What makes a manuscript 'suitable' for this market?

Annmarie09

Live. Love. Laugh.
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of starting to submit to American publishers. Lots of people on this site have said that this is fine, as long as you think your book could appeal to an American market. My question is: how can a book appeal to the American market? Should it be set in America, or include American culture? My book is set in England, so I'm not sure if subbing to American agnets is a good idea or not :/

Anyway, yeah, thank you for any replies :)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know much about markets but I don't see, at least from your post, why a story set in England wouldn't appeal to Americans.

Bridget Jones' Diary was in England, wasn't it?

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
You just have to try. Remember if a piece of literature is good then the setting doesnt matter. Dont we all enjoy Russian, French, African, Asian and all sorts of authors?

I would rather you were yourself if the manuscript was as good as you could make it.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of fiction set in England sells very well in America. American readers like all kinds of stories, but I will say that we tend to like (slightly) less flowery description and (slightly) more plot/action than seems to be popular in other countries.

Chances are good that your book will appeal to American readers, though. I really don't think we're that different from British readers.

Annmarie09

Live. Love. Laugh.
Registered
Reaction score
thank you for the responses guys, makes sense to me. I shall start doing research on a couple of American agents then :)