The Happy Dance at Antwerp Railway Station

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. This is so cool, thanks for sharing it. I would love to see more of this sort of thing done.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh....FLASH MOB! I've heard rumors that they were organizing one in my area. If I can find out enough about it, I'm totally in.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a story there . . . or at least a book title.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I love this.

I suppose if I started dancing in the middle of Walmart, I'd end up at the 'farm'.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...We need more spontaneous song and dance in our lives... we are so jaded.
I agree we're often jaded, but there doesn't appear to be much spontaneity in that clip. It all seems well planned and choreographed. A group that large simply won't move in sync unless they've rehearsed beforehand.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
In the remarks area it is said that they had two rehearsals for this.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Unless it's a school of fish.
You have a good point there. In fact, toward the end of the video, the crowd does compress and move in unison like a giant wad of bait fish.

Which reminds me of why some fish are so smart: because they travel in schools, of course. :e2fish::e2fish::e2fish::e2fish:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I agree we're often jaded, but there doesn't appear to be much spontaneity in that clip. It all seems well planned and choreographed. A group that large simply won't move in sync unless they've rehearsed beforehand.

Obviously. But I'm sure it FELT spontaneous, being totally unexpected....

how often do you see a large group of people burst into song and dance?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Obviously. But I'm sure it FELT spontaneous, being totally unexpected....

how often do you see a large group of people burst into song and dance?
When it's been planned, too many times to count.

I'd be surprised if the small ring of onlookers at the end of that clip weren't involved in the production as well.

It's a pretty cool video, but I'd bet my left nut hand that the entire thing was staged from start to finish.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
WTF??? That's not a Michael Jackson song. And look at the date, it's even before, uh ...

March 23, 2009

More than 200 dancers were performing their version of "Do Re Mi", in the Central Station of Antwerp. with just 2 rehearsals they created this amazing stunt! Those 4 fantastic minutes started the 23 of march 2009, 08:00 AM. It is a promotion stunt for a Belgian television program, where they are looking for someone to play the leading role, in the musical of "The Sound of Music".

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Man that just made my day. Seriously. So incredibly awesome.

Every year my students make a class video for a contest for the school festival. We have workout videos here called Billy's Boot Camp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOXTVTJ-JWk), and a couple of years ago, one of the classes went around the school getting teachers, the principle, etc. to join in. The best part, though, was when they had a section that was done at the local train station. You know that must have been a blast to watch a bunch of high school kids and their teachers out at the train station doing something like that.

Anyway, this video made me so happy. I'm with Bettielee on this. Even if it was rehearsed, for all the random people going to their train it was spontaneous. That looks like so much fun. :) Gosh I'm a total sap.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

Unless it's a school of fish.

Or skylarks. I love skylarks!

There's another clip on that page, of the same song done in a Wellington, NZ station. Now THAT one is totally professional and choreographed, and has none of the effect of sheer joy.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
That was so cool!! I can just hear my dad now, though: "It's a train station. People need to walk through there!" Bwahaha!

If anyone is ever in Winston-Salem, NC, please visit the School of the Arts Campus for a place where this happens daily. Pirouettes out of nowhere, opera, anything you can think of, just as students walk by. I got to be a nanny for a baby on campus while I went to a more boring school :D