the nail right on the head: bigots and the christian right(same people really) are so darn loud and in this political climate they seem to get more press.

Personally I don't care what goes on in anyone else's bedroom, hetero or homosexual. And I don't give a rat's hiney what sexual preference the writer of a darn good book follows.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
The mentality of "a lawmaker." No wonder I despise white men.

Have you guys had your coffee yet?

Actually - I'm married to a white man, my father was a white man ......and the list goes on.

So - I really don't despise all white men - but I do despise the white man like the man who tried to create the law mentioned in this thread. The man who killed off the Indians - kept slaves, kept women from voting, and generally hasn't lightened up much in the last several hundred years.

The man who thinks he owns everything. The man who is a racist. The man who believes that, because he is rich , he can destroy anything in his path that he disagrees with. The man who continues to produce and drive giant trucks and SUV's .........instead of promoting alternative power sources and fuels. The man who turns a blind eye to factories dumping chemicals in our water, and deadly gases and vapors into the air we breathe. The man who mows down trees and hunts animals and birds into near extinction.

And yes "white man" can be "white woman." I detest people who trample on others freedom, and kill things in their path.

If enough people cared, we could change things. We could drive hybrid vehicles and reduce fuel consumption, as well as planet-warming emissions.

Or, we can continue on the same self destructive path and possibly destroy the future for our grandchildren. If the choice is up to all of us = how come a few are making the decisions?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
yes, i had had my coffee. it was new orleans blend, with chicory.

no amount of back-pedalling is going to unsay your words. nice try with the hubby being white (kind of like "some of my best friends are black, but...").

your statement was patently racist and sexist. the "no wonder" was an attempt to justify your feelings by using this particular issue to validate your bigotry toward a particular (and entire) race and sex.

anyway, that's fine. the first amendment protects your right to spew such bile. it just amazes me that your political blinders keep you from seeing how ridiculously obvious it is.

Doyle

Registered
Reaction score
Well done William, well done.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Restrictions on books are not really a new topic...many states (or at least municipalities) have bans on particular books for these same reasons.

I, too, find the use of sexism and racism pretty ironic here...

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
no amount of back-pedalling is going to unsay your words. nice try with the hubby being white (kind of like "some of my best friends are black, but...").

Yeah - except for the fact that I'm a white person - from an entirely white family, and have two white daughters. But, my dad - although completely white skinned ....still cared about people, the environment and animals - and was a live and let live kind of man.

Anyway - I'm not back pedaling - I detest the conservative white man - he is wholly responsible for the shape the world is in ......so there.

(I edited my original post .................so there.)

Anyway - what's wrong with someone hating the white man? He surely has spread his share of hatred towards others. Maybe I'll start a club.

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Anyway - what's wrong with someone hating the white man?

um... it makes one a racist?

look at those white men spreading their hatred! let's hate them all. that's the liberal way!
mlk-jr-march.jpg

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Jenna- This story is very alarming!

The response here is really shocking to me. You can't combat hate with hate. Doesn't that make things worse? If we want the world to practice tolerance, we need give it a shot.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Not really. In order for me to be a racist - I would have to believe that one race is superior to others. I don't believe that.

Just like this:

"Right, I'm a bigot, I know, but for the left." (Annie Hall; writing credit: Woody Allen ; Marshall Brickman.)

How can someone disgusted by the actions of their own race be bigoted? Do I believe that someone else is superior to me, because I'm white?

Sounds ridiculous to me. Yes - I'm a bigot for the left. I agree with the little guy - the stepped on - the small people without voices. So sue me.

Would it have been better if I would have said "I despise men?" I don't, but maybe it's the word "white" that upsets people. Or, how about "I despise people who look like me?" Would that be considered hateful or racist?

Last edited:

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
look at those white men spreading their hatred! let's hate them all. that's the liberal way!

Nice try. Liberals are for change. Change benefits everyone - not just the ones who already have it all.

Martin Luther King was a not a conservative ........and neither were those guys standing by him - unless they had a gun in his side.

Status
Not open for further replies.