Writing what you want to write vs what you feel you SHOULD write

Status
Not open for further replies.

unlikelyheroine

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I think to be honest that I already know the answer to this one in terms of what I myself should be doing, but I would be really interested to get people's opinions on whether they go through the same thing I do. My problem is, that I am motivated to write certain kinds of fiction - sci-fi and fantasy mostly, but also pretty standard crime and mystery fare. Now I have to concede that whilst I aim to write a decent story well, there are certain aspects of the fiction I enjoy writing that even I have to admit are somewhat "cheesy." Nonetheless I really enjoy setting all the ideas down on paper, in all their cheesiness!

My only problem is this feeling that when I write this type of thing I am being a little bit naughty and frivolous and that I should be writing (or trying to write) "realistic" fiction that means something... I'll be honest that I think a literary-type novel of weight and meaning is probably somewhat beyond me and that I believe I want to write for fun and enjoyment more than recognition or success etc. With that I mind, I believe I should just carry on enjoying myself... But does anyone else get that guilty feeling from time to time that they are writing something "fun"?

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
But does anyone else get that guilty feeling from time to time that they are writing something "fun"?

Not me. I know damned well that if I ever publish my work, I'll probably be scorned by the literary establishment as a hack. I know I'm not going to win any awards for Starbreaker, no matter how deep I dig into the psychology of my protagonist and antagonist. I'm fine with that. I didn't start writing because I thought I'd win the fucking Nobel Prize.

I started writing because I couldn't afford to have anything resembling a social life in high school and college, and didn't want to admit that I wasn't dating because I was broke. :evil

Wipe the word "should" from your vocabulary. Do it now. If you want to write science fiction, or mystery, or erotica, then write that -- and do the best damned job you can. That's your only obligation, and it's an obligation you owe to yourself first and foremost -- to decide for yourself, follow through, and give the work you've chosen for yourself the best effort you can.

And if anybody objects, tell 'em to fuck off.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
What Mgraybosch said. Also, if you aren't writing what you want to write but only what you think you should be writing, it'll show, it won't have the 'ring of truth' to it....and the work will probably fail. You have to write for yourself first. Anything else is cheating both yourself and any potential readers.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
But does anyone else get that guilty feeling from time to time that they are writing something "fun"?

Nope. You're looking at a woman who put turnips in because she knows it'll make her other half giggle, and five cameo appearances by wrestlers because my mates had fun trying to figure out which ones they were. I write for / with fun. And I still got accused of being deep the other day.

If it's not what you want to write...why do you want to write it? I write because I love to do so. Sometimes a bit of cheese gets in there. Okay, my first drafts look like they've been liberally sprinkled with Stilton lol. But if I want I can tone it down / tweak on the rewrite. And as Terie said, if it's not fun for you it'll show. If it's not fun for you, how the heck is it going to be emjoyable for the reader?

Sevvy

Spec Fic Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Write what you want to write, and write it to the best of your ability.

CK Matthews

Beta reader on the look out.
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, you're questioning whether you are allowed to write for fun? Of course. If you're not having fun, why do this? Writing is frustrating. Don't make it harder on yourself. I would write the kind of stuff that you enjoy both reading and writing. You're the one that's going to be spending hours with your work, at least initially.

Just have fun.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. The notion that 'literary fiction' is more weighty, significant, meaningful, or important than 'genre fiction' is pure uncorrupted bullshit, pardon my french. If you're getting that message from anybody, stop listening to them. For reals. For a contrasting POV, google 'science fiction ghetto' or 'genre fiction ghetto' (not to be confused with the genre of ghetto fiction, a totally different thing :) )

2. Writing for fun versus writing for market: I don't think literary novels sell better than genre novels. I mean, every genre has its super-successful authors who sell zillions of books...but I don't think the average literary novelist is more recognized or successful than the average crime/mystery/SF/fantasy novelist. In fact I suspect the reverse is true. Within your chosen genre, you can tailor your writing more towards the market, or more towards what you have passion for. I think people succeed doing both.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
My goodness -- we literary writers certainly don't have a corner on meaningful stories. I write literary fiction but I read more genre fiction than anything else -- I love sci-fi and fantasy, and I've even been known to enjoy a few romances and horrors here and there. Sci-fi and fantasy writers, like all others, and including literary writers, produce stories that are full of deep meaning, beautiful prose, and memorable images. I count Ursula K. LeGuin, Philip K. Dick, and Ray Bradbury among my most influential writers.

You should write whatever story you feel like you want to tell. If you're not writing the style and genre you love to write, you won't write your best. Whatever you produce will feel stretched, like it's trying too hard. Don't for a second think that because you're not writing something that would be marketed as "literary" or "mainstream" that you can't tell a meaningful, beautiful story that will last for generations.

Even if the only meaning you want to convey with your writing is fun entertainment, that's a perfectly lofty goal. It's a rare soul who can entertain an audience, and fun fiction has all my respect.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The minute a writer climbs on a soapbox (which can result from forcing a socially redeeming message), he/she risks replacing entertainment with author intrusion and moralizing. While the two "sides" are not mutually exclusive, it's best to write what you want to write and not worry about how it plays out. Some people are able to write extremely entertaining stories that also carry heavy social messages, but I doubt they have to sit down and force themselves to do it that way. I suspect it just happens in much the same way our stories "happen" to us. Write the stories that are in you, not the ones you think should be around you.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Write about what you're passionate about. Anything else will be a chore and will ring false to the reader.

Reaction score
Write what you love. There's no nobility in writing like a martyr. That way lies automatic wallbangage.

unlikelyheroine

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. On the subject of the literary fiction etc, it's not that I think it is better so much as that is the message I get from some people around me but I take on board what is said here and I will just ignore them ;)

I've begun a WIP today which is a big steaming pile of cheese and such a self-indulgence in terms of subject matter (a sort of futuristic SF thing with a vague military feel, my favourite!) and I've got more than 1,000 words down. They're not great words but they're the beginnings of a first draft of something and they're 1,000 words I found very easy and fun to write, so I think, thanks to that little experiment and the helpful advice here, I have my answer!! :D

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. You're looking at a woman who put turnips in because she knows it'll make her other half giggle, and five cameo appearances by wrestlers because my mates had fun trying to figure out which ones they were. I write for / with fun. And I still got accused of being deep the other day.

If it's not what you want to write...why do you want to write it? I write because I love to do so. Sometimes a bit of cheese gets in there. Okay, my first drafts look like they've been liberally sprinkled with Stilton lol. But if I want I can tone it down / tweak on the rewrite. And as Terie said, if it's not fun for you it'll show. If it's not fun for you, how the heck is it going to be emjoyable for the reader?

To take this a step further, if it's not enjoyable to you, why the heck would you keep doing it?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Writing is something you sit and tear your hair out about for months and months, instead of going to the pub with your friends. You better enjoy it, or you'll go mad.

That was a joke, but still not. There's a bit of truth in it. Unless you actually enjoy watching paint dry on the wall, then there's no point in engaging in this slooooow artform's composition stage. :D

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Depth is not about subject but what the writer has to say. And quality of writing is entirely the writer's skill -- not the subject written about.

Write what you'd read -- because what you read is what you'll think about, and the best writing you read will inspire you.

(And only let people tell you what you should write if they'll let you tell them what they should eat)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Thank you for all your replies, much appreciated. On the subject of the literary fiction etc, it's not that I think it is better so much as that is the message I get from some people around me but I take on board what is said here and I will just ignore them ;)

Then tell them the truth. Literary fiction is just another genre, no more inherently 'worthy' than any other. It's a different style of writing, with different conventions, same as Romance generally has different conventions to Fantasy. That's all.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I think when you're writing intending to publish or you want to 'make it big' then you get worried that your work is 'insignificant' or 'slight' but if you're writing out of mere obligation, you won't enjoy it and it won't be as important to you if other people enjoy it.

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Just because literary types dislike SF&F don't mean they're right. I'd much rather read about whizz-bang starships and flash-bang spell craft that wham-bang relationship drivel.

That article in Wired: ah so, now I understand why post-apocalyptic etc no longer means Science Fiction; is that where 'Magic Realism' came from to?

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Just because literary types dislike SF&F don't mean they're right. I'd much rather read about whizz-bang starships and flash-bang spell craft that wham-bang relationship drivel.

Heeeey! There are lots of us literary types who also love starships and spells and talking animals and all the rest. I sure wish more literary readers (and writers!) would pull their heads out of their butts and read some good sf&f. There really is some amazing writing to be found in that genre.
That article in Wired: ah so, now I understand why post-apocalyptic etc no longer means Science Fiction; is that where 'Magic Realism' came from to?

Ha!! I've got to read that. The other gal at the book store and I always rant over why certain authors' sci-fi books are shelved in Literary when they are CLEARLY sci-fi and belong on the Sci-fi shelves!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think you have to write what you love to read, and hope a great big bunch of readers out there love the same thing.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Write what you love and enjoy. In the struggle to land an agent,write a terrific query,a killer synopsis,go raving mad waiting for a response and such,many writers forget that writing IS fun!

If you don't enjoy what you're writing,WHY are you writing in the first place? I think that produces a rather resentful and bitter writer.

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Heeeey! There are lots of us literary types who also love starships and spells and talking animals and all the rest. I sure wish more literary readers (and writers!) would pull their heads out of their butts and read some good sf&f. There really is some amazing writing to be found in that genre.

Shame on you for being so open minded. How are publishers supposed to market to you if you insist on reading whatever you like.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Shame on you for being so open minded. How are publishers supposed to market to you if you insist on reading whatever you like.

That's not Libbie's problem. It's not my problem either. In fact, don't market to me. Just publish the damned books and let me know what's going to hit the fan and when it will hit. I'll decide for myself if it's worthy of my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.